Silly little question on Libreelec & Sleep

theGrok

Well at the risk of being laughed at, I must ask this question. I added a discrete GPU to my system to run a Lbreelec VM. Obviously because of the GPU, my power consumption went up. Since I don't use the VM a majority of the time, is there a way to make it sleep so that power to the GPU is cut off and I use less energy and not have it running 24/7, or is this impossible with VMs?  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

You can use the built in KODI functions for this, but be warned that if your GPU doesnt like "soft" resets (that is rebooting the VM, not the entire system) it may not work right.

My Plex Media Player VM, for example, is set to never turn off because if I reboot the VM the GPU doesnt work and the VM crashes.

Well at the risk of being laughed at, I must ask this question. I added a discrete GPU to my system to run a Lbreelec VM. Obviously because of the GPU, my power consumption went up. Since I don't use the VM a majority of the time, is there a way to make it sleep so that power to the GPU is cut off and I use less energy and not have it running 24/7, or is this impossible with VMs?  Thanks.

I would just have the VM hibernate or shutdown not sleep. You can use wake on lan to wake it up. Someone made a plugin fur that. I have several openelec boxes and have them all shutdown. Then wake on lan when needed. They are NUCs with SSDs so they start up fairly quick. I would imagine the VM would start quickly as well.

I have a similar problem. My server is set to enter S3 mode after a time of inactivity and every time it wakes up, my LibreElec VM is unresponsive. Is there a way to automatically hibernate (or shut down) the VM before the sleep mode and wake it up automatically after the server receives the WOL command?