New to Unraid - starting to piece together a build

Hi all,

I'm totally new to Unraid and I'm just starting to plan a build but just need some advice on a CPU. It's a used CPU and I want to make sure that it's not some special engineering sample or something that would be missing features.

It's a Intel-Xeon-E5-2650-2-GHz-Eight-Core-BX80621E52650-Processor.

Brand Intel

Processor Model Xeon E5-2650

MPN BX80621E52650

UPC 675900005570

Key Features

Clock Speed 2 GHz

CPU Socket Type Socket F, Socket R

Multi-Core Technology Eight Core

Processor Quantity 1

Product Type Processor

Cache Memory

Level 1 Size 32 KB

Level 2 Size 256 KB

Level 3 Size 20 MB

Type Advanced Smart Cache

Expansion / Connectivity

Compatible Slots 1 x processor - LGA2011 Socket

Other Features

Manufacturing Process 32 nm

64-bit Computing Yes

Architecture Features Enhanced SpeedStep Technology, Execute Disable Bit Capability, Identity Protection Technology, Intel 64 Technology, Intel AES New Instructions (AES-NI), Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, Intel Virtualization Technology, Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O ( VT-d), Thermal Monitoring Technology

Platform Compatibility PC

Miscellaneous

Max. Operating Temperature 67.4 °C

Will this work?  :)

What do you intend to do with your unRAID server? Do you intend to use it just as NAS or do you want to utilize other features?

A Xeon is a powerful processor and can be overkill depending on how you intend to use unRAID.

The CPU will work, choosing the motherboard can be a little trickier, you want to make sure you get the features you want.

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly.  :)

It will be used as a NAS (my current NAS just died). I plan to add some dockers as well as set it up as a Plex server with the NAS most likely doing the transcoding of .mkv files. Not sure about any VMs yet.

I see what you're saying about motherboards. The only one I can find at the moment for socket 2011 is: Supermicro X9DRL-EF Xeon 2XLGA2011 DDR3 ECC 6SATA 4PCIE 2GBLAN IPMI ATX Motherboard and it's not even in stock. CND $475. I also like the IPMI feature.

Is investing in socket 2011 sort of a limited future considering the age of the socket, DDR3, etc? The good thing is that the motherboard (if still available somewhere in Canada) supports dual CPUs.

Edit: Found some SuperMicro socket 2011 mobos with DDR4 but not sure if they have IMPI yet. Example: Supermicro X10DRL-I LGA2011 E5-2600V3 C612 DDR4 PCI-EXPRESS SATA ATX Motherboard. of course, all back-ordered.

One reason why I was looking at socket 2011 specifically is because I can get the Xeon-E5-2650 (not v3) for like $60.

There are several threads on these CPUs:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46077.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52277.msg501654#msg501654

These chips are server pulls from old corporate servers (Facebook?) that are being decomm'd.  They are powerful, old, hot chips that present an interesting opportunity if you need a lot of horsepower, but they're not for everyone.

Thanks.

Looks like both those threads are concentrating on the 2670 rather than the 2650 but I'm sure just as relevant. I guess the problem is finding a socket 2011 motherboard that has IPMI, preferably DDR4, possibly dual sockets for a decent price. These 2011 motherboards are still pretty expensive.

I understand the allure of cheap multicore Xeon's but you have to consider what you are getting yourself into. I think that socket 2011 boards will still be made for the foreseeable future, but I guess the question is, is it for you? The Supermicro X9DRL-EF is a nice board by the looks of it, but is uses expensive UDIMMS which you may not need. Something else to watch out for when researching 2011 boards is their size, they can often wind up being E-ATX or stranger sizes like SSI EEB  and then you need to find a specific case to fit the motherboard which can boost the cost. If you want features like IPMI, then sure you are going to be focusing on brands like Supermicro and ASRock who make great boards, but maybe you don't need a Xeon, maybe a quad core i7 will fit the bill, and maybe it doesn't have to be the latest intel release either, maybe a socket 1155 board and an Intel Core i7-3770K are all you need.