LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Moderator note: madburg started this way back in May of 2011, and deserves an enormous amount of credit and appreciation, from many users (both unRAID users and others from around the web).  Fireball3 has picked it up and is maintaining it now, and also deserves much credit and appreciation.  But it has now grown to over 74 pages, and as the flash files and tools and instructions have been upgraded over time, it has become hard to find the latest info for particular situations and hardware.  So a wiki page has been created, to compile all the best info into one place.  It is still a work in progress, but is now usable.  We can't promise however that all of the latest info is in it yet, so a search of this thread may still be important.  (madburg, if this note bothers you, feel free to remove it, or edit as you wish)

Wiki page compilation of this thread (work in progress):  Crossflashing Controllers

Many people are looking for alternatives to HAVING to use the supermicro controllers. Not that there isn’t anything wrong with them. But having more options than 1 controller is always welcome.

Also it seems no one has successfully been able to pass-through the supermicro controllers in ESXi which for some is a big thing.

There are faster performing cards (channels, etc.) as well as 6Gb/s out there that can be obtained for less or about the same money as the supermicro's. USED in most cases or pulls from brand new servers, or just Froogle shopping.

There are various skill sets in the unRAID community so I am putting this post together to help those who require an easy method of being able to flash FIRMWARE & BIOs for popular LSI Controllers. Whether they are onboard (motherboard) or external LSI or rebadged LSI controllers.

I have compiled the zip files to contain at least:

1) Original Manufacturer Product Brief PDF for each LSI IO Controller chipset

2) All original Readme files which came with the manufactures Firmware Download

3) Batch files to first “LIST” what controllers were found and details about them

4) Batch files to secondly backup your current controllers Firmware & Bios

5) Batch files to Flash to Initator-Target (IT) mode AND/OR back to Integrated RAID (IR) mode

These batch files have been setup to Flash rebadged version of LSI controllers as well.

This is based on you performing these flashes from a Windows 32bit or 64bit OS. You will notice there is 2 batch file for each stage based on the platform you are running.

I decided to remove the dependence of using “choice.exe” to create a single batch file to do all the stages as I saw issues with the x64 version of “choice.exe” as well as various OS’s in the mix. I could definitely create a script to do all this but currently do not have the time and not everyone would be able to follow it, so the batch files make it very clear to all.

*** Disclaimer – You are doing this at your own risk by performing a flash on a controller ***

This is done all day long by many people in the world, but sometimes cards are bad or are going bad, you lose power, etc… Please keep this in mind.

Best practices are:

1) Put the pc you are inserting your LSI controller into on a UPS

2) Don’t boot off a drive that is connected to the controller you will be flashing

Not that it is not to say you have to follow this best practice, I flashed all of my (2-IBM BR10i, 1-LSI 9211-8i, 1-onboard SAS2008, 1-LSISAS2116) without having them on UPS, and one of them was booted off the controller I was flashing. But something to definitely keep in mind and aware of.

I am adding some place holder while I put the rest of the Post together below. Comments/suggestions/QA is appreciated. Please add your card if it worked for you.

I found the following excerpt on ServeTheHome.com and could not say it better myself:

It is a well known practice that many vendors re-brand LSI RAID cards and host bus adapters (HBAs) using different firmware and re-sell them as their own. Oftentimes, re-branded cards are less expensive to acquire than their LSI counterparts making re-brands highly desirable.

It is also well known that using the initiator-target (IT) firmware mode is a great way to give up the RAID features of the cards, treating the cards instead as simple HBAs in IT mode. In turn, this allows operating systems that handle parity calculations to directly access the drives, thereby reducing the rate of TLER dropouts from RAID arrays among other things.

I am not too crazy about the fileswap provider I found to hold these zip files so if someone could recommend another service I will move them.

Note: All updates must be done with Admin prevledges (watch out for UAC level in Vista/W7/W2K8/W2K8R2 OS's)

Once you have flashed your conroller card to IT mode, I recommend you change the "Boot Support" to "Disabled" via the LSI BIOS settings (CTRL-C). This will not offer any drive to be bootable to the system bios, posts must quicker and lets unRAID have sole control over the drives, which is what we want.

