Upgraded to 6.2, Now Server Name is All Caps on Mac

cardo

• 2 months later...

I have three unRAID servers, all running 6.2.4 and they all display in CAPS on my MAC, doesn't bother me though, never looked for a solution.

I understand that it isn't necessarily a big deal, but prior to 6.2 it displayed how I had it named in the unRAID configuration and now it doesn't. It's an annoyance to me.

Well, here's what mine look like. Lapulapu is running unRAID 6.3.0rc5, Mandaue and Northolt are running 6.2.4. I have AFP shares enabled on all of them. Go figure!

If I enable AFP, it displays correctly, but the SMB share still is in all caps. :(

Samba is actually 'borrowed' networking scheme and is actually controlled by Microsoft and all small letters are stripped to CAPS (internally) for computer names and file names.  (They can be  displayed with small letters but that is a bit of smoke and mirrors.  (Try naming one file Sam and another file sam on a windows computer and you will get a complaint. Occasionally, some will name one share on their unRAID server Media and then inadvertently create a second share named media.  Windows computers will only display one of the two shares and it often appears that hundreds of files have just vanished!)  Both UNIX and Linux honor capitalization (Sam and sam are two different files on both) and I have ever quite figured out how Samba resolves this issue.  So be aware of it...

When folks are having network issues, I usually caution them to name all Computers on the Samba/SMB network with capital letters to prevent this thing from being an issue. 

FWIW, I had to reboot the server I call Lapulapu and now the case of its SMB name has changed. I don't think there's any consistency to it. Maybe I ought to reboot Northolt too. As a Mac user that is surely irritating but take comfort from the fact that it's a "Windows thing" and that the AFP names are consistently correct. :^)

Network.png.e862f52ca8f9b6a6177ca52e6db38c23.png

• 1 month later...