All VMs can't boot with PCI Devices attached

Hi,

3 days ago i rebooted my system and from that moment all my VMs started acting weird.

They dont start at all when a PCI device is in the configuration (USB controller, PCI GPU, Intergrated Audio Card).

If i start the any VM without any PCI device in the configuration and with VNC it works like a charm.

There are no errors in the log.

2017-02-07 08:11:00.791+0000: starting up libvirt version: 2.4.0, qemu version: 2.7.0, hostname: Tower
LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name 'guest=Windows 10 n,debug-threads=on' -S -object 'secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-2-Windows 10 n/master-key.aes' -machine pc-i440fx-2.7,accel=kvm,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_vapic,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vendor_id=none -m 24576 -realtime mlock=off -smp 8,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=2 -uuid 3d948a60-c575-1ce6-3fdf-9f17f422fe96 -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev 'socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-2-Windows 10 n/monitor.sock,server,nowait' -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=localtime -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device nec-usb-xhci,id=usb,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7 -device ahci,id=sata0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5 -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6 -drive file=/dev/sdc,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-sata0-0-2,cache=writeback -device idio-pci,host=00:1b.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9 -msg timestamp=on
Domain id=2 is tainted: high-privileges
Domain id=2 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
2017-02-07T08:18:34.215810Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 23552
2017-02-07 08:18:34.816+0000: shutting down, reason=destroyed

I attach all logs and ascreenshot.

Im on 6.3.0

Thanks In advance.

System_Devices.txt

VNC.PNG.9856b5bc3294769e892ac055a03d85ad.PNG

System_Log.txt

XML.txt.txt

I should have mentioned that i tried the following steps before i post my problem.

1) Created 2 new VMs from scratch (i have a pass-through SSD for Windows 10) so it was one of the first things i tried.

2) Tried both OVMF and Seabios in the configurations.

3) Played with the PCI Settings in the M/B BIOS.

4) Resseted all my M/B BIOS settings to Default.

5) Upgraded the BIOS firmware of my M/B.

The thing is that im not sure that i had this issue prior upgrading to 6.3.0.

I would like to highlight some other users experiencing about the same problems with their VMs

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=55818.15

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=56249.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=56551.0

Other problems from upgrading to 6.3.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=56233.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=56263.0

Should we take any actions prior to upgrading our systems in order to avoid such issues?

Thanks again

have you tried just the usb passthrough only first to rule out gpu related issues?

tried changing machine from i440fx to q35?

Hi and thanks for the reply,

Yes I have tried all possible combinations.

No PCI devices

Only GPU

Only USB controller

Only Audio card

The only time the VM actually boots is when no PCI devices are attached in the confirmation and it's set on VNC.

Yes I tried both i440fx and q35 plus changed the versions just in case that could resolve the problem.

Thanks again

Hi once again,

Since I'm the only one who actually tries to solve this problem and i want to help others to solve it (temporarilly) I'll post my findings.

After being fed up with the whole situation, i tried to downgrade from 6.3.2 to the most stable 6.2.4.

That solved all my problems regarding the VMs.

Downgrading to a previous version is easy.

0. Stop the array and Shutdown your Unraid server.

1. Plug the Unraid USB Flash drive to a spare PC.

2. Download the Unraid 6.2.4 version from this link https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.2.4-x86_64.zip

3. Extract the zip file

4. Copy and replace the files bzimage and bzroot to the Unraid USB Flash drive

5. Remove the Unraid USB Flash drive from the PC

6. Plug it back to your server and boot as you normally do

This way you preserve all the configuration and downgrade to the stable version that suits you.

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

There is a possibility that all your VMs might get deleted or disappear.

Backup your img files or copy your VMs XML in order to be safe if such thing happens.

I'm still waiting for an OFFICIAL proper solution, one that i will be able to be up to date with the latest Unraid release AND have everything working properly.

After all this is an OS for which I paid 90$ and Im not actually happy with how i've been handled after-sales wise.

Thanks in advance

Hi once again,

Since I'm the only one who actually tries to solve this problem and i want to help others to solve it (temporarilly) I'll post my findings.

Thank for posting your findings.

