***OFFICIAL GUIDE*** Restoring your Docker Applications in a New Image File

jonp

All,

Should you wish to recreate your Docker virtual disk image from scratch, but retain your application data to avoid requiring reconfiguration for certain apps, the process is simple.

Step 1:  Delete your previous image file

• Login to your system from the unRAID webGui (http://tower or http://tower.local from Mac by default).
  • Navigate to the Docker tab.
  • Stop the Docker service if it is not already.
  • Click the checkbox next to the Docker image that says Delete Image File.
  • Click the Delete button after clicking the checkbox to delete the image (this may take some time depending on the size of your image).
  • After the file has been deleted, you can simply re-enable the Docker service and the image will be created in the same storage location with the same name.

dockerguide-delete.png

Step 2:  Redownloading your applications

• With the Docker service restarted, click Add Container.
  • From the Template drop down, select one of your previously downloaded applications from the top of the list under User defined templates.
  • If none of your volume mappings or port mappings have changed, you can click create immediately to start the download process.
  • Repeat this process for each application you wish to re-download.
  • Toggle the Autostart for each application after it downloads (only if desired).

dockerguide-usertemplates.png

Step 3:  There is no step 3...

Seriously...  What, you expected more steps?  Nope!  You're done!

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

I built my only docker through the CLI with the invaluable help of Sparklyballs and added in beta10 with gfjardim dockerpage. This docker is very important to me and I hate to lose it.

Did you do a docker commit and docker push to a repository? If not, then you need to do that. You also need to add the docker through the ui so you create a my-templatefor it.

Otherwise you will have to redo all the steps again.

I built my only docker through the CLI with the invaluable help of Sparklyballs and added in beta10 with gfjardim dockerpage. This docker is very important to me and I hate to lose it.

Did you do a docker commit and docker push to a repository? If not, then you need to do that. You also need to add the docker through the ui so you create a my-templatefor it.

Thos steps are all mumbo-jumbo to me. When I click add container I see a my-template entry though. How do I do this committing and pushing? My docker page is attached.

docker.jpg.0f9ab07028c663073b148dc8a705369f.jpg

I assume your customized docker container is the none:none?

If so, you need to signup for an account to the docker hub registry so you can store your container up there. Then once youre signed up, you need to commit and push your changes to the account and registry you setup. Then you can sagely readd your docker container using your new registry.

The other option is you will have to manually recreate that custom docker from scratch.

This is all beyond the scope of this thread. I suggest you create a new thread asking how to push your custom docker into docker hub registry.

Thos steps are all mumbo-jumbo to me. When I click add container I see a my-template entry though. How do I do this committing and pushing? My docker page is attached.

are you talking about asset-upnp ?

Yes Sparkly.

Yes Sparkly.

Then you're already using sparkly's repository, as shown in your screenshot.

You should be good.

Yes Sparkly.

You should be good.

Really?

Sigh or relief

funny-quotes-9.jpg.e148416fdbafab3ecf37176462db04f6.jpg

Yes Sparkly.

You should be good.

Really?

Sigh or relief

You can always NOT delete your previous image and just create a new one under a new name to test.

I made a backup of the image first.

After I deleted the docker.img and followed the steps to recreate the image I got a Command failed error.

The image name should be sparklyballs/asset-upnp:latest I believe.

I got this name from the testserver where I have the same docker installed.

Hmm, the quotes around the volume mappings is probably what's causing the problem, but need to double check.  I will get back to you on this later today as this is an important scenario that isn't covered in this guide.

After I deleted the docker.img and followed the steps to recreate the image I got a Command failed error.

I'm not 100% certain but i don't think you should be adding :latest to import an image, it probably can't find it.

I'm not 100% certain but i don't think you should be adding :latest to import an image, it probably can't find it.

I think that's probably what's happening. Just try it with sparklyballs/asset-upnp and leave off the :latest.

The screenshot you are showing just means that the docker command wasn't used correctly in some way.

Sparkly, can you tell me the exact steps that you instructed dikkiedirk to do to create the container to begin with?  I need to test.

Sparkly, can you tell me the exact steps that you instructed dikkiedirk to do to create the container to begin with?  I need to test.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37592.0

I created a new docker image and re-installed all my docker programs into it. However, there is a persistent problem I have been unable to solve. Under templates, there is a list of user created templates, but there are no other templates, even though I have gfjardm's repo saved under templates. Nothing. Any idea how to make those templates magically appear?

I hope you can solve this guys. dutch-mode: het gaat boven mijn pet : end dutchmode. goes above my head/hat. Beyond my capabilities. I surely didn't add this :latest. Don't know where this crept in. I followed sparklyballs instructions to the letter.

I added the container like described here in unraid 6 beta 10a:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37592.msg348364#msg348364

I used this name:

sparklyballs/asset-upnp

Somewhere in the process :latest is added to the image-name, like shown in the picture.

This worked in unraid 6 beta10a, but no more in unraid 6beta14.

Maybe it is a bug, it is beyond my capabilities on how to solve this.

asset_docker.jpg.664214b2f2cf4ea8fc3edddcfdbbbde0.jpg

Latestis the version tag. This is needed to allow for proper use of dockers. This way the containers can be versioned just like the applications they run.

It should work under beta14. I readded all of my docker co tainers under b14 without issue.

If I have time, I'll see if I can add that particular docker you're using.