unRAID Server Release 4.6 "Final" Available + 5.0-beta News

limetech

Download

Hopefully this is it for the 4.x series.  I know some are disappointed that some kernel features that snuck in during the -rc sequence got removed.  As stated elsewhere, the goal was to fix a kernel 'oops' and along the way, a couple other issues were fixed as well (like with NFS fsid).

In other news... I have been working very hard on 5.0-beta and will release 5.0-beta3 just as soon as possible.  Main highlights with 5.0-beta3 are:

- update base OS to Slackware 13.1.

- using linux kernel 2.6.36.1

- using Samba 3.5.6

As soon as all the issues related to above upgrades are ironed out, I will release -beta3 (well I might try and get a first stab at AFP in there as well & also have to fix some issues with Active Directory).

unRAID Server 4.6 Release Notes
===================================

Changes from 4.6-rc5 to 4.6 (final)
-----------------------------------

Other:
- Change version to "4.6"

Changes from 4.6-rc4 to 4.6-rc5
-------------------------------

Bug fixes:
- Fix issue with NFS 'fsid' change which could cause crash if Share security is not 'none'.

unRAID Server 4.6-rc4 Release Notes
===================================

Changes from 4.6-rc3 to 4.6-rc4

Bug fixes:
- Make 'Move now' button respect the 'Mover logging' setting.

Other:
- More backward compat. fixes (revert kernel to that used by 4.5.6).
- Set explicit NFS 'fsid' assignment for disk shares, and make 'fsid' values persistent for user shares.

Changes from 4.6-rc2 to 4.6-rc3

Other:
- More unRaid driver/3rd part add-on backward-compatibility fixes.
- Update 'hdparm' to version 9.27
- Update 'smartmontools' to version 5.39.1
- Update 'memtest' to version 4.10 [Note: you will need to move the file 'memtest' from the zip file to the root of your Flash device]

Changes from 4.6-rc1 to 4.6-rc2

Other:
- Restore "diskNumber" and "rdevNumber" driver vars.

Changes from 4.5.6 to 4.6-rc1
-----------------------------

Bug fixes:
- Fix for kernel oops of the following type:
  "Tower kernel: EIP is at md_cmd_proc_read+0x41/0x54 [md_mod]"

Other:
- Make unRaid driver "status" command a no-op and patch '/root/mdcmd' script to properly handle a "status" command for backward compatibility.
- Restore backward-compatibility with 4.5.6 in regards to 3rd party add-ons.

Changes from 4.5.5 to 4.5.6
---------------------------

Sorry, the 4.5.5 release package got built wrong which resulted in bugs listed below.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed problem with restoring timezone setting upon reboot.
- Fixed missing reiserfsprogs.

Changes from 4.5.4 to 4.5.5

Bug fixes:
- Fixed 'Mover logging' control in webGui.

Other:
- Added better timezone support.
- Increase supported array width from 20 to 21 drives.
- Add 'Are you sure?' prompt to the 'initconfig' command.
- Added IPMI support, I2C support, and Intel 82801 support.
- During parity-check, the first 20 sync errors are output to the system log.
- If directory named 'extra' exists in root of Flash, invoke 'installpkg' on all files found there before invoking the 'go' script.
- Add 'removepkg' and 'explodepkg'.
- Added 'bzip2'.
- Upgrade reiserfsprogs to version 3.6.21

Changes from 4.5.3 to 4.5.4

Bug fixes:
- Fix (another) problem where formatted data disks could appear 'unformatted' immediately following array start.  This one was due to race condition where md devices could possibly not exist before management utility issues 'mount'.

Other:
- Generate additional logging information during 'mount'.
- Added additional "safeguards" in the code handling 'format' operations.
- Removed 'Restore' button from webGui, replacing with new shell command called 'initconfig'.
- Updated mc (midnight-commander) utility to slackware's 2010-02-06 version.

Changes from 4.5.2 to 4.5.3

Other:
- Update linux kernel to 2.6.32.9
- Enable SMT (Hyperthreading) scheduler support in kernel.
- Update linux udev subsystem to 1.41.
- Fix problem reading USB Flash device model & serial number with some motherboads.
- Added USB FTDI Single Port Serial Driver per user request.

Changes from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2

Bug fixes:
- Fix problem where device assignment via webGui could fail if device identifier is too long.

Other:
- Added SCST subsystem (see http://scst.sourceforge.net) in order to support Marvell 88SE63xx/64xx/68xx/94xx SAS controller-based cards.
- Added 'COPYING' file in release that includes text of the GPL version 2.

Changes from 4.5 to 4.5.1
-------------------------

Bug fixes:
- Fix javascript bug checking valid settings on the Settings page.
- Fix bug where a disk can appear 'Unformatted' immediately after array Start.
- Change unmount polling rate from 1 second to 5 seconds when Stopping the array when external extensions still have a disk or use share mounted.

Other:
- Updated linux kernel to version 2.6.31.12
- Updated Samba to version 3.4.5
- Added Areca driver.
- Added Marvell legacy PATA support.
- Added USB printer support.

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
============================================

In addition to below, if the Change log indicates 'memtest' version upgrade, please copy the following file from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    memtest

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as all the issues related to above upgrades are ironed out, I will release -beta3 (well I might try and get a first stab at AFP in there as well & also have to fix some issues with Active Directory).

