HighPoint Rocket Raid cards...

Anyone have good/bad things to say about the High Point Rocket Raid cards? They make just about every configuration and price point. Here are a couple examples.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115027&cm_re=highpoint-_-16-115-027-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115060&cm_re=highpoint-_-16-115-060-_-Product

Also, do any of the experts know what the difference between SAS/SATA and just SATA cards are?

2310 (x4) uses sx7042 chipset like the Adaptec 1430sa and should work OK (I have a RR2300 (x1) using same chipset works fine).

The 2642 is using se6445 chipset that uses mvsas driver and again should work, providing highpoint didnt stray too far from reference board design or Tom put in board specifc fixes for Supermicro cards. 

First one is SATA only, second one is SAS/SATA which means it talks Serial ATA and Serial SCSI. Sas cards can pretty much always talk SATA, the reverse is not true though.

For UnRaid we want cheap large drives so we stick with SATA.

2310 (x4) uses sx7042 chipset like the Adaptec 1430sa and should work OK (I have a RR2300 (x1) using same chipset works fine).

The 2642 is using se6445 chipset that uses mvsas driver and again should work, providing highpoint didnt stray too far from reference board design or Tom put in board specifc fixes for Supermicro cards. 

First one is SATA only, second one is SAS/SATA which means it talks Serial ATA and Serial SCSI. Sas cards can pretty much always talk SATA, the reverse is not true though.

For UnRaid we want cheap large drives so we stick with SATA.

Thanks for that info. Makes me want to stick with the recommended Super Micro card that everyone suggests. I just want to best card I can get, to maximize throughput.

• 6 months later...

Seeing as the price on these have dropped considerably (-$100) I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me figure out if I can get this card to work. I have my syslog as far as I can tell it doesn't even try to install the card, please tell me what part of it you would need to look at (it is to long to post and I am not sure of part needed) if you would rather have it posted somewhere else please let me know, I have the disk set up as JBOD.

Thanks in advance!

Russ

Seeing as the price on these have dropped considerably (-$100) I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me figure out if I can get this card to work. I have my syslog as far as I can tell it doesn't even try to install the card, please tell me what part of it you would need to look at (it is to long to post and I am not sure of part needed) if you would rather have it posted somewhere else please let me know, I have the disk set up as JBOD.

Thanks in advance!

Russ

If I had to guess the driver would have to be compiled into the kernel (which it is probably not now).  So unless you can convince LimeTech to include it you are stuck compiling a custom kernel of your own to get support for this card.

Archived