[PLUGIN DEPRECATED] VM Manager (2015.02.24)

dmacias

Plugin Merged into unRAID 6

As of unRAID 6.0-beta15, VM Manager has been adopted into the mainline build.  Existing users of this plugin should remove it before installing unRAID 6-beta15 or newer.

This is a PHP libvirt-based Web interface for managing virtual machines. It allows you to add and edit XML configs, autostart, start, stop, pause, resume and destroy domains. Create and remove images.  A VNC viewer over a web socket tunnel presents a full graphical console to the guest domain. KVM is currently the only hypervisor supported.

Current Version: 2015.02.24

This is for beta 12 and above with dynamix webgui.

Copy this link and paste in the Install section form in the Plugins menu of the unRAID webgui. Then click install.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/dynamix.kvm.manager/master/dynamix.kvm.manager.plg

The virtMan.plg is now merged and can be removed after update. Do not to delete the virtMan config folder till you update and are sure your vm's are working. The update will copy virtMan.img to /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager/domain.img. Otherwise you'll loose your xml's.

These are for beta 10

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/vmMan/master/vmMan.plg

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/virtMan/master/virtMan.plg

I added many tooltips. So if you don't know what a button does, hover your mouse above it.

Libvirt must be running for this plugin to work. And you must define a bridge in unRAID webgui network settings.

As of beta 10 libvirt doesn't auto start/stop with the array.  All xml files will be stored in domain.img in /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.kvm.manager.  domain.img will be mounted at /etc/libvirt  Existing conf files can be copied to /etc/libvirt once the plugin is installed or pasted into VM Manager. You can edit conf files to you needs. You can put your vm xml files in /etc/libvirt/qemu. No need for symlink scripts, powerdown scripts or anything else.

If you have any problems remove the plugin from the plugin menu then reinstall.

Virtual Machines

The editor will automatically add the namespace line if qemu:commandline arguments are present

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

For manually created vm's you need to edit the vnc section in your vm xml file for console to work. Should look like this.

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>

fstab example of 9p sharing from my ubuntu vm

shares   /mnt    9p  trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,msize=262144,noauto,nobootwait,rw,_netdev    0   0

Latest Windows virtio drivers

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/

Known bugs

- Password will reset when you save the vm unless you re-add it at time of save

Change Log vmMan

###2015.02.24

-fix css formatting on some pages

###2015.02.14-15

-Bug fixes

###2015.02.08

-Add delete xml and image completely

-Fix usb bug on create vm page

-Fix spaces in name on create page

-Fix password

-Combine virtMan and dynamix.kvm.manager plugins

###2015.01.29

-Add VNC password

-reformat javascript

###2015.01.24

-Add boot device change

-Add auto add name space for qemu:commandline

-Misc fixes

###2014.12.28

-Bug fixes and windows vm clock

-Remove spellcheck from textarea

-Add hyperv support for windows machines

-Fix cdrom change sata bus

-remove excess java code and cfg file

-Fix q35 machine type

-Add ability to increase disk capacity

###2014.12.24

-Fix domain.cfg missing error

-Fix no disks domain auto start

###2014.12.23

-Change VNC to ip based for our OSX friends

-Add settings tab with default media and image settings

-Add debug option

###2014.12.21-21a

-expanded usb devices to include bus and device

-Reformat Create VM page

###2014.12.20-20a

-Add temp driver cdrom for windows installs.  It will disapear after vm has shut down

-Add Machine type selection.

-Add usbtab selection under usb devices

-Fix no domains sort error

-Remove Storage Pool tab and all storage pool functions.

-Add web based file trees to Create VM tab to access cdrom, existing images and to create images.

-New vm images will be created based on name of vm in a sub-folder of the same name similar to xenman plugin

-Add file tree for cdrom change for existing vm ie. for switching to driver image for windows virtio drivers

-Remove Device tab

-condense action messages

###2014.12.03

-Change table spacing

###2014.12.01

-Update the plugin to a dynamix compatible version for beta 12 and above

###2014.11.29a

-add snapshot descriptions

-add disk dev name change

-change method of saving xml so will save with snapshots

-remove dominfo and hostinfo page

-change to KVM tab since webvirtmgr is dead

###2014.11.08

add memory and vcpu change to domain info page

add actions to domain info page

add ability to change cdrom media for domain (running or shutdown)

change template cdrom to ide from sata

2014.11.02-02a

fix xml save function

added date and time to snapshots

add domain snapshots create, delete and revert

add managedsave.  Similar to hibernation.

