unRAID Server Release 4.6-rc5 Available

limetech

Download

If no issues related to changes from 4.5.6 to 4.6-rc5 are reported by the end of this week, this will become release 4.6 "final".

For -rc5:

o 3rd Party Add-On Developers.. please ensure your existing add-ons work with this release.

o Fixed bug in -rc4 related to NFS 'fsid' assignment.  Issue would happen if server is using anything other than "Simple" share security (but if share security is "Simple" and changed to "User Level" without intervening reboot, bug wouldn't happen - at least this bug was not dependent on phase of moon).

For -rc4:

o Fixed issue with NFS where it's possible a client NFS-mount could refer to a different server resource as a result of configuration changes on the unRaid server.  NOTE: if you are using NFS, I strongly suggest you un-mount any NFS client connections to your unRaid server before updating to this release.  Following re-boot with this release, you will need to go to the Shares page and click 'Apply' for each User Share that you want exported via NFS.  Subsequent client NFS mounts should be ok and be preserved across server config changes and re-boots.

Following are the technical details:

All NFS-exported shares will have an explicit 'fsid' value set.  For disk shares, and the cache share, it's set as follows:

for cache, fsid = 10

for diskN, fsid = 10+N (ie, for disk1 it's 11, for disk2 it's 12, etc.)

For user shares, the first time a share is configured for NFS export, we assign an fsid to it (stored in the 'shareExportNfsFsid' variable in the user-share config file).

The fsid's are assigned starting at 100.  Once an fsid is assigned to a user share, that fsid stays with that share (but if the share is deleted and later re-created, it will get a different fsid).  Also fsid's are never re-used.

The next fsid to be assigned is kept in the 'shareNfsFsid' config variable in the 'share.cfg' file.

unRAID Server 4.6-rc5 Release Notes
===================================

Changes from 4.6-rc4 to 4.6-rc5
-------------------------------

Bug fixes:
- Fix issue with NFS 'fsid' change which could cause crash if Share security is not 'none'.

unRAID Server 4.6-rc4 Release Notes
===================================

Changes from 4.6-rc3 to 4.6-rc4

Bug fixes:
- Make 'Move now' button respect the 'Mover logging' setting.

Other:
- More backward compat. fixes (revert kernel to that used by 4.5.6).
- Set explicit NFS 'fsid' assignment for disk shares, and make 'fsid' values persistent for user shares.

Changes from 4.6-rc2 to 4.6-rc3

Other:
- More unRaid driver/3rd part add-on backward-compatibility fixes.
- Update 'hdparm' to version 9.27
- Update 'smartmontools' to version 5.39.1
- Update 'memtest' to version 4.10 [Note: you will need to move the file 'memtest' from the zip file to the root of your Flash device]

Changes from 4.6-rc1 to 4.6-rc2

Other:
- Restore "diskNumber" and "rdevNumber" driver vars.

Changes from 4.5.6 to 4.6-rc1
-----------------------------

Bug fixes:
- Fix for kernel oops of the following type:
  "Tower kernel: EIP is at md_cmd_proc_read+0x41/0x54 [md_mod]"

Other:
- Make unRaid driver "status" command a no-op and patch '/root/mdcmd' script to properly handle a "status" command for backward compatibility.
- Restore backward-compatibility with 4.5.6 in regards to 3rd party add-ons.

Changes from 4.5.5 to 4.5.6
---------------------------

Sorry, the 4.5.5 release package got built wrong which resulted in bugs listed below.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed problem with restoring timezone setting upon reboot.
- Fixed missing reiserfsprogs.

Changes from 4.5.4 to 4.5.5

Bug fixes:
- Fixed 'Mover logging' control in webGui.

Other:
- Added better timezone support.
- Increase supported array width from 20 to 21 drives.
- Add 'Are you sure?' prompt to the 'initconfig' command.
- Added IPMI support, I2C support, and Intel 82801 support.
- During parity-check, the first 20 sync errors are output to the system log.
- If directory named 'extra' exists in root of Flash, invoke 'installpkg' on all files found there before invoking the 'go' script.
- Add 'removepkg' and 'explodepkg'.
- Added 'bzip2'.
- Upgrade reiserfsprogs to version 3.6.21

Changes from 4.5.3 to 4.5.4

Bug fixes:
- Fix (another) problem where formatted data disks could appear 'unformatted' immediately following array start.  This one was due to race condition where md devices could possibly not exist before management utility issues 'mount'.

