Upgrading unRaid-5 to unRaid-6

With release of 6.0.1 the plugin that handles updating v6 also can upgrade v5 to v6.

Read this first:

* Make a backup of your USB Flash device.

* Take a screenshot of your webGui Main page.  This will make it easier to restore your disk assignments if necessary (shouldn't be).

* Do not try to use this plugin if you are coming from a version of unRAID prior to v5.0-beta6, including all v4 releases.  Please use the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide as a 'clean' install, and do not attempt to restore your configuration files.  You will need to assign all of your drives again in v6.

* If you have never run the New Permissions tool, or are upgrading from a version prior to v5.0-rc9, then you MUST run the New Permissions tool, even if you have run it before.  It's on the v6 Tools page.

* Whether you use this plugin or not, it is recommended to read the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide.

There are two methods which can be used to upgrade using this plugin:

Method 1 - using command line

Use console or telnet session to log into your unRAID-5 server.

Use 'wget' command to fetch the unRAIDServer.plg file:

wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/limetech/unRAIDServer/master/unRAIDServer.plg

Then perform the upgrade by typing this command:

installplg unRAIDServer.plg

When upgrade has completed, reboot your server.

Method 2 - using reboot sequence

Download the unRAIDServer.plg file to your PC from this link (windows: right-click, save-as):

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/limetech/unRAIDServer/master/unRAIDServer.plg

Copy the file to the 'config/plugins' directory on your 'flash' share.

Reboot your server TWICE.  That is, the first time your server is rebooted, it still boots into unRAID-5 but during the boot process it will download and install the unRAID-6 release.  Reboot a second time to actually boot into unRAID-6.

What the upgrade does:

- Checks that your CPU is 64-bit capable

- Downloads the 32-bit version of ‘infozip’ package from slackware.cs.utah.edu into /boot/extra directory.  This is needed for the ‘unzip’ command.

- Downloads the ‘latest’ unRaid-6 release zip file and md5 file from the LimeTech Amazon-S3 account.

- Verifies there is enough free space on the flash.  There needs to be around 150MB free space.

- Unzips release and copies release files to temp directory on flash.

- Preserves the current unRaid-5 release files to a directory on the flash called ./unRAID5

- extra/

- packages/

- plugins/

- config/plugins/

- config/plugins/go

- Copies the release files from temp directory to root of flash device.

- Copies a fresh ‘go’ file to the config directory.

- If your key file is in root of the USB flash, it’s copied to config directory.

When the server is booted into unRaid-6 it's a fully 'stock' install, but with your unRaid-specific config files intact.  Meaning all your disks assignments, users, etc. should still be present.

[glow=red,2,300]ALL PLUGINS AND EXTRA PACKAGES WILL NOT BE UPDATED[/glow]

To add missing functionality provided by unRAID-5 plugins, please look for equivalent unRAID-6 Docker containers.

If you decide to revert back to unRAID-5 this can be accomplished using this command:

plugin remove unRAIDServer.plg

I'm using method #1 and it seems the upgrade download and install completed successfully but each time I reboot unRAID I still boot into v5.06.  (I rebooted multiple times.) The telnet output of the upgrade process is attached.  I'm running in a VM on ESXi but that doesn't matter, correct?

Edit:  also attached syslog.txt

Since nobody else has piped in, I'll take my best shot.  I would presume that the upgrade plg is updating the flash drive you have labelled UNRAID, but ESXI is actually booting unRaid through a VMDK or something of the like.  In which case the plug will not work.  Don't run ESXI, so this is just a shot in the dark

Thanks Squid!  I do run unRAID on a VMDK but have the key, config, etc on a USB flash drive that the VM uses.  I think you nailed it and only the USB flash was upgraded.  I'm checking now to see if this resolves it.

Edit:  This does appear what happened, the USB flash was upgraded but not the VMDK file.  But I'm having a space problem with the VMDK.  The VMDK is provisioned with 8GB space as think lazy zeroed, but only showing 93MB of disk space capacity.  Not enough space to copy over unRAID 6.01...but really wondering what happened to the VMDK to lose all the space.  Seeing if there is a way to reclaim the space or I might create a new VMDK file.

Per: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6#New_Permissions

If you were running a version of unRAID prior to v5.0-rc9, or have never run it, then you MUST run the New Permissions tool, on the Tools tab. If your array is up and running now, then NOW is when you should run it! If you still need to assign the drives, then do it once the array is running correctly. But don't forget, or your files and folders may not be fully accessible. It does not matter if this is a 'clean' or 'upgrade' install, because it is your data files and folders that need their permissions corrected. Even if you have run the New Permissions tool before, if it was prior to v5.0-rc9, then you need to run it again

Does this plugin take care of that? is that needed/way to test if its needed?

also side question, for unraid6 does this still apply:

Per: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6#More_Tips

The newer Linux kernels have automatic CPU frequency step down when more CPU speed is not needed, saving power and heat. But, if your CPU is an Intel Haswell or possibly an Ivy Bridge, including most Xeon's, then there is a frequency scaling issue with the intel_pstate driver, and it needs to be disabled.