05eiE.jpg

Additional Note: If you receive a "Failed to initialize PAL" message while trying to flash a LSI controller card, it is most likely due to your motherboard having limited Option ROM. You will need to find another motherboard to use to flash the controller card. This has been the only reported issue thus far.

Complements of Zeron’s find: http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle15807.aspx and http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle16266.aspx

Another read from the LSI KnowledgeBase "Using drives >2TB in capacity with LSI SAS HBAs":http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle16399.aspx

• Thanks 1

LSI SAS1068E chipset

1) LSI SAS 3081-R

2) IBM BR10i

3) Intel SASUC8I

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI SAS1068E chipset with the provided zip

FW:1.32.00.00, BIOS 6.34.00.00 / 20-DEC-10 (LSI P20)

Both IT/IR mode available

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P20).zip - 3.8 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P20)Linux.zip - 4.5 MB (unRAID)

FW:1.33.00.00, BIOS 6.36.00.00 / 22-AUG-11 (LSI P21)

Both IT/IR mode available

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P21).rar - 1.46 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P21)Linux.rar - 2.02 MB (unRAID)

Linux Driver: MPTSAS - supports the LSI SAS1064, SAS1064A, SAS1064E, SAS1066, SAS1068, SAS1068E, and SAS1078 chipsets. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Added as of 5.0Beta6a

Drive Spin Down Support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

3TB Drive Support with this card: Will only offer 2.2TB out of 3TB (UPDATE: even though 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support, this card does NOT support 3TB drives, it only sees and uses 2.2TB from a 3TB drive)

*** Note: Multiple controllers all post under one MPTSAS Bios, there are global setting that affect all controllers and individual settings per controller available ***

• Like 1

LSI SAS2004 chipset

1) LSI SAS9211-4i

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI SAS2004 chipset with the provided zip.

FW: 10.00.02.00 / BIOS: 7.19.00.00 / 15-JUN-11 (LSI P10)

Both IT/IR mode available.

LSI SAS2004 Controllers(P10).zip - 2.32 MB (Windows)

After you expand the zip file, please read the file "__ReadMeFirst.txt" before doing anything!

LSI SAS2004 Controllers(P10)Linux.zip - 3.16 MB (unRAID)

FW: 11.00.00.00 / BIOS: 7.21.00.00 / 22-AUG-11 (LSI P11)

LSI SAS2004 Controllers(P11).rar - 1.94 MB (Windows)

After you expand the zip file, please read the file "__ReadMeFirst.txt" before doing anything!

LSI SAS2004 Controllers(P11)Linux.rar - 2.88 MB (unRAID)

Linux Driver: MPT2SAS - supports the LSI SAS2004, SAS2008, SAS2108, SAS2116, SAS2208, and SAS2308 chipsets. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

*** Note: Multiple controllers all post under one MPT2SAS Bios, there are global setting that affect all controllers and individual settings per controller available ***

LSI SAS2008 chipset

1) LSI SAS9211-8i

2) SuperMicro X8SI6-F with onboard SAS2008 controller

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip.

LSI SAS2008 Controllers(P10).zip - 2.59 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS2008 Controllers(P10)Linux.zip - 3.43 MB (unRAID)

LSI SAS2008 Controllers(P11).rar - 2.21 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS2008 Controllers(P11)Linux.rar - 3.16 MB (unRAID)

Linux Driver: MPT2SAS - supports the LSI SAS2004, SAS2008, SAS2108, SAS2116, SAS2208, and SAS2308 chipsets. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

*** Note: Multiple controllers all post under one MPT2SAS Bios, there are global setting that affect all controllers and individual settings per controller available ***

*** Note: If combined with any other MPT2SAS Controller/s (ex. (1) LSI SAS2116 and (1) LSI SAS2008 they post under one MPT2SAS BIOs ***

LSI SAS2116 chipset

1) LSI SAS9201-16i

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI SAS2116 chipset with the provided zip.

