Important unRAID 6.1 Plugin System Changes

jonp

During the development of unRAID 6.1, we have made a number of changes to security that affect how plugins work.  Plugin authors were notified of the changes via PM and a more detailed write-up with the specifics on the changes can be found under the Programming forum.  With these changes, some plugins that have worked under unRAID 6.0/6.0.1 may not work with 6.1 until the authors of the plugins update them to be compatible with the changes.  To help folks determine whether or not their plugins will work with 6.1, we are making some additional changes to the forum.

Change:  Plugins (V6) Forum

Previously, this forum was used to house all the community made plugins that worked with unRAID 6.  However, to more closely reflect the Docker and VM forums, the Plugins forum will now be used for getting support with the plugin system on unRAID in general, as well as making requests for additional plugins that community members can respond to.  No support threads for individual plugins will live in this forum.  All members will have access to create new topics or reply to existing ones in this forum.

New Child Board:  6.1 (Verified)

This new child board will be used to house support threads for plugins that are compatible with unRAID 6.1.  Only Community Developers have permissions to create new topics in this forum, but all members will have the ability to reply to those topics.  As plugins are updated by authors to be compatible with 6.1, moderators and LT staff will move corresponding threads to this board.

New Child Board:  6.0 (Unverified)

Plugins that have not been verified to work correctly with unRAID 6.1 will have their threads exist under this board.  Users leveraging plugins that live in this board should either remove their dependency on these plugins or hold off upgrading to 6.1 until the author updates their plugin to be 6.1 compatible.

FAQ

Q:  Does “Verified” mean that the plugins is supported by Lime Tech?

A:  No.  Plugins are created and supported by the unRAID community.  Some projects that start as plugins are eventually merged into unRAID OS itself, but until that occurs, they are considered “use at your own risk.”  The “Verified” designation simply means that the plugin adheres to certain security standards placed in 6.1.  Please note: All plugins still execute as root whether Verified or not.

Q:  I have Plugins on my 6.0/6.0.1 installed that are in the “Unverified” child board.  How can I upgrade to 6.1 and retain all my functionality?

A:  Much of the functionality that plugins previously provided has either been merged into unRAID OS itself or can be achieved through the use of Docker Containers and/or Virtual Machines.  In the end, users have to make the choice for themselves, but please keep in mind that running a non-current version leaves you unsupported from Lime Technology, so if issues occur, you will be on your own for support.

Q:  I already upgraded to 6.1 and now my plugins broke.  I’d like to go back to the previous version for now.  How do I do that? To revert your 6.1 install to the previously installed version, browse to your server over SMB and open the “flash” share.  Navigate inside the folder called “previous” and copy it’s contents to the parent folder (the root of the “flash” share).  Then reboot your system.  This will revert you to the previously installed version of unRAID.

how about using two root level items instead of two subforums? this would reduce mouse click count :)

How so?  You can get to the subforums in a single click (you do not need to go into Plugins (v6) to get to either of the two subforums).

We don't want to do this because this is also just a temporary measure as we transition folks from 6.0 to 6.1.

keep in mind that running a non-current version leaves you unsupported from Lime Technology, so if issues occur, you will be on your own for support.

I hope that's strictly in the context of plugin support.  And that reasonably previous version of unRAID will still be supported in-general.

i.e. nobody's going to pretend 5.06 (or even 6.0) never existed the day 6.1 is released.

keep in mind that running a non-current version leaves you unsupported from Lime Technology, so if issues occur, you will be on your own for support.

I hope that's strictly in the context of plugin support.  And that reasonably previous version of unRAID will still be supported in-general.

i.e. nobody's going to pretend 5.06 (or even 6.0) never existed the day 6.1 is released.

What we're saying is that if you have an issue with 6.0.1 after 6.1 is released, a potential resolution path could be to upgrade to 6.1 (depending on the issue).  If you refuse to take that path because of your dependency on plugins that aren't compatible, then are ability to help will be limited.

how about using two root level items instead of two subforums? this would reduce mouse click count :)

How so?  You can get to the subforums in a single click (you do not need to go into Plugins (v6) to get to either of the two subforums).

