Windows 10 on unRAID 6

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been using Windows 10 as a VM for a few days now and I have to say that I am liking it more than Win 8.1. I was able to upgrade in 8.1 to 10 but it was awful slow. I ended up installing a fresh Win 8.1 VM and then upgrading to 10 and it made a world of difference. If I had to guess it's because I didn't install any drivers for any devices until I finished upgrading to Win 10.

Thanks!  We're still doing lots of testing at this point to see what does and doesn't work consistently.  I will also agree that Windows 10 is better than 8, but I think we all could have seen that coming.

The reality is that for consumer-desktop users specifically, we can boil the benefits of Windows 10 down to a few key elements:

- Desktop mode (start menu)

- Notifications center

- Multiple desktop support

- DirectX 12

Sure there are loads of other goodies in there like Microsoft Edge, but I would consider those tier 2 benefits over the core.  The usability features of 10 finally catch it up to the likes of Linux and Mac, but with a wider set of available applications and more rich user experiences with high-performance graphics.

Here we go. Unsubstatiated but looks legitimate.

https://jonathan.porta.codes/2015/07/30/windows-10-seems-to-have-some-scary-privacy-defaults/

one line version: Sends your contacts, browsing history, typing history, writing history as well location and travel info to Microsoft AND their (unamed) partners

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/001116.html

one line version: Windows 10 joins you into a p2p like network so you are sending windows patches to random other internet people via your internet connection.

Also how much data mining must they do to make this feature work

"Automatically connect to networks shared by your contacts.”

Windows 10?.... Windows 1984 more like

So I have a Windows 10 insider build on a SeaBios based VM.

When I try to apply an update (presumably to release version) I encounter this blue screen of death issue..

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-blue-screen-death-error-c1900101-20017-during-installation-1513691

Solution there is to switch to UEFI.

Any ideas how this might be achieved with my unRAID vm?

Thanks

Did you try to use only one core for the VM when updating?

WOW,  i knew i got rid of all the PC's in this house for some reason LOL  That is crazy to have that much collection happening by default

You sound like an apple user...

3 iMac's ( Me, Wife, Son ) & 1 Ubuntu 15 ( Daughter )

I think we needed to wait before passing judgement. I expect all Microsoft is doing is catching up to the same user data scraping that Apple and Google started long ago. While we await clarification, best to turn off the Microsoft account, and other data leaks as noted above.

WOW,  i knew i got rid of all the PC's in this house for some reason LOL  That is crazy to have that much collection happening by default

You sound like an apple user...

3 iMac's ( Me, Wife, Son ) & 1 Ubuntu 15 ( Daughter )

I think we needed to wait before passing judgement. I expect all Microsoft is doing is catching up to the same user data scraping that Apple and Google started long ago. While we await clarification, best to turn off the Microsoft account, and other data leaks as noted above.

That's my take on it as well.  The truth is that there is a TON of software and web-services out there that do this already.  Google and Apple are just two of the big ones, but what about Facebook, twitter, and linkedin?  How many software products/services do you sign up for and fail to read the fine print?  And even if you did read it, how do you KNOW that is what they are abiding by at a technical level?

When I install Windows, I do not enable a Microsoft Account because I do not need the services they provide.  That said, if the rest of the world seems to be doing what they are now enabling, and they still offer you a way to disable it, then I say let the buyer beware and make an informed decision.

There is a tradeoff of convenience for security and privacy.  Different people have different thresholds of tolerance for this and therefore, different opinions on "default settings" for software.  The real questions to ask yourselves are these:

Is anything about this illegal?

Is anything about this unethical?

The first question is pretty obvious (no), but the second question is a personal one for each user to decide for themselves.

When I try to apply an update (presumably to release version) I encounter this blue screen of death issue..

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-blue-screen-death-error-c1900101-20017-during-installation-1513691

Thanks

^^^ what he said...

SeaBIOS upgrades seem to work for me, but OVMF upgrades haven't yet.  Then again, it's a coin toss.

The problem is not the trade offs between usabilty, privacy and security. In order to do some of the cool things they have to grab this data.

