OpenELEC VM Template Support

jonp

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unsure if proper place to add this, but unable to start the newly created OpenElec VM.

Attempting to start using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560TI and get the following "VM Creation Error" when I click Create.

internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem:

2015-09-01T02:11:03.171941Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: error, group 1 is not viable, please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.

2015-09-01T02:11:03.171963Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: failed to get group 1

2015-09-01T02:11:03.171970Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: Device initialization failed

2015-09-01T02:11:03.171977Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: Device 'vfio-pci' could not be initialized

2015-08-31_19-13-02.jpg

Unsure if proper place to add this, but unable to start the newly created OpenElec VM.

Attempting to start using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560TI and get the following "VM Creation Error" when I click Create.

internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem:

2015-09-01T02:11:03.171941Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: error, group 1 is not viable, please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.

2015-09-01T02:11:03.171963Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: failed to get group 1

2015-09-01T02:11:03.171970Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: Device initialization failed

2015-09-01T02:11:03.171977Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: Device 'vfio-pci' could not be initialized

2015-08-31_19-13-02.jpg

Can you go to Tools -> System Devices and copy / paste the IOMMU groups displayed there into the forum here?

Can you go to Tools -> System Devices and copy / paste the IOMMU groups displayed there into the forum here?

IOMMU Groups

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/0/devices/0000:00:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:00:01.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:00:01.1

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:01:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:02:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:02:00.1

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/2/devices/0000:00:14.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:00:16.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:00:16.3

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/4/devices/0000:00:19.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:00:1a.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/6/devices/0000:00:1b.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/7/devices/0000:00:1c.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/8/devices/0000:00:1c.1

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1c.3

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/10/devices/0000:00:1c.5

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/11/devices/0000:00:1c.6

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/12/devices/0000:00:1c.7

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/13/devices/0000:00:1d.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/14/devices/0000:00:1f.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/14/devices/0000:00:1f.2

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/14/devices/0000:00:1f.3

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/14/devices/0000:00:1f.6

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/15/devices/0000:04:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/16/devices/0000:05:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/17/devices/0000:06:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/17/devices/0000:07:03.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/18/devices/0000:08:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/19/devices/0000:09:00.0

OMMU Groups

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/0/devices/0000:00:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:00:01.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:00:01.1

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:01:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:02:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:02:00.1

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/2/devices/0000:00:14.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:00:16.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:00:16.3

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/4/devices/0000:00:19.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:00:1a.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/6/devices/0000:00:1b.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/7/devices/0000:00:1c.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/8/devices/0000:00:1c.1

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1c.3

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/10/devices/0000:00:1c.5

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/11/devices/0000:00:1c.6

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/12/devices/0000:00:1c.7

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/13/devices/0000:00:1d.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/14/devices/0000:00:1f.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/14/devices/0000:00:1f.2

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/14/devices/0000:00:1f.3

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/14/devices/0000:00:1f.6

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/15/devices/0000:04:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/16/devices/0000:05:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/17/devices/0000:06:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/17/devices/0000:07:03.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/18/devices/0000:08:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/19/devices/0000:09:00.0

Ok, what is device 01:00.0?  Look at PCI Devices at the top of that Tools -> System Devices page, and let me know which device that is.  It's in the same IOMMU group as your graphics card.  This can be overcome by turning on the PCI ACS Override setting from the Settings -> VM Manager page (you will need to reboot your system after applying this change).

That would avoid you needing the ACS Override setting.

OK, well I did both of those things...(before I saw this 2nd reply), I moved one of the SAS Cards up one PCI-E slot and also enabled the ACS Override... The VM Appears to now have been successfully created (now I need to find the writeup on what to do with it now and how to setup Kodi  :))....

Should I disable the ACS Override Setting?

Kodi.TV has a lot of good info on how to use it.  You can also control the VM with a mobile app.

Thanks for you help getting the OpenElec VM started... I guess I still don't get the Kodi part... I can't seem to remote or access the OpenElec VM in any way to make any configuration changes, add my video shares, etc.    I guess I need to keep reading, but it seems uber complex with not very good docs on setting up, or doing something with the VM or the app, but maybe I'm just "slow"...

-W

Kodi.TV has a lot of good info on how to use it.  You can also control the VM with a mobile app.

Thanks... I guess I still don't get the Kodi part... I can't seem to remote or access the OpenElec VM in any way to make any configuration changes, add my video shares, etc.

Did you assign a USB device such as a keyboard or mouse?  If not, to control the VM, you will need to consider using a mobile app such as Kore (for Android) or Official Kodi App (iOS).  Using the app, you can connect to your VM and turn your smart phone or tablet into a remote.