Other:
- Generate additional logging information during 'mount'.
- Added additional "safeguards" in the code handling 'format' operations.
- Removed 'Restore' button from webGui, replacing with new shell command called 'initconfig'.
- Updated mc (midnight-commander) utility to slackware's 2010-02-06 version.

Changes from 4.5.2 to 4.5.3

Other:
- Update linux kernel to 2.6.32.9
- Enable SMT (Hyperthreading) scheduler support in kernel.
- Update linux udev subsystem to 1.41.
- Fix problem reading USB Flash device model & serial number with some motherboads.
- Added USB FTDI Single Port Serial Driver per user request.

Changes from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2

Bug fixes:
- Fix problem where device assignment via webGui could fail if device identifier is too long.

Other:
- Added SCST subsystem (see http://scst.sourceforge.net) in order to support Marvell 88SE63xx/64xx/68xx/94xx SAS controller-based cards.
- Added 'COPYING' file in release that includes text of the GPL version 2.

Changes from 4.5 to 4.5.1
-------------------------

Bug fixes:
- Fix javascript bug checking valid settings on the Settings page.
- Fix bug where a disk can appear 'Unformatted' immediately after array Start.
- Change unmount polling rate from 1 second to 5 seconds when Stopping the array when external extensions still have a disk or use share mounted.

Other:
- Updated linux kernel to version 2.6.31.12
- Updated Samba to version 3.4.5
- Added Areca driver.
- Added Marvell legacy PATA support.
- Added USB printer support.

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
============================================

In addition to below, if the Change log indicates 'memtest' version upgrade, please copy the following file from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    memtest

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

I am no longer seeing the CPU frequency scaling (AMD Cool'n'Quiet) that I was enjoying with -rc3. I suppose this is a consequence of the kernel reversion?

Any plans to re-implement frequency scaling with Release 5 (since this is supposed to be the end of the line for 4.x)?

If frequency scaling won't be re-implented soon I'll be reverting to 4.6-rc3. Any special care I need to take with my nfs mounts? I can completely overwrite my flash drive contents with a backup I made before testing -rc5, if that would be the safest way to go back. Or should I just restore the -rc3 share.cfg along with bzimage and bziroot?

Tom can I suggest that 3-4 days is not enough time to pronounce a RC stable. I am sure we are keen to get a new stable out but if it really is a matter of RC5 becoming the stable by a name change only then run the RC program for weeks not days.

If there are no bugs discovered in that period then all the better. and if within that period anyone comes looking for a new stable they can make their own judgment.

This way probably even gets more RC tester as if ater a few weeks there are not bugs you can make a general news item requesting more final tester interested in a all but stable RC.

Or put another way I like many wont even have time to try it until the weekend.

Kudos

put another way I like many wont even have time to try it until the weekend.

This is the case for myself also.  I don't want to move my production server over to 4.6RC5 but I will not have a chance to test RC5 on my test server until probably after the weekend, not to mention I need to set up NFS shares to test what has been changed.

I just tried to post this in the rc4 thread, only to find it locked ....

Tom, many thanks for this release, it has (as I expected) fixed my problem with duplicate handles - I can now access my cache drive via nfs. :)

The only slight drawback is that I no longer appear to be able to invoke the adaptive cpu clock:

root@Tower:~# modprobe acpi-cpufreq
FATAL: Module acpi_cpufreq not found.
root@Tower:~#

I presume that this is because of the kernel reversion.  Is there any way to reinstate acpi-cpufreq with the old kernel?

Oh, and btw, I have not encountered any problems with the web interface (using Firefox on ubuntu (AMD64) 10.10)

Limetech made an explicit choice to remove everything except the Kernel Oops fix on the unRAID 4.6 series. There is no way for the users to enable those requested and coveted features short of building your own kernel and updating the bzroot.

I believe that was done to minimize the changes so as to finalize the 4.x series and move on with the 5.x series. Lets hope there will be a 5.0 beta 3 released this weekend.

Can anyone confirim that Ext3/4 support is in RC5 still

Nothing additional is in the kernel. The kernel config is identical to 4.5.6. That means no ext3, no ext4, no power management, no hardware sensors, no network tunneling, nothing new. It is merely 4.5.6 with the Kernel Oops fix.

I'm about to fire up my new server...

I'm looking for a consensus on what version I should install...  4.6rc5, or 5.0 Beta 2...

I don't think I really need anything new in 5.0, but at the same time, upgrading to 5.1 later might be easier if I had 5.0 installed versus 4.6.

