Enable WOL on a ASUS P5LD2 mobo?

Figured it out myself, it wasn't a bios setting afterall, but an issue with the driver not putting the onboard nic into wol mode.  After issuing a

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

command, my machine wakes up real nice after power down.  This coupled with the ability to shut it down remotely (from a batch script if necessasry) means the wife is happy that this thing is not running 24/7....  :).

I have included the above command into a script on the boot flash device so eth0 is put in wol mode on each boot.

Hopefully this comment might help someone else.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I have the P5LD2 SE R2.0 and have tried to set WOL as descibed here...

root@Tower:~# ethtool -s eth0 wol g

and I get

root@Tower:~# Cannot get current wake-on-lan settings: Operation not supported

not setting wol

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Also...

I have included the above command into a script on the boot flash device so eth0 is put in wol mode on each boot.

Would adding the command line "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" to the end of the "go" script be sufficient?

Thanks,

Mark.

I didn't think unRAID did WOL? 

This is a feature I've been waiting for - so am I right in thinking this is possible (With the right MB?).

I'm running an ASUS MB, accessed via XBMC.  How would this work?  I guess it requires a script for both wakeup and shut down?  Would be really keen to get this working.

Help always appreciated. :)

WOL is basically a feature of the MB Bios. It works fine on my intel board with nothing done within unRAID, though some have had to do the eth0 config steps mentioned above. The NIC listens for the WOL packet and turns on, or wakes up, the machine. What is NOT currently supported in unRAID is S3 standby mode. My machine stays on 24/7, so it's not an issue with me, but once, as a test, I shut it down, sent a magic packet to the machine and it came right up. Sometimes, especially with add-on NICs I'd think you need to make sure the NIC itself is ready to respond to the WOL packet. Mine (Intel board with Intel Pro 1000 PCI card) worked with no changes.

WOL is basically a feature of the MB Bios. It works fine on my intel board with nothing done within unRAID, though some have had to do the eth0 config steps mentioned above. The NIC listens for the WOL packet and turns on, or wakes up, the machine. What is NOT currently supported in unRAID is S3 standby mode. My machine stays on 24/7, so it's not an issue with me, but once, as a test, I shut it down, sent a magic packet to the machine and it came right up. Sometimes, especially with add-on NICs I'd think you need to make sure the NIC itself is ready to respond to the WOL packet. Mine (Intel board with Intel Pro 1000 PCI card) worked with no changes.

Sorry it's taken a couple of days to get back to this post.  So what you're saying is that WOL will wake up the machine from fully powered down (compared to just waking up from standby with unRAID already running) - so unRAID would have to run up through its start cycle, which I could live with as a short term solution (a long term one is that Tom programs an S3 mode into unRAID).

Not sure if XBMC could run a magic packet, but another thing my ASUS MB can do is start from a keyboard spacebar action.  This could be triggered by a relay perhaps to do the same thing.  Obviously, some further sussing will be required on my part.

As an after-thought...it would seem a lot of users here (based on my memory only from reading heaps of posts) run their servers 24/7.  Are there any statistics (or user input) as to the longevity/reliability of unRAID running 24/7 compared to switching it on and off?

Suse User,

Sorry, don't get to this forum all that often.  My Unraid config has been working well for the last month or so.  I use WOL all the time.  I see no point in giving money to my utility by running 24x7  ;D  ...

There is no BIOS setting on this MOBO for WOL.  It is configured in the default setting, but must be "activated" by an OS level driver.  I added the above string to the end of my GO script and that "resets" the WOL at the NIC on each boot and seems to work just fine.  I use Fusion WOL in XP to wake up the box as needed.  The half a minute or so it takes to boot is not an issue, then I just power down when I am done via the web interface.  I have been planning to try the telnet script some folks here use, but never got around to it.  On my Mac I use Dirk Lembens WakeOnLan which also works flawlessly.  There are lots of differnet Apps for WOL and it is eminently scriptable if you like the command line.

Good luck and enjoy