To add your media library to Kodi, you will follow the same process as using Kodi in general.  http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_management'>http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_management

The wiki on kodi.wiki is pretty darn solid, but their is a learning curve in exchange for all the features and customization available.

I guess I need to keep reading, but it seems uber complex with not very good docs on setting up, or doing something with the VM or the app, but maybe I'm just "slow"...

-W

First time setup on Kodi may be daunting for some, but for most, it's a fairly straightforward process.  The docs are very solid if you look here:  http://kodi.wiki/

I'll be adding more to our own wiki and working up a video on first time setup with OpenELEC to help folks, so if you're looking for more of a guided walkthrough, maybe it's best to wait for that.  Proficient Kodi users should have no problem getting up and going, because once the monitor lights up, the rest of the setup process for Kodi is identical to running it on a regular system.  Just add your media library over SMB the same way you would with a physical Kodi setup and you're off to the races!

Did you assign a USB device such as a keyboard or mouse?  If not, to control the VM, you will need to consider using a mobile app such as Kore (for Android) or Official Kodi App (iOS).  Using the app, you can connect to your VM and turn your smart phone or tablet into a remote.

To add your media library to Kodi, you will follow the same process as using Kodi in general.  http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_management

The wiki on kodi.wiki is pretty darn solid, but their is a learning curve in exchange for all the features and customization available.

No USB devices, and I tried using Kore App on my Android device and it's not finding any media center on my network even though the VM is running and I can see the "OpenELEC" has been assigned an IP address on my router.  Attempted a manual config to that IP but no clue on Username/PW and it didn't connect either, so I'm likely missing something obvious.

I tried to SSH from into that IP with no luck...

Maybe I just need to wait... I didn't get the whole Docker and VM's thing for a while either, now more or less "get those", so maybe this will eventually "hit me" also.

-W

To add your media library to Kodi, you will follow the same process as using Kodi in general.  http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_management

No USB devices, and I tried using Kore App on my Android device and it's not finding any media center on my network even though the VM is running and I can see the "OpenELEC" has been assigned an IP address on my router.

You sure your Android device is connected to the same router (over Wifi)?  I can confirm in a test tonight that this works for me with a fresh setup and the Kore app just fine.  I didn't have to enter a username or password at all.  Just let the app search the network, it found the VM no problem.

I tried to SSH from into that IP with no luck...

SSH access has to be enabled from within the guest if you desire that, but I don't see any reason to use SSH with OpenELEC (maybe someone smarter than I can enlighten me as to the benefit).

Maybe I just need to wait... I didn't get the whole Docker and VM's thing for a while either, now more or less "get those", so maybe this will eventually "hit me" also.

-W

If you have a share on unRAID with media files on it, you could literally be watching them in < 30 seconds.  You have something funky going on with your network setup that's not letting the Kore app talk to the system.  You could just pass through a mouse to get the initial setup done if you want to experiment.  The quick and dirty way to add a media library is to go to Video -> Files -> Add Videos -> Browse -> Windows network (SMB) -> Workgroup -> YOUR SERVER NAME HERE (e.g. Tower) -> YOUR MEDIA SHARE NAME HERE (e.g. Movies, TV Shows, etc.) -> OK -> OK -> This directory contains: set to (Movies) -> Toggle additional options to your needs -> OK -> Yes.

You sure your Android device is connected to the same router (over Wifi)?  I can confirm in a test tonight that this works for me with a fresh setup and the Kore app just fine.  I didn't have to enter a username or password at all.  Just let the app search the network, it found the VM no problem.

Most certainly sure, yes... have no issues connecting to my Plex Docker on my Media server from the same Android device(s) and my unRAID console via the browser, etc, I just removed the entire new VM, re-setup everything and no change,  so I think time to call it a night and look at it again in the morning.

-W

Most certainly sure, yes... have no issues connecting to my Plex Docker on my Media server from the same Android device(s) and my unRAID console via the browser, etc, I just removed the entire new VM, re-setup everything and no change, doesn't even appear to be getting an IP Address now from my Router, so I think time to call it a night and look at it again in the morning.

-W

I bet it's your default network bridge. Goto settings -> network settings and see if the network bridge is enabled.  If not, stop the array and enable it.  Once enabled, go to Settings -> VM Manager and make sure that the default bridge is set to br0 and not virbr0.

Remove the existing OpenELEC from the VMs tab, then add a new OpenELEC VM and it will have this new bridge enabled by default. This will ensure you VM gets an IP on the network and is accessible by the Kore app.

Most certainly sure, yes... have no issues connecting to my Plex Docker on my Media server from the same Android device(s) and my unRAID console via the browser, etc, I just removed the entire new VM, re-setup everything and no change, doesn't even appear to be getting an IP Address now from my Router, so I think time to call it a night and look at it again in the morning.

