Level one certification: ASUS P7H55-M LE

I have been running the ASUS P7H55-M LE for about two weeks now. 

Newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131661

ASUS link: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=R6oEda1Jsq2P67Ft

Quick specs: Core i7/i5/i3; 2 slots DDR3, 6 SATA, 1x PCI-e 2.0 16x, 1x PCI-e 4x, 2x PCI, HDMI, etc.

I originally had 8 drives going (including cache), but I had to remove 3 for RMA replacement.  So, at the moment, here's my config, running on unRAID Pro 4.6-rc3:

ASUS P7H55-M LE

Intel Core i3-540

G.Skill 4GB DDR3

Corsair 650TX

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

3x WD20EARS (including Parity)

1x WD15EARS

1x WD1001FALS (cache)

The attached syslog is from 11/25/2010, up until now (4 days).  In my limited opinion, this board is absolutely compatible with unRAID.  Gigabit works great... onboard SATA is solid (I am running 4 of my drives on the 6 onboard ports, the other on the SM SASLP)... I have not found even one board-related issue. 

Hope this helps the community!

syslog-2010-11-28.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to make a note about BIOS config for this board, as I forgot exactly how I set it up to boot from the flash (then today, as I had to make some changes to update the firmware on a Seagate drive, I had issues getting it back to normal).

You need to enable Forced-FDD emulation for the unRAID USB drive (I can't recall the exact menu option, but it's USB configuration near the chipset stuff).  Then, under Boot | Hard Disks, disable all disks except for the flash drive (yeah, it shows up there, for whatever reason).  Finally, under boot order, enable the USB flash drive as the first and only device.  That should make everything work perfectly!  

This is likely a similar process for other recent ASUS boards.

On a different note, I haven't read about anyone else using this board, but I still plan on certifying this at level 2.  I think I'm at the point where I'm no longer making major config changes, rebooting, etc., so I should be able to have this running for a month straight.

Syslog looks normal to me, I'll add this board to the wiki.  Thanks very much for doing this testing, it is very helpful to the community!  This is only the second H55 board on the hardware compatibility list.  I'm sure there's plenty of new users who would like an i3 build but are unsure about which motherboard to use.  The more H55 boards that make the list, the better.

You need to enable Forced-FDD emulation for the unRAID USB drive (I can't recall the exact menu option, but it's USB configuration near the chipset stuff).  Then, under Boot | Hard Disks, disable all disks except for the flash drive (yeah, it shows up there, for whatever reason).  Finally, under boot order, enable the USB flash drive as the first and only device.  That should make everything work perfectly!

Thanks! After reading your other posts about this MB, I bought one and have struggled some before being able to boot. Using a Corsair USB Voyager 4GB it seems that enabling Force-FDD only made the USB "disappear" (led on USB would never go on again) but using the default "auto" (and following your other settings) worked fine for me.

Thanks! After reading your other posts about this MB, I bought one and have struggled some before being able to boot. Using a Corsair USB Voyager 4GB it seems that enabling Force-FDD only made the USB "disappear" (led on USB would never go on again) but using the default "auto" (and following your other settings) worked fine for me.

No problem!  Sorry the Forced-FDD didn't work for you, but glad its working overall for you.  I think you'll like this board.  It's been rock solid for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This may be a stupid question buts whats the difference between the ASUS P7H55-M boards - there seems to be 3/4 variations...LE/LX/PRO/USB3 etc

Without looking at the specs closly I would assume the LE is a "light version" the LX has a few more features, the PRO is decked out (eSATA plus extras probably), and the USB3 has just that USB3.  I suggest going to the manufacturers website and doing a comparison there.

Do you think its safe to assume that they would all be compatible?

NO, the manufacturer can change any number of things between revisions.  There is one board that is discussed a lot here that has an LE version.  The LE version uses a Atheros NIC which is known to have problems with data transfers.

Saw this thread and figured I would chime in.  I'm new to Unraid and just completed my first build early last month.  Unraid is great!  

I'm using the ASUS P7H55-M LX and have been running it for almost a month and half, with the last 25 days being uninterrupted uptime.  The board is great; it has built in video, 6 on board SATA, 1 PCI x16, and 1 PCI x4.  Here is the rest of my configuration:

Intel Core i3-540

Kingston ValueRAM (2x1 gb)

Antec EarthWatts EA750

SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8

8x Seagate 2 tb Barracuda LPs

1x Seagate 1.5 tb Barracuda

An old Antec server case that I repurposed (not sure of the model/number)

• 1 month later...

Syslog looks normal to me, I'll add this board to the wiki.

Just a couple of comments on the wiki entry:

1. The lan controller is actually a Realtek 8112L (according to the Asus website).

2. The integrated video is only available with the i3 5xx and i5 6xx processors (not with i5 7xx or any i7 processor).

Syslog looks normal to me, I'll add this board to the wiki.

Just a couple of comments on the wiki entry:

1. The lan controller is actually a Realtek 8112L (according to the Asus website).

2. The integrated video is only available with the i3 5xx and i5 6xx processors (not with i5 7xx or any i7 processor).

Thanks, I updated the wiki entry.