Unmenu parity check script

Ken R.

To close this out, the modified package would look like this:

#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 7 $ $Date: 2010-03-29 23:12:23 -0400 (Mon, 29 Mar 2010) $
PACKAGE_NAME Monthly Parity Check
PACKAGE_DESCR This package installs a script that will schedule a monthly parity check on the 1st Tuesday of the month at 6:30AM.
PACKAGE_DESCR <br>Use <b>NOCORRECT </b>if you do not want parity to be automatically updated.
PACKAGE_DESCR <br>Use <b>CORRECT </b>if you do want it automatically updated.<br<br>
PACKAGE_DESCR It is recommended that you <b>NOT</b> automatically correct parity, since it might be a data drive that is in error,
PACKAGE_DESCR and the parity drive might be correct.  <br>Challenge is determining which is correct, and which is in error.
PACKAGE_DESCR unRAID normally assumes the data is correct and parity is wrong. Pressing the "Check" button on the web-interface
PACKAGE_DESCR will check <b>AND</b> update parity based on the data disks.
PACKAGE_URL  none
PACKAGE_FILE monthly_parity_check
PACKAGE_INSTALLED /var/log/monthly_parity_check
PACKAGE_DEPENDENCIES none
PACKAGE_VARIABLE Parity Check Type (CORRECT/NOCORRECT)||vCHECK_TYPE=NOCORRECT||Use NOCORRECT if you do not want parity to be automatically updated,<br>CORRECT if you do want it automatically updated.
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION #Version: 1.0a
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION crontab -l >/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION grep -q "/root/mdcmd check ${vCHECK_TYPE-NOCORRECT}" /tmp/crontab 1>/dev/null 2>&1
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION if [ "$?" = "1" ]
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION     crontab -l | egrep -v "check parity on the first|/root/mdcmd check " >/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION     echo "# check parity on the first Tuesday of every month at 06:30am:" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION     echo "30 06 1-7 * * [ \"\$(date '+%a')\" == \"Tue\" ] && /root/mdcmd check ${vCHECK_TYPE-NOCORRECT} 1>/dev/null 2>&1" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION     cp /tmp/crontab /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root-
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION     crontab /tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION fi
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "Version: 1.0a ${vCHECK_TYPE-NOCORRECT}" > /var/log/monthly_parity_check
PACKAGE_VERSION_TEST grep "Version:" /var/log/monthly_parity_check  | awk '{print $2}'
PACKAGE_VERSION_STRING 1.0a
PACKAGE_MEMORY_USAGE Small

If you name it "first-tuesday-parity-unmenu-package.conf" and put it in /boot/packages it will appear as its own separate package in the package manager.  It is actually quite ingenious.  It will invoke the cron entry every day at 6:30 AM on the 1st through the 7th of the month.  On each day the test if the current day = "Tue" will be made.  The actual parity check will only occur on the Tuesday when the date string is matched.

Clever...

Edit: Oh sh...t

I accidentally edited the original post instead of quoting it...  (Why is the "modify" adjacent to the "quote")

I'll try to get back the old text... but not sure if possible. Probably in my cache.

Sorry....

Joe L.

Yes, you can just edit the .auto_install file

You are obviously not a beginner.  Nice use of the "date" command to get the first "Tuesday"  ;D

You'll need to invoke the .auto_install once on the command line, or reboot to get it to be invoked.

Just don't click on the "Re-Install on Re-Boot" button on the monthly-parity-check package again, or it will overwrite your changes.

Joe L.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

When using 'echo' and redirecting the output to a file, the date command executes no matter the quotes, how do I write what I want written to the file and not the result? ie:

echo "[ "$(date '+%a')" == "Tue" ]" >/tmp/test

result;

[ Sun == Tue ] :-\

The desired result would be:

[ "$(date '+%a')" == "Tue" ]

Hello again.

When using 'echo' and redirecting the output to a file, the date command executes no matter the quotes, how do I write what I want written to the file and not the result? ie:

echo "[ "$(date '+%a')" == "Tue" ]" >/tmp/test

result;

[ Sun == Tue ] :-\

The desired result would be:

[ "$(date '+%a')" == "Tue" ]

Try

echo "[ \"\$(date '+%a')\" == \"Tue\" ]" >/tmp/test.sh

You just need to back-slash escape the quotes and $ special characters.

Joe L.

Archived