-W

I bet it's your default network bridge. Goto settings -> network settings and see if the network bridge is enabled.  If not, stop the array and enable it.  Once enabled, go to Settings -> VM Manager and make sure that the default bridge is set to br0 and not virbr0.

Remove the existing OpenELEC from the VMs tab, then add a new OpenELEC VM and it will have this new bridge enabled by default. This will ensure you VM gets an IP on the network and is accessible by the Kore app.

I've been using a "br1" (which is what I changed the br0 bridge name too in my network settings) bridge that I setup previously when playing with Win10 VM, not using virbr0.  It's getting a 192.168.1.xx IP address from my router that I can ping and see on my primary network just fine.

This might be a dumb question, but If I physically plug a monitor into the GPU should I be seeing "something" on that monitor when the VM is running?  I'm getting absolutely nothing... I've passed through a USB KB and Mouse and nada.

-W

I'm been using a "br1" (which is what I changed the bridge name too in my network settings) bridge that I setup previously when playing with Win10 VM, not using virbr0.  It's getting a 192.168.1.xx IP address from my router that I can ping and see on my primary network just fine.

This might be a dumb question, but If I physically plug a monitor into the GPU should I be seeing "something" on that monitor when the VM is running?  I'm getting absolutely nothing...

Yes you should.  If you have nothing on the display, that means your not successfully assigning the GPU yet.  There are steps in the wiki relating to GPU pass through that you can try.  I know we have had issues with the GTX 550 in the past, so the 560 may share a similar fate. It is a rather older GPU.  Some things you can try are in the wiki though.  If you have another GPU laying around, I'd give that a shot.

-W

I'm been using a "br1" (which is what I changed the bridge name too in my network settings) bridge that I setup previously when playing with Win10 VM, not using virbr0.  It's getting a 192.168.1.xx IP address from my router that I can ping and see on my primary network just fine.

This might be a dumb question, but If I physically plug a monitor into the GPU should I be seeing "something" on that monitor when the VM is running?  I'm getting absolutely nothing...

Yes you should.  If you have nothing on the display, that means your not successfully assigning the GPU yet.  There are steps in the wiki relating to GPU pass through that you can try.  I know we have had issues with the GTX 550 in the past, so the 560 may share a similar fate. It is a rather older GPU.  Some things you can try are in the wiki though.  If you have another GPU laying around, I'd give that a shot.

I think this was the least old of the old GPU's that I had in my "surplus" box but I will try one of the others.

OK, I found a Radeon HD5570 (which is probably a little older than the 560ti still), but re-created the VM with the new GPU, then seeing the video passthrough to the connected monitor.  I still had to click next for all of the default settings with the USB Keyboard on the server before the Kore would connect, but once I did, Kore on my Android tablet then saw the server and connected as I expected it too and am now browsing and adding my shares.

Sorry for blowing up your Template support thread!  Thanks for your help and patience!

OK, I found a Radeon HD5570 (which is probably a little older than the 560ti still), but re-created the VM with the new GPU, then seeing the video passthrough to the connected monitor.  I still had to click next for all of the default settings with the USB Keyboard on the server before the Kore would connect, but once I did, Kore on my Android tablet then saw the server and connected as I expected it too and am now browsing and adding my shares.

Sorry for blowing up your Template support thread!  Thanks for your help and patience!

Blowing it up?  Not at all!  You are the first person to use it for what it's actually meant!  Glad it's working for you but its still weird that you had to click through using a USB device before you use the Kore app.  Still not sure why that was the case, but either way, if its working, its working.

Blowing it up?  Not at all!  You are the first person to use it for what it's actually meant!  Glad it's working for you but its still weird that you had to click through using a USB device before you use the Kore app.  Still not sure why that was the case, but either way, if its working, its working.

I get the feeling that part of the guide should include using a USB device for control during initial set up. Either a remote or a keyboard... having set up OE several times from scratch I stuck a keyboard on the VM for first boot.

That said, I have an issue the option to wait for network in OE doesn't work on the VM. Since I use a MySQL central server if the network isn't up before the program loads it will not load my Movies/TV tabs.

I get the feeling that part of the guide should include using a USB device for control during initial set up.

Well, in the wiki I do make mention:  Select any USB Devices you wish to use with the VM (such as a keyboard, mouse, or infrared receiver)

That said, I have an issue the option to wait for network in OE doesn't work on the VM.

Can you further explain what you mean here?  I'm not understanding.

Since I use a MySQL central server if the network isn't up before the program loads it will not load my Movies/TV tabs.

So are you saying you want OpenELEC to hold in the boot process until it acquires an IP address?  Is that the net of your request?  If so, that should be a relatively simple adjustment.