Setting up smb-extra.conf with guest and root

I've been doing some research on how to configure smb-extra.conf, and I can't quite seem to get it just right. I've searched high and low here and read several tutorials via Google, but nothing seems to work.

What I want to happen:

In my smb-shares.conf, I have a user share called [External] configured to path=/mnt/user/External. I want  guest (ie no username / password) to be able access the share with read-only access. Then I want to be able to login as root with read / write.

I've tried several configurations. I can partially there, but never exactly. Any ideas? If you have this working, perhaps you could post your .conf?

Thanks!

I use a smb-extra.conf file to achieve similar results e.g the following entries create a share which is read only and visible to all [Movies] and one that is not visible and editable only by a loged in user [Movies_rw]:

[Movies]

path = /mnt/disk1/Movie

read only = yes

guest ok = yes

[Movies_rw]

path = /mnt/disk1/Movie

read only = no

guest ok = no

browseable = no

browsable = no

The key is to use the "write list" attribure.  Here is an example from my array:

[music]

path = /mnt/disk12/mp3

valid users = bjp999, kid, wife, otherkid, sage

write list = bjp999

force user = root

create mask = 0711

directory mask = 0711

With this configuraiton, kid, wife, otherkid and sage can all read from the share, but only bjp999 can write to the share.

Some versions of unRAID change the structure of the shares.  You should look at the current samba settings and try to model the attributes like "force user", "create mask", and "directory mask" to be similar to the way unRAID defines its own shares.  If you are running unmenu / myMain, there is a link "Smb" on the total row in the info column that will show you the current Samba share configurations.

Thanks for posting that bjp999.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that produce a share that requires a user login to read as well? What I am looking for is slightly different. I want a public read only share that requires no login, with the option to login as root for write access. ie:

\\tower\Music   ---> No login / public ---> Read only access

\\tower\Music ---> Login with root / pass --> Read and Write access

Is that possible ? I guess I could always split the share as mcs suggested. But I thought for sure this would be possible.

Thanks for posting that bjp999.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that produce a share that requires a user login to read as well? What I am looking for is slightly different. I want a public read only share that requires no login, with the option to login as root for write access. ie:

\\tower\Music   ---> No login / public ---> Read only access

\\tower\Music ---> Login with root / pass --> Read and Write access

Is that possible ? I guess I could always split the share as mcs suggested. But I thought for sure this would be possible.

You do not need to login to Samba shares.  All you have to do is logon to Windows.  If the userid matches an unRAID userid, you're automatically logged in.  If you can't make it match (i.e., you have some not allowed characters in your Windows userid - like a space), there is a Samba feature that lets you map your Windows userid to an unRAID (i.e., Samba) userid.  Search google for:

samba "username map"

Guest access would mean that you want unRAID to ignore the userid altogether and allow access.

If you add the line "guest ok = Yes" to a share configuration, it should provide the universal access you're looking for.

Click on the "Smb" link in myMain.  You'll see lots of examples of this.

Archived