Permissions on disk2

mimwdv

So I've had this problem since immediately after I upgraded from 4.7 to 5.x, and more recently to 6.  Currently running 6.1.9.

My disk2 had a weird permission error (all other disks are fine).  I've tried running New Permissions a couple of times, and it doesn't help.

If I try to access anything on that disk I get a permission error from Windows.

My Plex server doesn't seem to see any files on that disk either.

BUT if I go to the web interface and go to disk2/TV/whatever I can reach the files just fine (and copy them off by "downloading" via my browser).

How can I fix this?  I've searched the forums, as well as looked through the settings in the web interface, and also searched through the syslog for anything disk2 related but I can't find anywhere that that disk is any different to the others.

Thanks for your help!

media-diagnostics-20170118-1634.zip

Did you go to 'Shares'  >>>  'Disk Shares'  and click on 'disk2'.  Then 'SMB Security Settings' turn on 'Export'.  (By default, exporting of disk shares has been turned off because issues with copying files between Disk shares and User shares can cause data loss!)

In fact, I recommend not turning on disk shares and just using user shares. That default setting is there for a very good reason.

Thanks for the responses (even if they're contradictory!)  I took a look, and my options are Export (mine is yes) and Security (mine is public). 

Any further thoughts from anyone would be welcomed! 

I'm seriously thinking about emptying disk2 and keeping it empty, although moving 2TB off it via a browser is going to be more than painful. 

Is there some way I can get that data off more efficiently?

Thanks Frank, I'll look that up and use it to copy everything over to a new drive.  Hopefully I won't have the same permissions error with that.  It'll be way better than using a browser to move them one by one!

I'll leave disk2 empty permanently unless anyone else has ideas on how I can fix the original problem.

OK, I think I found the problem - It's similar to what WannabeMKII is dealing with http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=55718.0 although my cause must be different.

When I do an ls at the command line at the console:

files under /mnt/disk2 are: -rwx------ root root

folders under /mnt/disk2/ are drwx--x--x root root

files under /mnt/disk1 are: -rw-rw-rw- nobody users

folders under /mnt/disk1 are: drwxrwxrwx nobody users

So my question now is how do I change those ownderships and/or permissions?  Happy to do it via command line, but my linux isn't good enough to work out the command and syntax.

I'm the only user of my system so I'm happy enough to just leave everything open.

thanks,

Miriam

OK, I managed to fix it, so I thought I'd post here in case it helps someone else (and so I can refer back if I ever need to).  Turns out that disk2 has problems (and searching the forum I discovered that it's the same disk that I had problems with back in 2011!)

Anyway, my new permissions weren't working because the disk was set to "read only" because of disk problems.  Once I got into the console to see what was happening, after a reboot chmod would run for a bit and then suddenly stop working with "read only" errors.

What I did:

- copied everything I could to disk5 using cp command as root at the console

- ran reiserfsck via the unraid GUI and followed its instructions

- ended up with a bunch of stuff in lost+found (haven't dealt with that yet)

- ran cp command again to make sure I got everything I could over to disk5

- ran chmod to change the permissions on disk5 (set them all to chmod 777, at least for now, I know it's risky but I'm the only user)

- reformatted disk2 to xfs

- the weird thing is the SMART data for disk2 was initially showing it had problems - after reformatting to xfs it says it's fine  :o  I thought SMART was HW only???

- I've excluded disk2 from all my shares for now until I'm sure the disk is OK - and will probably replace it, even if its smart data says it's OK

I'm now moving my other data around so I can reformat all my disks to xfs.  I don't know if/how much of my problems were reiser filesystem related but I'm not taking chances.

Next task will be reading up on permissions and ownership and set them all sensibly - they're all over the shop at the moment, even on my other disks.