I'm using method #1 and it seems the upgrade download and install completed successfully but each time I reboot unRAID I still boot into v5.06.  (I rebooted multiple times.) The telnet output of the upgrade process is attached.  I'm running in a VM on ESXi but that doesn't matter, correct?

Edit:  also attached syslog.txt

The reason is not working for you because you are using BetaQuasi VMDK file?

Instead of VMDK, change to PLOP - Boot to unRAID USB via PLOP unRAID Guest. See information here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40679.0

The advantage of using PLOP is you can use unRAIDs (v6) built in OS Update.

If I were you, I would take a take a screenshot of your webGui Main page and  Make a backup of your USB Flash device.

Then format your USB, use PLOP VM and fresh unRAID 6 install.

Yes it's a BetaQuasi VMDK file, which was the reason the partition was ~ 100 MB and the reason that the upgrade script and v6 OS update don't work in this setup.  BetaQuasi's VMDKs split the base unRAID files and config files between a virtual hard drive and USB device.  I believe this was done for quicker booting.  BetaQuasi VMDKs have been reliable and served well but since this architecture doesn't work with unRAID v6, I'll switch to PLOP and follow your suggestions.

Thanks Ice_Black!

Update:  I kept the VMDK format given that a v6.01 VMDK was posted.  Plop seems to have a much slower boot and the "USB reset" quirk vs VMDK for ESXi configurations (like mine).  Limetech recommends bare metal only, so I may eventually migrate to bare metal, but I'll have to migrate/recreate all my ESXi VMs to KVM.  (on the list to research)

v6 is awesome!  Good job to Limetech and the community!  unRAID totally blows away the competition!!  8)

Per: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6#New_Permissions

If you were running a version of unRAID prior to v5.0-rc9, or have never run it, then you MUST run the New Permissions tool, on the Tools tab. If your array is up and running now, then NOW is when you should run it! If you still need to assign the drives, then do it once the array is running correctly. But don't forget, or your files and folders may not be fully accessible. It does not matter if this is a 'clean' or 'upgrade' install, because it is your data files and folders that need their permissions corrected. Even if you have run the New Permissions tool before, if it was prior to v5.0-rc9, then you need to run it again

The plugin does not do it for you.  In v5.0-rc9, a final permission or owner change was made to the New Permissions tool, so if the last time you ran it was before that, then you need to run it again now.  If you have NEVER run it, then certainly you need to run it.

The newer Linux kernels have automatic CPU frequency step down when more CPU speed is not needed, saving power and heat. But, if your CPU is an Intel Haswell or possibly an Ivy Bridge, including most Xeon's, then there is a frequency scaling issue with the intel_pstate driver, and it needs to be disabled.

Good question!  This was added to the guide during earlier beta testing, so it has possibly been resolved.  It's my understanding that some felt it was just a reporting issue, not a true problem, but that did not seemed to be confirmed once and for all.  Have you tested it for yourself?

Does the reboot after upgrade take a long time?  I have been waiting about 10 minutes and can not pull up my server yet.  I upgraded using method 1.

I would be connecting up a monitor to your server and having a look.  (Don't plug in a PS-2 style keyboard (or mouse) into a powered up Computer, though!!!) 

You did make a backup of your Flash Drive first...

Does the reboot after upgrade take a long time?  I have been waiting about 10 minutes and can not pull up my server yet.  I upgraded using method 1.

I would be connecting up a monitor to your server and having a look.  (Don't plug in a PS-2 style keyboard (or mouse) into a powered up Computer, though!!!) 

I did make a backup.  Was running 5.0.6.  My monitor is not getting a signal when I hook it up, which I thought was kinda weird.  I guess  I will revert back to v5 and see what happens.

I did make a backup.  Was running 5.0.6.  My monitor is not getting a signal when I hook it up, which I thought was kinda weird.  I guess  I will revert back to v5 and see what happens.

One Thing, what is the size of your Flash Drive?  If it is a small one (1GB or less), it might have ended up 'Full'. 

You might also want to try to boot up with that updated Flash and the monitor connected, so you can see what is happening. 

Reason for Edit:  Corrected formatting!

One Thing, what is the size of your Flash Drive?  If it is a small one (1GB or less), it might have ended up 'Full'. 

You might also want to try to boot up with that updated Flash and the monitor connected, so you can see what is happening. 

Reason for Edit:  Corrected formatting!

