Wiil adding a SSD speed up Sabnzb and NZBGet?

dikkiedirk

Will adding a SSD to an unraid server speed up the verifying,repairing and unpacking that SABNZBD and NZBGet do?

If so, what would be the best scenario: adding it as a cache drive and let SAB and NZBGet do their work there or adding the SSD as an unassigned device and let SAB and NZBGet use it upto their repairing job and unpack it to a share? I still have my shares set up to use a cache drive, so the unpacked files wil end up on the cache drive first.

Would a lower priced low end ssd already give a decent speed increase?

Will adding a SSD to an unraid server speed up the verifying,repairing and unpacking that SABNZBD and NZBGet do?

If so, what would be the best scenario: adding it as a cache drive and let SAB and NZBGet do their work there or adding the SSD as an unassigned device and let SAB and NZBGet use it upto their repairing job and unpack it to a share? I still have my shares set up to use a cache drive, so the unpacked files wil end up on the cache drive first.

Let sabnzbd run from the cachedrive and do its processing on there, then make sure you have the folders on the array with cache enabled.. Thats what I am doing.. works fine..

Let sabnzbd run from the cachedrive and do its processing on there, then make sure you have the folders on the array with cache enabled.. Thats what I am doing.. works fine..

Thanks. Will changing my cache drive to a SSD speed up things significantly. Or is it better to switch from SABNZBD to NZBGet?

Thanks. Will changing my cache drive to a SSD speed up things significantly. Or is it better to switch from SABNZBD to NZBGet?

Personally, I wouldn't splash out on a SSD purely for this.  I use a spinning cache and can't say the unpack times are unreasonable.  But it will help with speed if the rate limiting step is the disk IO, it won't help with speed if the rate limiting step is CPU horsepower.

NzbGet is only quicker if you have seriously low powered hardware.. I dont know what you are expecting.. There will be some time difference, but personally I would not care if unpacking a movie would take 3 minutes instead of 5.. I do it this way because it keeps my array spun down (which is also is of no use but I like for some reason ;-)

NzbGet is only quicker if you have seriously low powered hardware.. I dont know what you are expecting.. There will be some time difference, but personally I would not care if unpacking a movie would take 3 minutes instead of 5.. I do it this way because it keeps my array spun down (which is also is of no use but I like for some reason ;-)

I am not so concerned about the unpacking but more about repairing which sometimes take quit some time. I sometimes try to get older stuff of 1500+ days old which sometimes need a lot of fixing. I think repairing takes cpu power but also a lot of disk I/O.

One thing you may want to consider as an alternative is an alternative usenet provider, I use three and this most always means I can get things that are either very old or fail with my main usenet provider. Check out tweaknews.eu which is a European usenet provider, you can purchase 100GB block accounts for around $20.00 While you may be getting everything you want now, it sounds like repairs are taking awhile, in my years of using usenet and different hardware configurations, I have only seen a significant bump in CPU make any difference to the unpacking or repairing.

One thing you may want to consider as an alternative is an alternative usenet provider, I use three and this most always means I can get things that are either very old or fail with my main usenet provider. Check out tweaknews.eu which is a European usenet provider, you can purchase 100GB block accounts for around $20.00 While you may be getting everything you want now, it sounds like repairs are taking awhile, in my years of using usenet and different hardware configurations, I have only seen a significant bump in CPU make any difference to the unpacking or repairing.

True, a block account is an option. But this isn't any help if a small .nfo file is missing that is in the nzb. sabnzb wants to repair this, taking quit some time and loading the cpu  where nzbget ignores the .nfo file and starts unpacking. There might be a switch in sabnzb to do the same but I haven't found it yet.

I have used SABnzb in the past and on the advice of someone on this board I tried NZBget, I found it to take up far less resources than SAB and actually run better. However, the deal breaker for me was I couldn't configure it to send notifications in the form of an email on the completion or failure of a download, something SAB does easily.