The problem is they do this by default and leave it to users to find it all and write guides to what it means and how to opt out etc.

Is this unethical?

Debatably. I would argue a strong yes. I always come back to what would people say if someone tried to do this stuff in real life. Its like that Mozilla video of the guy walking around on a phone profiling a girls shopping habits to someone on the other end of a phone and the girl starting to freak out. This win10 stuff is way more invasive than that.

Is it illegal?

No it wont be. Not because it cant or shouldnt be but because there wont be a test case to set precedent. Look at the huge illegality of windows just making IE the "hard to opt out of default browser". This was not illegal at the time but since then its a company breaker if you breach it. Again I come back to real life. This new win10 stuff could capture every personal bit of information a user has and store that away for unamed 3rd party use. In someone done that in real life without the default secret opt in it would be called stealing.

We are all giving up an incredible amount of personal information. Google's "don't be evil", and Apple's " mindless trusting customers " might all be in for a rude shock when we hear what is really bring done with our data.

Are we just assuming Microsoft is evil and Google is not?

Thanks

That did the trick, thanks.

Are we just assuming Microsoft is evil and Google is not?

No we are just pointing out that this new free OS upgrade comes with all new invasive privacy defaults that are hidden from the basic install path. What is acceptable or not is up to the user.

What I am interested to find out if there are deeper hidden back doors. I don't trust anyone too much anymore. I'd rather not have all my data going down any one pipe in case I suddenly find its been compromised.  I like Chrome but do split my browsing with Firefox as I trust them more.

Linux time anyone?

Hello.

Trying to cleanly install Win10 in a VM on unRAID6.0.1, following http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Installing_a_Windows_VM.

Can't seem to pass the driver loading screen, as if there's no drive installed or something.

When trying to load the drivers from virtio-win-0.1.9, I'm getting "No new device drivers were found".

Using the ISO file from Win10 Media Creation Tool, set up the VM using the defaults of the w8.1 template, 1 core only, increased RAM to 8GB.

Tried using virtio-win-0.1.105 (latest), but same issue.

Thanks

Hello.

Trying to cleanly install Win10 in a VM on unRAID6.0.1, following http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Installing_a_Windows_VM.

Can't seem to pass the driver loading screen, as if there's no drive installed or something.

When trying to load the drivers from virtio-win-0.1.9, I'm getting "No new device drivers were found".

Using the ISO file from Win10 Media Creation Tool, set up the VM using the defaults of the w8.1 template, 1 core only, increased RAM to 8GB.

Tried using virtio-win-0.1.105 (latest), but same issue.

You certainly will not see a disk until you get the virtio drivers loaded.    Not sure why you cannot load them - I had no issues. 

Just upgraded my Windows 8.1 VM to Windows 10 Pro.  OVMF boot and HD 5450 GPU passthrough.  Set the number of CPUs to one and used a Windows 10 iso.  Upgrade went fine.

I had the Virtio 0.1.105 drivers loaded before I started the upgrade and I upgraded the HD 5450 and Realtek audio drivers to the Windows 10 drivers after the upgrade.

I have also upgraded several other physical computers (Windows 7 and 8.1) without issues.  This is the smoothest Windows upgrade I've seen.

Heads up:  The Windows 10 upgrade turns the disk defragmentation schedule back on.  If you have an SSD cache drive for your VM image, you should turn the SSD defrag schedule off.  It has no value on an SSD and will write unnecessarily on the SSD.  I also turn off file indexing.  It also has no value on an SSD and just unnecessarily wears the SSD drive.

I have an issue with my Windows 10 VM when trying to RDP to another Windows 10 computer.  Before I upgraded my VM to Windows 10, I could RDP to my office Windows 7 computer without a problem.  After I ungraded the VM to Windows 10 I could still RDP to my Windows 7 office computer.  After I upgraded my office computer to Windows 10 I get a login error trying to RDP to the office computer.  I also get a login error when trying to RDP to a local Windows 10 computer.

The issue seems to be doing an RDP from a Windows 10 VM to another Windows 10 computer.  All other cases of RDP work as expected.  I'm using the older RDP.

Has anyone else run into this and have a solution?