SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 & ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB3

Why did you flash with the smc-n.bat file as opposed to the below as per the manual?

3-5 Flashing Firmware

Follow the procedure below to flash firmware to the BIOS.

Flashing Firmware:

1. Boot the system to DOS.

2. Flash the BIOS using the mvf.exe file with the following command at the DOS

prompt (where *** represents the name of the bin file used):

a:\>mvf ***.bin

This automatically flashes the BIOS.

3. When the flashing is completed, reboot the system.

The new firmware is now flashed to your system’s BIOS.

I believe the 6440.bin is the old firmware whereas the 6480 is the new firmware.

Thanks Josh

Very good question.  mvf.exe is used to flash the newer firmware.  The 3.1.0.15N firmware package didn't have mvf.exe, instead it had mdu.exe.  Thus, I used the smc-n.bat (included in the 15N package) to flash the firmware.

JB

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just trying out a simpler method for others and also a smaller download boot disk.

Do you know if I used the mvf.exe and pointed it to the 6440.bin, would it do the same?

Thanks Josh

Yeah... you can flash the 6440.bin but I think the SASLP is 6480 marvell chip.  Not sure what's gonna happen if you flash the 6440.

JB

Can someone email the older firmware?

Does using the older firmware mean that I can't acces the SMART values any more?

I'm only using the older firmware 'cause the asus mobo (M4A89GTD PRO) locks up and will not boot on 3.1.0.21 firmware.  As for the SMART... if you are using AMD AHCI, no dice either in 3.1.015N or 3.1.0.21 firmware.  AMD AHCI is an actually a raid driver so no SMART data gets passed on.  :-[

JB

Okay,

Have downgraded to firmware 15 and the SMART details like temp etc still come up on the SAS controller.

Easy How To:

http://thepcspy.com/read/bootable_usb_flash_drive/

1) Download the HP USB Flash Drive format tool

2) Extract

3) Run the exe file to install HP tool

4) Insert USB (will delete data)

5) Open HP USB tool

6) Format, select USB drive, FAT (quick is fine) Create DOS start-up disk, select files

7) Select/browse to the extracted folder and there is a DOS files folder

8) Extract firmware .15 to usb

USB is now ready to boot off (select HDD on motherboard)

Boot off USB, at prompt type:

smc-n.bat

Set mobo to AHCI and it all works fine.

Josh

One question about doing this. If I re-enable the onboard SATA drives can I move the hard drives currently on the SAS to the Onboard ports? I would do this just to make it easy for me to follow which drives are 1, 2 and so on.

So can you move a drive to a new port? If you can do you need to do anything special? How would this effect a share split across multiple drives?

One question about doing this. If I re-enable the onboard SATA drives can I move the hard drives currently on the SAS to the Onboard ports? I would do this just to make it easy for me to follow which drives are 1, 2 and so on.

So can you move a drive to a new port? If you can do you need to do anything special? How would this effect a share split across multiple drives?

You will probably have to assign the drives to the correct slot in the devices page again.  The linux driver will probably detect the drives in a different order and cause unRAID to forget about there placements.

Just take a note of what drives are where, and then you should be good to go.

As prostuff said, yes you can move the drives, just take a printscreen or copy the order the drives were in. (even if you forget unraid will still tell you if you have the right drive assigned in the right slot.

I've moved my drives around onto different SATA ports and the SAS controller just to make sure it all works after the downgrade and so far so good.

I did get a writing error when downgrading the firmware but no issues so far.

Thanks Josh

Okay,

Have downgraded to firmware 15 and the SMART details like temp etc still come up on the SAS controller.

Easy How To:

http://thepcspy.com/read/bootable_usb_flash_drive/

1) Download the HP USB Flash Drive format tool

2) Extract

3) Run the exe file to install HP tool

4) Insert USB (will delete data)

5) Open HP USB tool

6) Format, select USB drive, FAT (quick is fine) Create DOS start-up disk, select files

7) Select/browse to the extracted folder and there is a DOS files folder

8) Extract firmware .15 to usb

USB is now ready to boot off (select HDD on motherboard)

Boot off USB, at prompt type:

smc-n.bat

Set mobo to AHCI and it all works fine.

Josh

yeah... I get all the SMART data from the SASLP controller but not from the mobo sata in AHCI.   :-[  Glad that you got it working also.  This problem was pain in the a$$.

JB

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to preclear 6 hdds through the MV8. On the syslog there was only SMART info for only one hdd and there were errors trying to read smart for the others.

I then retried the preclear with 4 hdds through the 4 sata connections and the SMART info came up.

I have also notice that the speeds through the MV8 for the 6 hdds were from 80MB/s to 100MB/s. The speed for the 4 hdds through the SATA were 110MB/s.

Weird!

But there seems to be problems with one of the hdd!

before_preclear_1.txt

before_preclear_2.txt

• 2 weeks later...

My system crashed again so I think I need to do the bios update.

How do you update the bios? I know that you can activate the update through the bios and then you put the new bios on a usb. But do you need to disconnect the hdds and the unraid usb before you run the update? Are there any other precautions you need to take before you update it?

I don't know where you are getting your crashes from as Mines been up for a month and a bit now. I've only shutdown now to get the apc ups going.

Looks like may have to stick with the .15 firmware for the supermicro card and this motherboard.

Parity check I did the other day for 6 x 1.5tb 5200rpm eco samsung drives took about 3.5 hours, 100Mb/s to 70Mb/s so no speed issues with the MV8 (I only have 2 drives hanging off it though)

Josh

An update from Asus,

They have this BIOS for the mobo. It appears to be a newer BIOS than the one Pras tested.

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service. Sorry for the delay of replying.Our related department suspect it is a compatiblity issue(BIOS ROM size is not enough, so the Third-Party controller cannot initialize).They suggest you try the BIOS attached for a test.Due to the nature of BIOS update, there is certain level of dangers involved. BIOS update must be performed with extreme caution . During BIOS update process, your system must be maintained without interference or power loss to prevent unexpected damage.If it is not helpful, please try the different PCI-E slot to improve the sequency of Code loading.Besides, if possible, please use IDE mode to test again. Best Regards, Stacey ASUS Customer Service

http://www.mediafire.com/?cxg3yvo8yvascpk

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cxg3yvo8yvascpk/M4A89GTD-PRO-USB3-ASUS-1802.ROM

I'll give it a go but I won't have time for a few weeks.

Josh