2014.10.31-31b

change "on crash" and "on reboot" to restart in create template.

add refresh after stop

rearrange navbar

combine drives and cdroms

defaults to vnc mouse/usb tablet

reformat create template for easier use

add cdrom sectionin dominfo page

2014.10.30-30a

fix a couple create bugs

add USB tablet selection

add 9p sharing to passthrough unRAID shares to vm's (won't work with windows till someone creates a pci driver)

add domain info network information

2014.10.27-28

add full featured VNC novnc

add create functions: driver cd, usb passthrough

create vm template now functional

add xml view while domain is running

disable create button till finished

2014.10.19-19a

remove edit from running domains

add storage pool functions

removed include, added autostart

custom css, confirm delete, various bugs and enabled del vol, view xml

removed all modals and fixed css

initial commit

All feedback is welcome as well as any feature requests.

Screenshots

vmMan-Screenshot.png

vmMan-Screenshot2.png

vmMan-Screenshot3.png

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. My goal is to add all the missing features of webvirtmgr and and the useful ones too. And emulate virt-manager to provide a full featured manager. Webvirtmgr runs as a python script web server on a port and while I made the plugin, the program is maintained by someone else. This is all me and runs in unRAID's emhttp.  But the virtMan plg is still needed.

I attempted to edit a VM with VM Manager. It said the changes were successful but upon a reboot the changes were not saved. Is there a specific way to edit VM's? i.e. Do I need to uncheck "auto" before making changes or something like that?

I assume you have virtMan installed too? Check is just for auto start our not. Can you confirm that the settings are saved before reboot. Re-edit. Was the vm running?

Edit.  I'll hide the edit button when the vm is running. I thought that may be the case.

Hi dmacias, great work! Amazing how i can now see all the pci devices using your new GUI.

Just a quick question. I have my VM and .isos in an ssd mounted outside of the array. Does it matter or they must be placed in cache? Also, where does vmmgr install and how can uninstall it (not using the remove button)?

Hi dmacias, great work! Amazing how i can now see all the pci devices using your new GUI.

Just a quick question. I have my VM and .isos in an ssd mounted outside of the array. Does it matter or they must be placed in cache? Also, where does vmmgr install and how can uninstall it (not using the remove button)?

Outside the array is fine. That's where I have mine. It's installed in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/vmMan. And there is a folder on the flash drive /config/plugins/vmMan  It's not a program or anything that's running.  It's just a php/html interface. You can uninstall it under the plugin tab. Just remove Virtual Machine Manager.

Hi dmacias,

Just to let you know, unisntalling vmmgr is working for me but then i am not able to install it back again. This is not happening with virtman.

Also, it would be nice that vmmgr would appear in "settings" same as virtman. But maybe you did it so for some reason.

Any idea how to install vmmgr back?

Rgds.

Hi dmacias,

Just to let you know, unisntalling vmmgr is working for me but then i am not able to install it back again. This is not happening with virtman.

Also, it would be nice that vmmgr would appear in "settings" same as virtman. But maybe you did it so for some reason.

Any idea how to install vmmgr back?

Rgds.

Just follow the directions in the first post to reinstall. Paste the url into install plugins section.  You do have to refresh your browser for it to show up after install. It's not under settings because it's not really a settings page. Its more like docker or plugins page.

Have you tried restarting your server?

Yes, I restarted the server. I followed al the steps dmacias posted. And still vmmgr is not showing up.

I will go for a clean install of my unraid...I guess it will be easier.

Thx anyway.

Do you have virtMan installed?  VMs tab won't show up unless libvirt is running. Or "/etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt start" will start libvirt but vm's won't be persistent without virtMan or you can load your xml files on every boot.

Do you have virtMan installed?  VMs tab won't show up unless libvirt is running. Or "/etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt start" will start libvirt but vm's won't be persistent without virtMan or you can load your xml files on every boot.

I did a clean re-install and checked what you just mentioned: vmmgr won´t show up if libvirt is not running. Now up and working. Can´t wait to keep on playing with it  :D

Keep getting this error while creating a VM

Message:  internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2014-10-20T20:54:27.932239Z qemu-system-x86_64: -drive file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/,if=none,id=drive-ide0-1-0,readonly=on,format=raw: could not open disk image /var/lib/libvirt/images/: Could not refresh total sector count: Invalid argument

I checked /var/lib/libvirt/images and the image is there, but in the storages area the image does not have an extension.

I used the option of creating the image rather than selecting an existing image.

Keep getting this error while creating a VM

Message:  internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2014-10-20T20:54:27.932239Z qemu-system-x86_64: -drive file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/,if=none,id=drive-ide0-1-0,readonly=on,format=raw: could not open disk image /var/lib/libvirt/images/: Could not refresh total sector count: Invalid argument

I checked /var/lib/libvirt/images and the image is there, but in the storages area the image does not have an extension.

I used the option of creating the image rather than selecting an existing image.

I guess I should have left that tab out. Or disabled the button. But it does say "NOT WORKING YET" :) It's gonna take a little bit to get that working.

• trurl unpinned this topic