We don't want to do this because this is also just a temporary measure as we transition folks from 6.0 to 6.1.

ok, i will try to explain my idea better  (sorry, english is not my native..).

i see two things there:

- when you are on root of the forum, you see what is the last topic of every forum, but you wont see this with subforum

- when you click on "new" icon on the root forum, you jump directly to that topic's last unread post. when you see "new" on subforum, you first must click inside and then do second click to jump to last post of particular topic.. 

i can live with that no probs, but i think it will be a long way to move all topics form 6.0 to 6.1, some will stay for 6.0 forever...

ok, i will try to explain my idea better  (sorry, english is not my native..).

i see two things there:

- when you are on root of the forum, you see what is the last topic of every forum, but you wont see this with subforum

- when you click on "new" icon on the root forum, you jump directly to that topic's last unread post. when you see "new" on subforum, you first must click inside and then do second click to jump to last post of particular topic.. 

i can live with that no probs, but i think it will be a long way to move all topics form 6.0 to 6.1, some will stay for 6.0 forever...

Those that stay as 6.0 forever will simply be deprecated or moved to the legacy support forum.

Well unmenu has lots of simple apps that you can use these in essence are like unmenu because they don't use the Official plugin style or integration. I am a avid user of unmenu and its apps as a back door for when the main page won't come up. And other low level tools.

Only the 64bit packages from unMenu will work in unRAID v6, but that is the only ones unMenu should make available to you when you run it on unRAID v6. Haven't checked recently to see how many 64bit packages it offers now. I know some of those that were available on unRAID v5 were not there for unRAID v6.

Thank you so none of the rules in this thread apply to unmenu type items.

unMenu and its pages I think you can expect to work if you apply the fix in the post I (mis-)linked. The things in unMenu PKG Manager that you can install in unRAID v6 should work. Not completely sure about the things in unMenu User Scripts. Try them and if they don't work post on the unMenu thread.

Are those changes backward-compatible or the community devs must explicitly deal with both 6.0 and 6.1 when they update their plugins?

Some of the security changes are not backwards compatible (mainly those involving 'cmd' and  'update.htm'). When a plugin makes use of this construction then special arrangements need to be included to make the plugin compatible for both v6.0 and v6.1.

Of course it is the ultimate decision of the plugin developer if backward compatibility is included or not.

So how exactly those updates are handled by the update manager (in the webUI) ? I'm running 6.0.1 and some plugins I use are getting updates, I have to manually check with every plugin owner whether or not they included 6.0.1 compatibility ? or did the system hide those incompatible updates until I'm running 6.1 ?

So how exactly those updates are handled by the update manager (in the webUI) ? I'm running 6.0.1 and some plugins I use are getting updates, I have to manually check with every plugin owner whether or not they included 6.0.1 compatibility ? or did the system hide those incompatible updates until I'm running 6.1 ?

The system does not know if the plugins are compatible with 6.1 or not so you DO have to check compatibility yourself..  If you click on the blue 'i' icon against any particular plugin to bring up the release notes they should tell you whether the plugin has been updated to be 6.1 compatible.

I'm talking about 6.0.1 backward compatibility, not 6.1 compatibility.

I understand that those plugins are "use at your own risk" but pushing updates that aren't compatible is an issue, I hope we'll agree on that.

That being said, maybe there's no way to fix that automagically, so maybe it's good time to add some sort of mintestedversion/maxtestedversion metadata in the plugin file.

I'm talking about 6.0.1 backward compatibility, not 6.1 compatibility.

The release notes should always tell you about compatibility.  At this point it is probably reasonable to assume that existing v6 plugins are compatible with v6.0.1 as the current production release and the release notes need to be consulted for what level of compatibility (if any) there is with 6.1.

If you are on v6 releases earlier then 6.0.1 then you probably also need to consult the release notes as well.  I think that for a few plugins there have already been statements that they are no longer validated against the original 6.0 release,

English is not my native language so I'm guessing that I'm not being clear enough because I've understood what you're saying, and this is not the issue I'm talking about  :'(

But I've also understood that while running 6.0.1 I could receive plugins updates that will make those plugins to stop working.

I'll stop updating them until 6.1 is released then :D

People running 6.0.1 needs to be informed about that imo.

If you are on v6 releases earlier then 6.0.1 then you probably also need to consult the release notes as well.  I think that for a few plugins there have already been statements that they are no longer validated against the original 6.0 release,

Community Applications (for an example) is compatible with 6.0.1 and 6.1 RC5 & 6.  6.0 I *Believe* it will work (but am unable to test).  The same is also true for 6.1 RC1-4 - I *think* it will still work but am not able to test.  The net result is that at this time I'm only supporting 6.0.1 and 6.1 RC5 & 6.

Yeah, changlog for Community Applications was somehow explicit, that's the only one I ended updated :D

Since there's lot of community dev in here, what do you think of the mintested/maxtestedversion directly in the plugin file? It would solve most issue, right ?