1155 Motherboards support with HBA`s. Gigabyte ga-z77x-up7 + LSI 9211

Hi,

I have never used unraid before, but i am thinking of trying it.

I have and old intel 2500K and 16GB of RAM laying around, but i do not have a motherboard.

I have found a used Gigabyte ga-z77x-up7 online, and i want to use it with a couple of HBA`s. (m1015 or lsi9211)

I have tried to google, but didn’t find anything, i don’t know if this motherboard support other expansion cards like HBA other than graphic cards.

does anyone here have experience with this motherboard? Are there different motherboards that are better to use?

I have seen on other motherboards like the asrock z77 extreme6, is this a better choice?

Link : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4334#ov

Regards,

Emmerhoffen

I can't comment on the HBA's but just a note that the 2500k will not support passthrough for VMs but is absolutely fine for NAS and docker duties

Thanks for the reply, i know about the 2500k, the server will be used for mainly NAS and a couple of VMS, but controlled with RDP. Dont think that Would be a problem?

The most important thing is a motherboard that support 2-3 HBA controllers. And the Gigabyte board looked perfect with 4 pcie slots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDP will be fine, I used it until I swapped the CPU for a 2500 so I could passthrough a GPU. I had a similar gigabyte board but never used HBAs just a small sata controller which worked fine

Added a link to the motherboard.

Since you used a sata controller with luck it will probably be fine with a HBA in IT mode, but still not shure.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless there is a specific compatibility, pretty much any mother board is going to work with an m1015 and unRAID. I have setup five servers, all different hardware, with unRAID and they worked fine. That's not to say you may not have issues, but in terms of general compatibility, you should be fine. The m1015 is a very popular HBA as is the Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 which myself and many others use.

Unless there is a specific compatibility, pretty much any mother board is going to work with an m1015 and unRAID. I have setup five servers, all different hardware, with unRAID and they worked fine. That's not to say you may not have issues, but in terms of general compatibility, you should be fine. The m1015 is a very popular HBA as is the Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 which myself and many others use.

Thanks for the reply, that’s good to hear. I kind of expect some sort of issues when setting it up, but if compatibility isn’t a problem it will always work out! :-)