VDisk larger than HDD

RedXon

Hello

I am currently planing to install (again) Windows Server 2012 R2 (or 2016) Essentials as a VM in unRAID.

There are a few things that I'm not sure about and have not found any information. And some of my clients would have to be reinstalled fresh, because some upgrade errors and missing group policy and stuff (and aparently this can only be fixed by a fresh installation). Anyways, I want to figure stuff out, before I go through the hassle of reinstalling my clients.

So, as I want to use that Server almost exclusively for backuping my windows clients (including file history) I would need pretty much space on it.

So I would make a small VDisk for the System, and move the shared folders for file history and backup to another one.

One problem tough: the backup VDisk can obviously not be on the SSD, as that is too small.

Is it possible to somehow split one VDisk into more than one file, so that I effectively could have a VDisk of 8TB for instance, altough none of my Disks has 8TB free? Or has the VDisk to fit into the available free space of one single disk?

If so, is there any way to distribute the space for the VM Server over my disks? Because I like to have a lot of space for the client backups.

Is it possible to somehow split one VDisk into more than one file, so that I effectively could have a VDisk of 8TB for instance, altough none of my Disks has 8TB free? Or has the VDisk to fit into the available free space of one single disk?

Not as fare as I know, you can create multiple vdisks and then use windows storage spaces to make them JBOD.

Oh thanks, that should work.

I didn't actually think of that solution, but I guess that would work fine without too much performance or any other disadvantages.

So, if I were to create a couple of VDisks and put them in a share, I guess cache no and all disks would be the best option.

Now when I put lets say for example 4 1TB VDisks in that share, unRAID automaticly distributes them on all the disks that have enough space, right?