(Not that I have any idea/desire for 5.1, just thinking that eventually there might be something I discover I MUST have, and it would be more likely supported in 5.x)

Thanks for any advice you can share :)

I'm running 4.5.6 on my main server and I've been installing the release candidates on my test server. I tried the 5.0 beta for awhile on my test server, but didn't find anything I wanted and it broke some 3rd party extensions that I didn't want to bother troubleshooting.

I would suggest using 4.5.4 or 4.5.6. I would wait on the 4.6 final for at least a month after release, but I tend to be quite conservative.

I'm about to fire up my new server...

I'm looking for a consensus on what version I should install...  4.6rc5, or 5.0 Beta 2...

I don't think I really need anything new in 5.0, but at the same time, upgrading to 5.1 later might be easier if I had 5.0 installed versus 4.6.

(Not that I have any idea/desire for 5.1, just thinking that eventually there might be something I discover I MUST have, and it would be more likely supported in 5.x)

Thanks for any advice you can share :)

At this point, the 4.6rc5 has the kernel Oops fix.  No other release has it.  It is probably the better choice.   5.0beta is a complete re-write of the user interface and security.  It offers no other features.  In fact, it might lack some for NFS that are not yet in the new user-interface.

Upgrading is nearly the same regardless of version.  Copy bzroot and bzimage from the new release to the flash drive and reboot.  

Upgrading is nearly the same regardless of version.  Copy bzroot and bzimage from the new release to the flash drive and reboot.  

So the filesystem isn't "touched" at all....  and I can painlessly upgrade later?

Exactly.... 

When you do upgrade to the 5.0 series you'll need to click on one of the utility buttons it supplies that sets the file and directory permissions... (As I said, it is implementing a more flexible security configuration to be able to put AFP protocol into place in addition to the improved and more flexible GUI)  Everything else is used as is.    I have personally upgraded over 60 times over the past 5 years from my original version 1.050930 version (Sept 30, 2005 release).  Most upgrades involved just those two files, occasionally one or two others were involved.  ( I tend to be one of those who tries and tests most of the beta versions)

The file-system is not touched.  You do not need to re-format the flash drive, or re-define your shared folders.  Just update two files and reboot.  You can even rename the existing two files to make it easy to revert if there is a need by naming them back to their original names.

Joe L.

The file-system is not touched.  You do not need to re-format the flash drive, or re-define your shared folders.  Just update two files and reboot.  You can even rename the existing two files to make it easy to revert if there is a need by naming them back to their original names.

Joe L.

Ok awesome - thanks Joe.

I'm waiting for a new USB drive to come - the one I'm using is borrowed.  (The new one is also a lot faster probably)

Anyway - while playing today I installed version 5 - beta 2.

Maybe since I have that setup and I'm waiting for the new usb drive...  I'll format and pre-clear my two hard drives while waiting for the delivery.  (But probably won't put any data on the drives yet)

Edit:  Actually I just decided to install rd5 on my USB stick, and unmenu, screen...  pre-clearing now.

Are the NFS fixes in rc5?

What nfs fixes?

The issue I was aware of was that it was possible for two (or more?) nfs shares of physical drives to use the same file handle, meaning that, in my case, when I thought I was accessing the cache drive, I was actually accessing disk2.  This has been addressed and, as far as I'm concerned, fixed in rc4/rc5.

Are the NFS fixes in rc5?

What nfs fixes?

The issue I was aware of was that it was possible for two (or more?) nfs shares of physical drives to use the same file handle, meaning that, in my case, when I thought I was accessing the cache drive, I was actually accessing disk2.  This has been addressed and, as far as I'm concerned, fixed in rc4/rc5.

Yes. Thanks.

The extra kernel module that are not part of the Linux Kernel are from the Linux SCST project. [ http://scst.sourceforge.net/ ]

I was not asking that.

Various versions from that web site do not result in the same unRAID kernel.

The particular files that were used to build THIS unRAID kernel should be included here.

You can recreate the kernel by using the supplied .config file along with the specific kernel release source and modified md-driver source.

The extra kernel module that are not part of the Linux Kernel are from the Linux SCST project. [ http://scst.sourceforge.net/ ]

I was not asking that.

Various versions from that web site do not result in the same unRAID kernel.

The particular files that were used to build THIS unRAID kernel should be included here.

You can recreate the kernel by using the supplied .config file along with the specific kernel release source and modified md-driver source.

I was able to build a kernel by using the supplied .config file along with the md-driver source.

I was not able to build those extra kernel modules for that kernel.

Which extra kernel modules?