This is a 2gb flash drive so I think I am ok there.  I have now tried method 1 and 2 to upgrade.  Neither have worked.  I hooked up the monitor to watch during boot and got this message:  ERROR:  No configuration file found

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

Not sure what configuration file it is talking about.

The upgrade plugin does not run make_bootable, so you may have run into what everyone runs into sooner or later, somewhere during the v5 betas to v6 betas to v6 final - the need to update the syslinux boot support.  Try taking the flash drive to a desktop station, Windows or Mac, and running the appropriate make_bootable, then try booting again with it.  See the Make it bootable section.

There is also a Troubleshooting section of the upgrade guide, for a couple of issues with the upgrade, namely that the boot order may have to be fixed, and that networking may have to be changed.

I ran into what Pat did,

"If you have never run the New Permissions tool, or are upgrading from a version prior to v5.0-rc9, then you MUST run the New Permissions tool, even if you have run it before.  It's on the v6 Tools page." Is this a typo? Should it be the V5 utilities page?

I copied my V5 Backup back to flash, will run permissions util, if no luck with that I will try the make bootable.

up and running now. To get upgrade to work I followed the plugin steps, moved flash drive to PC, DL the V6 zip and copied the syslinux file to the flash drive, then ran the makebootable bat file. (running makebootable does not work after plugin upgrade since syslinux folder did not exist) Then moved flash drive back to unraid server, and powered back up.

I ran into what Pat did,

"If you have never run the New Permissions tool, or are upgrading from a version prior to v5.0-rc9, then you MUST run the New Permissions tool, even if you have run it before.  It's on the v6 Tools page." Is this a typo? Should it be the V5 utilities page?

I copied my V5 Backup back to flash, will run permissions util, if no luck with that I will try the make bootable.

It's in both places.

I tried to use this plugin to update from v5.0.6 and it seemed like it worked.  I  verified the directory structure after rebooting.  Unfortunately now the machine won't boot.  It says:

SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-25 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
Could not find kernel image: linux
boot:

With a blinking prompt after boot.  Thoughts?

Edit:  While I was posting I saw RobJ's comment.  Going to try that.

Edit2:  Looks like make_bootable_mac fails.  Not sure where to go from here.

/Volumes/UNRAID/make_bootable_mac ; exit;
iMac-2:~ Jason$ /Volumes/UNRAID/make_bootable_mac ; exit;
INFO: make_bootable_mac v1.1

INFO: The following drive appears to be the unRAID USB Flash drive: 
/dev/disk4
UNRAID 4.0GB

cp: /Volumes/UNRAID/syslinux/*: No such file or directory
To continue please enter your admin Password:
sudo: /tmp/UNRAID/syslinux/make_bootable_mac.sh: command not found
logout

[Process completed]

Edit3: Looks like installing from plugin doesn't get you the syslinux folder, which is required for the script.  I copied it from the 6.0.1 .zip release and ran make_bootable_mac again and it succeeded.  Might want to add copying that syslinux folder to the plugin install.

Edit4: That maybe got a little further.  I now get:

SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-25 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
_

with that last line a blinking cursor.  It's been stuck there for about 5 minutes now with no further progress.  Looks like plugin upgrade was a failure.  :'(  Will revert to the manual process.  Glad I made a couple backups before I started.

Edit5: Looks like a manual install of 6.0.1 does the exact same thing.  I guess go back to v5?  Since this seems like it might be unrelated to the plugin I made a separate post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41088.msg389042#msg389042

When stuck at the SYSLINUX part, the USB stick is not bootable.

Take it out of unRAID and put in your PC, run "make_bootable".

Perhaps, LimeTech should get the Linux equivalent of make_bootable, include it in the plugin and run it as a part of the upgrade plugin.

Hey that's a good idea  8)  I'll look into it.

Running the script failed for me, I think because my router doesn't respond to pings:

root@Tower:/boot# gateway=$(route -n | awk '/^0.0.0.0/ {print $2}')
root@Tower:/boot# echo $gateway

ping -q -n -c 1 $gateway
PING 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
(20 seconds later)
^C 
--- 192.168.1.2 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms

But I commented out the lines in the .plg that do that check, and then the installer finished okay:

Update successful - PLEASE REBOOT YOUR SERVER
success
file /tmp/unRAIDServer.sh: successfully wrote INLINE file contents
  /bin/bash /tmp/unRAIDServer.sh ... success
plugin successfully installed

Going to reboot now, crossing fingers...

EDIT - Rest was smooth, loving 6!

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41126.0

Followed step 1.

Could not find kernel image: linux
boot:

Make Bootable v1.2
Volume in drive E is UNRAID
Volume Serial Number is asdf
Press any key to continue . . .
E:\syslinux\syslinux.exe -maf E:
The system cannot find the path specified.
Completed
Press any key to continue . . .