Also, thanks for completely discounting myself and the other 2 folks who interacted with you. You clearly have a unique issue, one which the users of the forum have not been able to figure out in the KVM section. Perhaps if you posted in the appropriate 6.3.0, 6.3.1, or 6.3.2 release threads, since that appears to be the root of your problem, you might have garnered the attention you desire.

Best of luck to you in the future.

Hi once again,

Thank for posting your findings.

Also, thanks for completely discounting myself and the other 2 folks who interacted with you. You clearly have a unique issue, one which the users of the forum have not been able to figure out in the KVM section. Perhaps if you posted in the appropriate 6.3.0, 6.3.1, or 6.3.2 release threads, since that appears to be the root of your problem, you might have garnered the attention you desire.

Best of luck to you in the future.

Hi,

I didn't want to be disrespectful to you or to anyone who offered their help.

I misspoken and i seemed rude and offensive.

Im sorry for that.

I'm just frustrated with the situation cause i did exactly what the creators said.

Firstly i created this topic.

Then i waited.

Then i wrote to the helpdesk.

Then i posted my link to the topic.

Then i waited.

I got attention by replying to my own topic in order to put it back in the first page.

Anyways all I'm trying to say is Thanks to you and to anyone that helped.

But i didn't receive any type of -non automatic reply- interest/relpy through email regarding my problem from the creators.

Also i didn't think of posting it in a different thread cause its a VM issue.

My bad.

Again thanks and sorry.

I get you're frustrated. I would be too. But seeing some of the errors that have occurred with vm's has caused me to wait a little longer before I update to 6.2.3 since I need to have a scheduled downtime incase anything occurs. Unfortunately you've rolled back to 6.2.4. The thing to have done would be staying on 6.3.2 and posting the diagnostics you posted here into the 6.2.3 release thread. Since the LT folks are looking for any other bugs, and specifically request that info there, that is/was your best chance at getting their attention and getting the people who know unRaid best to assist.

I get you're frustrated. I would be too. But seeing some of the errors that have occurred with vm's has caused me to wait a little longer before I update to 6.2.3 since I need to have a scheduled downtime incase anything occurs. Unfortunately you've rolled back to 6.2.4. The thing to have done would be staying on 6.3.2 and posting the diagnostics you posted here into the 6.2.3 release thread. Since the LT folks are looking for any other bugs, and specifically request that info there, that is/was your best chance at getting their attention and getting the people who know unRaid best to assist.

Thanks for directing me to the correct thread.

I'm already on 6.3.2 and I'll post everything there.

The thing is that it's not at all clear where should someone with such issues post his/her issues, given the fact that it's not easy to find the mentioned thread.

Plus who would have known that a New version release thread is also the place you post your problems/issues/bugs. Maybe I missed sth. Idk.

On the other hand I paid 90$ for this OS and I'm close to a month now that I'm having issues that I can't solve and even after contacting support I got no answer.

Anyways thanks for being understanding.

I'll try my best to help the community in any way that I can.

Sincerest apologies for our lack of official reply here. We are indeed investigating this issue. So far we have been unable to recreate it. I will probably need offer you a free troubleshooting session with us to try and figure out what is going on.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 8:35 PM, jonp said:

Sincerest apologies for our lack of official reply here. We are indeed investigating this issue. So far we have been unable to recreate it. I will probably need offer you a free troubleshooting session with us to try and figure out what is going on.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I rolled back at 6.3.2 and left my VM on for about an hour.
When i got back i found it to try to boot to Windows but stuck.
In Unraid the state was "Paused" and I'm unable to resume it.
I force quit the VM.

The problem still exists and im experimenting with a lot of things to try and find a solution.
If the offer for a free troubleshooting session still stands please let me know when we can schedule it.

Thanks in advance.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:26 AM, manosioa said:

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I rolled back at 6.3.2 and left my VM on for about an hour.
When i got back i found it to try to boot to Windows but stuck.
In Unraid the state was "Paused" and I'm unable to resume it.
I force quit the VM.

The problem still exists and im experimenting with a lot of things to try and find a solution.
If the offer for a free troubleshooting session still stands please let me know when we can schedule it.

Thanks in advance.

Offer stands.  Just sent you a PM with a code.  Please use that to schedule the session and we'll get this figured out.