Only IT mode available.

LSI SAS2116 Controllers(P10).zip - 2.28 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS2116 Controllers(P10)Linux.zip - 3.12 MB (unRAID)

Only IT mode available.

LSI SAS2116 Controllers(P11).rar - 1.97 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS2116 Controllers(P11)Linux.rar - 2.91 MB (unRAID)

unRAID Support: Added as of 5.0beta6a

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB support)

*** Note: If combined with any other MPT2SAS Controller/s (ex. (1) LSI SAS9201-16i and (1) LSI SAS9211-8i they post under one MPT2SAS BIOs ***

LSI SAS2 Series Flash via ESXi 5.0

Package includes ALL files to flash via ESX 5.0:

1) LSI SAS2004

1) LSI SAS2008

1) LSI SAS2116

LSI P10

LSI SAS2series Controllers(P10)ESX5.rar - 2.61 MB (ESXi5.0)

LSI P11

LSI SAS2series Controllers(P11)ESX5.rar - 2.4 MB (ESXi5.0)

After you expand the zipped file, please read the file "_ReadMeFirst.txt" before doing anything!

Note: Not for beginners

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015

2) Intel RS2WC080

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip.

20.10.1-0037 (APP-2.120.54-1235) / 15-APR-11

Only iMR mode available.

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB (Windows)

Linux Driver: megaraid_sas - supports the LSI SAS1078, SAS1078 GEN2, SAS1079 GEN2, SAS0073 and SAS0071 chipsets. Though is is an old version indeed. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Driver not included at this point.

Drive Spin Down support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Update: Convert your LSI MegaRAID controller card with LSI SAS2008 chipset to a Plain SAS2008 controller card (IT or IR mode), will look and feel like a LSI SAS9211-8i, and will be ready to use with unRAID (BIG THANKS to KKM for creating the empty.bin, so you dont need to have to worry about which sbr to obtain and use.)

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015 (tested successfully)

2) Intel RS2WC080  (tested successfully)

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008 with the provided zip.

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

Please read the __READMEFIRST.txt file so you are clear as to all the steps and why it is important not to skip any steps.

Converting it follows all details in the post above for the LSI SAS2008 chipset (firmware release, support, etc.)

• Thanks 1

Wow...looks great...thanks for the hard work!

I will try and test it with my IBM M1015 (LSI2008, rebranded 9240-8i), which I couldn't get to be flashed to IT mode.

..tried an earlier version of sas2flash and it rejected the cards.

This is based on you performing these flashes from a Windows 32bit or 64bit OS. You will notice there is 2 batch file for each stage based on the platform you are running.

....Windoze?... :P

Is there a DOS version of sas2flash or will the x86 version provided just work under DOS?

If it has to be windows...do you recommend to install the card AFTER installing windows first and/or run without win-drivers loaded?

regards,

Ford

Wow...looks great...thanks for the hard work!

I will try and test it with my IBM M1015 (LSI2008, rebranded 9240-8i), which I couldn't get to be flashed to IT mode.

..tried an earlier version of sas2flash and it rejected the cards.

....Windoze?... :P

Is there a DOS version of sas2flash or will the x86 version provided just work under DOS?

If it has to be windows...do you recommend to install the card AFTER installing windows first and/or run without win-drivers loaded?

regards,

Ford

I believe (pretty sure) they are DOS compatible, so you could give it a shot. Nope just checked you would have to download the DOS version of the file, swapout and change the batch file code.

Most people would have a harder time find DOS to make this happen, I assumed that everyone here could quickly load 2000, XP, W7, etc… I personal load W2K8R2 faster and smaller than W7 when I dont have a box with an OS and/or PCI-E slot around. I always had the card already in when adding the OS. MS already has drivers for ALL of them (MS – LSI compatibility is very good), but I know for a fact you could add the card later, the OS will just add the drivers and ask you to reboot.

