Migrating USB files

The USB drive in my unRAID server has gone bad.  Fortunately, I bought a spare when I purchased the server from Tom.

The backup key boots the server and shows all my drives as blue.  I have determined that there is a valid file system on the drives, so I guess it's OK to start the array.  

However, before I do - can anyone tell me which files I should copy over from the old USB.  In the "config" folder are some files like "super.dat", "secrets.tdb", "smbpasswd" and "passwd".  Also, the "shares" folder.  Which of these do I copy to the new key?  

Thanks for any info.

The USB drive in my unRAID server has gone bad.  Fortunately, I bought a spare when I purchased the server from Tom.

The backup key boots the server and shows all my drives as blue.  I have determined that there is a valid file system on the drives, so I guess it's OK to start the array. 

However, before I do - can anyone tell me which files I should copy over from the old USB.  In the "config" folder are some files like "super.dat", "secrets.tdb", "smbpasswd" and "passwd".  Also, the "shares" folder.  Which of these do I copy to the new key? 

Thanks for any info.

Copy the entire config folder and all its files and sub-directories with one possible exception.

Be careful... do not overwrite the .key file that is flash drive specific.    The .key file can be either in the config folder or at the root of the flash drive.

As always, thanks Joe!

I hit a snag - I am unable to copy files off the old USB key.  It's not even recognized by my PC.

I had an older file copy of my USB, but copying that one over resulted in several "red" marked drives and an error about invalid expansion.  I had apparently changed out some drives since the copy was made, and don't have a current backup. (lesson learned)

So, I copied back the original "blank" config to the new USB key and again have all "blue" drives and button to start the array.  Will I be OK doing this?

Thanks again.

so, I copied back the original "blank" config to the new USB key and again have all "blue" drives and button to start the array.  Will I be OK doing this?

Thanks again.

As long as the "parity" drive is assigned to the parity slot, you'll be fine.  If you accidentally assign a data drive to the parity slot on the "devices" page all data on it will be lost.  Please do not make that mistake.

If not absolutely sure, do not assign ANY parity drive initially.  (Go to the devices page, un-assign the parity drive)

Start the array with no parity drive assigned.

If all the other drives mount and show their files, then stop the array, assign the parity drive, and let it compute parity.

If you start the array with no parity drive and ONE of the drives shows as un-formatted, it might be the parity drive you've accidentally assigned as a data drive. 

Only assign a parity drive after you can start the array with all the data drives mounted and their files visible from the LAN. None should show as unformatted.  (Oh yes, DO NOT PRESS THE FORMAT BUTTON) it should not bed necessary for format anything.

Joe L.

Archived