Slimserver continuation

joshpond

This is a continuation of a thread that got a little off topic from http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9394.msg90779#msg90779

I have 3 log files perfmon scanner and server. Which one do I look at?

This is seriously off topic but you will need to look at the squeezecenter logfile and see what it reports as an error. I found that my custom installation failed miserable but when I installed it following the instructions here everything worked first time and has just worked for the past 2 months.

I installed from those instructions and it works, the only issues I have is that it randomly spins some drives up which I believe it has to do with the logging to the log files and every now and again it turns itself off. ps -ef shows it is there and sometimes it isn't.

Josh

With a little bit of messing around, I managed to move the SBS logfiles to /var/log, reducing the load on the physical drives.  Obviously, this means that the logfiles don't survive a reboot.  As far as I'm concerned, this hasn't been a problem - if it were, they could be copied to usb stick, like the system log.

I run the WeatherTime screen saver and that has spells of hitting the logfile - possibly when the wind speed drops to 0, and the wind direction is indeterminate???

I've never noticed SBS going awol - I think that  there must be something a little odd about your installation.

What I do intend to play with sometime is to adjust the perl auto install so that it keeps all the files locally, rather than loading from the net every time.