85% of the flashes I did were just dropped the card into a PC at work that already had an OS and flashed.  You are done in a few minutes.

Shutdown PC, add card, boot up, copied zip from USB stick to local, I don’t like running these types of things off USB as if there is a hiccup bye bye controller. Run all 3 stages (you can skip to stage 3 if you don’t care about 1 & 2), shutdown, remove card, and its ready for your end destination unRAID box.

LSI SAS2008

...OK, I tested (under Windoze  ::) with my IBM ServeRAID M1015 (LSI SAS2008, re-branded/custom version of 9240-8i)

• the sas2flash utility from your zip is version 7, although it should be version 9, yes?...at least you did supply the original docs of P9 with your zip
  • sas2flash v7 did not recognise my IBM card (step 1 "LIST")...downloaded v9 from LSI...same result

...looks like my M1015 is still a no go  :'(

LSI SAS2008

...OK, I tested (under Windoze  ::) with my IBM ServeRAID M1015 (LSI SAS2008, re-branded/custom version of 9240-8i)

• the sas2flash utility from your zip is version 7, although it should be version 9, yes?...at least you did supply the original docs of P9 with your zip
  • sas2flash v7 did not recognise my IBM card (step 1 "LIST")...downloaded v9 from LSI...same result

Sure you had to get a MegaRAID card involved  ::) I added it for you, please go slow and test each stage, let me know, stop if you are not sure of anything. Personally i do not believe this is a good canidate card for unraid.

I forgot to meantion but hopefully you saw, I did not find any commandline available to backup the FW/Bios, just backup the controllers configuration! please be aware of this...

LSI SAS2008

Not for your situation, but you cannot use v9 of sas2flash it will not allow rebadged cards to be flashed, its in my notes with the zip. v7 with "-o" command added WORKIE WORKIE  ;D

• Upvote 1

I downloaded the latest file and it will now identify the M1015 card but will not flash it.  Current fw version on the card is 4.20.00 Build date Nov 19 2010. FW package: 20.10.1-0020 I did not see the IT file in the latest download.

thanks.

I downloaded the latest file and it will now identify the M1015 card but will not flash it.  Current fw version on the card is 4.20.00 Build date Nov 19 2010. FW package: 20.10.1-0020 I did not see the IT file in the latest download.

thanks.

I need your help with specifics to iron this one out (as I do not have one of these cards).

1) You have a IBM M1015 correct?

2) You downloaded the "LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB" zip file correct?

3) What OS were you booted into? and architecture of the OS 32bit or 64bit? (ex. Windows XP 32 bit)

4) Did you first run one of the "1_ListAdaptors_xXX.bat" batch files? If so could you post or PM me the 4 txt files it should have exported (AdaptersInfo1.txt, AdaptersInfo2.txt, AdaptersInfo3.txt, AdaptersTime-Date.txt)

5) Did you run one of the second batch files "2_Backup_Controller_Configuration_xXX.bat", did it export out a "Controller.cfg" file containing the controllers configuration in it (should not

6) For the third stage batch file ("3_Flash_to_latest_IR_mode_xXX.bat) the IBM M1015 is a RAID only card and there is no IT mode firmware, can you post or PM me what message you received and if it exported out a "Flashlog.txt" file, if so could you post or PM me that file

I forgot to meantion but hopefully you saw, I did not find any commandline available to backup the FW/Bios, just backup the controllers configuration! please be aware of this...

Sure you had to get a MegaRAID card involved  ::)

Yes, I declare myself guilty ;D

I added it for you, please go slow and test each stage, let me know, stop if you are not sure of anything.

Thanks...but this is the standard IR mode FW, right?

AFAIK unRAID does not come with the megaraid_sas kernel modules...

If not for IT mode at least your ZIP with latest FW and scripts comes in handy...  8) thanks!

I've updated the IBM cards with FW from LSI before...worked without props...

Personally i do not believe this is a good canidate card for unraid.

...the cards are working well under other linux OS with all drives in JBOD (since the latest FW from Dec2010, all non configured disks will

automagically be set as JBOD and I haven't seen one drop out as it happened with older FWs.