I'm really curious how you worked around those hidden afp files being created on every folder you visit...  :)

I am pleased to hear that ... I am running version 5.0 beta 2 with no issues. I will be moving very soon to the paid version... I have waited to see how all of the HELP and FEEDBACK went along as much as the support from the community. I have to say that things work around here much better than in the outside world...

Thanks...

In other thoughts... Could it be possible to include the date that the post was added. It can help determine how mature is the post and how long it has been tested in the community without having to go to any other page...

Changes from 4.6-rc5 to 4.6 (final) 12-6-2010

--------------------------------------------------------

Just a suggestion...

I'm really curious how you worked around those hidden afp files being created on every folder you visit...  :)

You mean the .DS_Store and ._ files?  Because there is no way around that.  It is something that Mac OS X does and you can stop it from doing it to network drives, but there is nothing the server can do to stop it.

I did create an unMenu package that removes these files from the server and it is set up as a cron job to run as much or as little as a user likes.

I am pleased to hear that ... I am running version 5.0 beta 2 with no issues. I will be moving very soon to the paid version... I have waited to see how all of the HELP and FEEDBACK went along as much as the support from the community. I have to say that things work around here much better than in the outside world...

Thanks...

In other thoughts... Could it be possible to include the date that the post was added. It can help determine how mature is the post and how long it has been tested in the community without having to go to any other page...

Just a suggestion...

That already exists under the Thread title in the first post:

December 06, 2010, 09:12:57 PM

You mean the .DS_Store and ._ files?  Because there is no way around that.  It is something that Mac OS X does and you can stop it from doing it to network drives, but there is nothing the server can do to stop it.

I did create an unMenu package that removes these files from the server and it is set up as a cron job to run as much or as little as a user likes.

No, those are different. The Netatalk daemon stores little helper files in every folder you visit. When you visit a folder on a disk that is part of user folder that spans multiple disks, those helper files will eventually be created on every disk in that user folder. But because that folder spans multiple disks, the shfs command will see multiple instances of the same file in that folder and those will show up as errors/warnings in the log.

No, those are different. The Netatalk daemon stores little helper files in every folder you visit. When you visit a folder on a disk that is part of user folder that spans multiple disks, those helper files will eventually be created on every disk in that user folder. But because that folder spans multiple disks, the shfs command will see multiple instances of the same file in that folder and those will show up as errors/warnings in the log.

OK, I did not know about those files.

Well, if worse comes to worse I can modify my .DS_Store unMenu package so that these files are looked for and removed also.  Tom might be able to build something in so that We don't have to do that but I think I would rather it be an opt in with the user having to set it up.

OK, I did not know about those files.

Well, if worse comes to worse I can modify my .DS_Store unMenu package so that these files are looked for and removed also.  Tom might be able to build something in so that We don't have to do that but I think I would rather it be an opt in with the user having to set it up.

I use blueharvest to take care of those .ds_store files. Do you mean .apdisk files?

I use blueharvest to take care of those .ds_store files. Do you mean .apdisk files?

While BlueHarvest is a great idea, I don't feel like paying for something that I can do for free.

The cron job set up on the server removes any files that are created (though I do need to modify it a little bit), plus a terminal command can stop OS X from playing .DS_Store files on a server.

Just a suggestion...

The Release Notes wiki page is now up-to-date.  I believe you may find it helpful.  It includes a timeline, summary of the changes, and MD5's for almost all of the release files.  (A few MD5's are missing, 4.5.7, 4.5.8, 4.6-rc1, 4.6-rc2, if anyone has them ...)

If my 4.5.6 server is running fine should I still update to 4.6 "Final" ?

Yes, the kernel oops that was fixed could effect you later on.  That issue has been fixed along with an nfs issue.

Upgrading is simply a matter of copying over the bzroot, bzimage, and memtest files and rebooting.

Just this morning I got my first ever kernel panic on 4.5.6. It was "Kernel panic - not syncing: CRED: put_cred_rcu() sees ead93e00 with usage -354864640"

Maybe that is one of those "Kernel oops" that could also be fixed in this new version?

I'll upgrade nevertheless as soon as parity check has finished.

Thanks for the fix and outlook to release 5.  :)

Just a suggestion...

The Release Notes wiki page is now up-to-date.  I believe you may find it helpful.  It includes a timeline, summary of the changes, and MD5's for almost all of the release files.  (A few MD5's are missing, 4.5.7, 4.5.8, 4.6-rc1, 4.6-rc2, if anyone has them ...)

Good to see you back RobJ. Thought you were a goner! ;)

If my 4.5.6 server is running fine should I still update to 4.6 "Final" ?

Yes, the kernel oops that was fixed could effect you later on.  That issue has been fixed along with an nfs issue.

Upgrading is simply a matter of copying over the bzroot, bzimage, and memtest files and rebooting.

I upgraded to 4.6 final successfully.  Thanks prostuff1!

Thanks guys, you gave me a big smile!  I won't bore people with my issues.  I'm going to try to be around more if possible, help out when I can.  Feel guilty every time I see notifications of old threads, especially all Joe has to do keeping up with the many inquiries about Preclearing results!  My own server is behind the times, and currently down, unknown hardware issue.