To upgrade or not to upgrade - that is the question...

So I've been running a Sempron 140 Sargas Single-Core 2.7 GHz with 4GB of DDR2 memory for several years now. It's done me pretty well, although I don't do that much crazy stuff with it - my only dockers are Crashplan and Plex. Once in a while I get stuttering issues with Plex, although I'm not sure if it's my devices or the server since I only use direct play (no transcoding) since it's always inside my network. The devices I use for Plex are 2 Samsung Smart TVs and an Amazon Fire Stick.

Either way, I've been thinking about upgrading the CPU (and I guess the mobo and memory would have to upgrade with it). Was thinking maybe an i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz. Not sure what mobo I should match that up with, but would like something that would ideally allow for 10 drives, although I could get by with 8.

I don't do VM and don't plan to, although admittedly I'm not sure what that is used for on an unRAID server? What do people use the VMs for?

I notice I don't see much talk about AMD on here. Is there a reason for that? It seems like you get more bang for your buck with something like an AMD FX-9590.

Another option I could have if I wanted to save a lot of cash (which I'm guessing wouldn't even be worth it) would be to just upgrade the Sempron to a Phenom II...then I wouldn't have to upgrade the mobo.

I just recently pulled my Sempron 140 and dropped in an Athlon x4 630 that I bought off Ebay for 25Bucks.

I'd look at your Mother Board and see what you can drop on it for a cheap upgrade unless of course your very particular. ;)

Apparently I can put a Phenom II in my mobo.