Backup of unRaid Configuration

Hi,

I've been playing with the 3 disk version of unraid and I really like it. I'm going to upgrade shortly.

I do have a question.

If I buy two USB sticks and get license for both. If one fails, do I need the unraid configuration or will the second USB stick figure out the configuration? If not what files do I need to backup every time I make a change to my array so that if the stick fails I can recover?

If it is nesessary to backup configuration data of the USB stick would it make sense to add a feature where the configuration data is backed up into the disk array and unraid would look for it if it didn't have any existing configuration on its USB stick?

thanks

-Stefan

If I buy two USB sticks and get license for both. If one fails, do I need the unraid configuration or will the second USB stick figure out the configuration? If not what files do I need to backup every time I make a change to my array so that if the stick fails I can recover?

No the config data is not stored anywhere else.  You should backup the contents of the 'config' directory of the flash to somewhere, e.g., your pc from time to time.

If it is nesessary to backup configuration data of the USB stick would it make sense to add a feature where the configuration data is backed up into the disk array and unraid would look for it if it didn't have any existing configuration on its USB stick?

Yes we should add this feature - I' put it on Ye Olde Laundry List:

- automatic save/restore of Flash 'config' directory to a designated hard disk file

configuration being stored, as backup, on one of the disks is a great idea, and how several hardware RAID implementations work I believe. You have the option of "loading configuration from the disk". This would be a nice backup. And you could always manually copy the folder elsewhere, if the config folder is all that's needed if moving from one flash drive to another.

Just my 2cents

Another option since were talking about tiny amounts of data here is upload to the internet. That gets it completely off site which is always a good thing with backups of any sort.

Wouldn't be hard to do at all.

Too bad Mozy doesn't allow backups of network drives and they don't have a Linux client.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Mozy and its remote backup competitors work well for backing up the unRAID configuration, IF you consider remote backup your second line of defense.  Local backup is the first line, and most important, whether backing up or syncing local data to backup locations like your unRAID server, or backup of unRAID info to a local drive.  Then point Mozy (Carbonite, JungleDisk, etc) to the local copy of the flash drive.

I like SyncbackSE for this, extensive features and flexibility (networking, FTP, logging, notifications, etc etc), inexpensive, flexible licensing plans.  I have their $30 personal use plan covering up to 5 home computers.  I have SyncbackSE check the flash twice a day for changes, and Mozy or its ilk replicate the changes offsite.