Help convince Plex developers to support unRAID

Stokkes

Vote now

Here's why...

• We want Plex Media Server to run on our UnRAID boxes
  • More importantly, this gives Lime-tech some damn good publicity for unRAID. Plex is a huge market and if we can help spread the word on unRAID, even better.

Vote now!!

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/21662-linux-support/

----

Hey everyone,

The Plex team has started a Poll over on their forums asking which distribution they should focus on supporting in an upcoming Linux release for their extremely popular Plex Media Server.

For those who don't know, Plex is a client/server solution that was forked from XBMC and is what I consider to be a match made in heaven when combined with unRAID. The only issue at this point is that the "server" part of the equation is Mac-only. They're looking for feedback and it would be great to have anyone who's interested in the Plex solution or is currently using Plex to head over to the forum and cast their vote (it would also help if they added a little comment at the end of the post to support their vote).

Here's the thread:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/21662-linux-support/

As of this posting (01/04/2011), unRAID has 39 votes (#2 place), Ubuntu has 62..

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link.  I voted for unRaid but would be surprised if it happens as Ubuntu is so much more in line with the Plex development philosophy.  Everything in Plex is easy.  There really isn't much for extensibility, it is either easily done, or not possible. 

XBMC seems a much better fit for unRaid actually since they are much more hacker friendly where Plex strives to be user friendly.  Poke around on the Plex forums for a while and you'll find its a whole different world than this place which is unfortunate since the two products work so well together.  I can see Plex saying "Go to the ubuntu package manager, search for plex, type install, you're done!"

I cannot see Elan saying first install plex onto a vm install of linux, then copy the files out and paste them onto your flash drive.

Next edit your go script

reboot

manually move some folders to your cache drive.

save some more configuration changes

reboot

cross your fingers

fire up a ssh session to unraid

etc

etc

etc.

Love Plex

Trying to love unRaid, but man are they worlds apart in their development and support philosophies and it would be hard (but cool) to see them playing well together.  What I could see is them making an easy to use ubuntu package and eventually a smart guy here getting it to work with very detailed instructions on how the rest of us can get it to work with a liberal application of elbow grease.

Still, fingers crossed they see what a good match unRaid is in the storage department (or any other nas for that matter) and go with an installation that supports headless installs.

I understand what you're saying about the different philosophies. UnRAID does take some getting used to and you do need a little linux knowledge to make it work. It's definitely not a plug and play appliance.

That being said, one thing we have to remember is that the Plex Media Server (PMS) is NOT open source. Plex devs need to compile a binary for a linux distribution. If they choose Ubuntu (which I'm guessing they will), they will compile the PMS binary for that distribution. Depending on the binary's dependencies, it may or may not be possible to get it to run on UnRAID (since it's based on Slack).

If it was open source, we could compile our own binaries for slack without issue. Quite a few people in these forums (myself included) know how to do this.

The good news is that thread is full of users requesting unRAID support. That may go a long way towards getting the plex devs to at least compile a binary for our NAS appliance of choice. At least this way, our community can worry about putting together a package for unraid that will install easily.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The lead developer on Plex posted a question about unraid compatibility and the slackware distro used.  Can anyone here with more knowledge on the subject post back to him with answers.  It would be awesome to have plex on unraid but I don't want to respond back with a slackware version only to find out that us unraid users have are missing some of the more common features that may be needed resulting in an incompatible package.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/21662-linux-support/page__view__findpost__p__166575

-Shane

was just about to post that. Would be great for someone with more knowledge to engage there!

My dream server would be a 'full fat' unraid: slackware with unraid compiled in, Plex PMS integrated and full (read 'easy') support for VMs. Off the shelf, out of the box, no custom compilation.

I'd pay good money for that.

He probably wouldn't get to that part, at that time he may just decide it's too difficult for Plex's intended audience and skip it.  Would be nice if there was just a virtual machine image I could send him a link to on my dropbox so he could just start the VM and get to work but last I read even getting unraid to work in a VM was difficult if memory serves.

• 2 weeks later...

And the race to get this implemented starts..

I hope Tom makes it easier to install packages soon, and document it properly!! At the moment unRAID is a sad state of affairs in terms of plugins. There are 3 different package managers..! None are official.

And 5 has been in beta for almost a year now...  we need to start putting in some serious effort to keep up with the other boys with bigger dev teams!

Unsure. I'll download and see. I'm presuming it'll need storage space.. Also presuming that it'll be reasonably sized.

Perhaps the days of 1Gb flash drives to boot unRAID are over?  :)

Would you store that data on the array? Also, installing a 100Mb package off flash might start to get annoying on every boot.

This would be simply amazing to have... would be the final missing piece in getting UnRAID setup operating at its peak.

Would be happy to have a crack at getting this running myself - are there any instructions around for how to (generically) do this?  Do you have to build a virtual Slackware machine and recompile?