The cards have enough beef to serve drives for unRAID, even with IR FW, i think.

...it's the lack of drivers and maybe smartctl support that prevent them from being a good candidate for unRAID but thats not the cards fault  ;)

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015 (being testing by member)

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB

Linux Driver: unknown, testing by member

Spin down support & drive temps: unknow, testing by member

...I was only able to flash my card after adding the "-NoVerChk" option, like this:

MegaCli_x64.exe -adpfwflash -f imr_fw.rom -NoSigChk -NoVerChk -a0 -ApplogFile Flashlog.txt

My FW before flash was 20.10.1-0020.

I did flash under Win7_x64...had to install the LSI Drivers for Win7 first.

Sure you had to get a MegaRAID card involved  ::)

Yes, I declare myself guilty ;D

I added it for you, please go slow and test each stage, let me know, stop if you are not sure of anything.

Thanks...but this is the standard IR mode FW, right?

AFAIK unRAID does not come with the megaraid_sas kernel modules...

If not for IT mode at least your ZIP with latest FW and scripts comes in handy...  8) thanks!

I've updated the IBM cards with FW from LSI before...worked without props...

Personally i do not believe this is a good canidate card for unraid.

...the cards are working well under other linux OS with all drives in JBOD (since the latest FW from Dec2010, all non configured disks will

automagically be set as JBOD and I haven't seen one drop out as it happened with older FWs.

The cards have enough beef to serve drives for unRAID, even with IR FW, i think.

...it's the lack of drivers and maybe smartctl support that prevent them from being a good candidate for unRAID but thats not the cards fault  ;)

I updated the post to reflect NO megaraid_sas at this time. That is correct this card only has iMR Firmware available. (I dont make firmware  :D). The card is a good card, chipset, etc... its just not a HBA, I added more notes in the first post as to why (see blue excerpt). The biggest thing for you right now is no driver in unRaid for it to be able to test and see how you like it... sorry but that will have to be a request with LimeTech.

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015 (being testing by member)

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB

Linux Driver: unknown, testing by member

Spin down support & drive temps: unknow, testing by member

...I was only able to flash my card after adding the "-NoVerChk" option, like this:

MegaCli_x64.exe -adpfwflash -f imr_fw.rom -NoSigChk -NoVerChk -a0 -ApplogFile Flashlog.txt

My FW before flash was 20.10.1-0020.

I did flash under Win7_x64...hit ad to install the LSI Drivers for Win7 first.

Thanks, I saw the switch but did not seem safe to apply (better off having less & have someone like you check first :)), so Thank you for testing and confirming, I will add it soon and re-zip.

But before i do, did all the other batch files work? and export files out for historic sake?

But before i do, did all the other batch files work? and export files out for historic sake?

..steps 1 (list) and step 3 (flash) worked.

Step 1 produced the appropriate output...tested with 1 card only (sorry my Win7 MoBo only has 1x PCI-E-x4+)

Step 2 (save config) did not work...complained about a bad parameter....but I didn't care because my cards were unconfigured spares.

..steps 1 (list) and step 3 (flash) worked.

Step 1 produced the appropriate output...tested with 1 card only (sorry my Win7 MoBo only has 1x PCI-E-x4+)

Step 2 (save config) did not work...complained about a bad parameter....but I didn't care because my cards were unconfigured spares.

I have updated the zip now.

Would you mind going through all three stages again (So I know this is done completely and help others).

Changes are as followed Stage 2, it turns out you must specify what controller # you wish to back up the ALL switch is not supported and the N is a place holder for # you must input. I defaulted it to Zero but the batch file will prompt you to check stage 1's output file to see what controller was issued what #. In a one card system this should always be Zero (the default I put in).

Changed Stage 3 to Flash ALL MegaRAID SAS2008 controller in one shot that it finds. Again the batch will prompt if that is not what you wish change it. So j5428  / Ford Perfect would end up reflashing to the same firmware you are already at now.

Talk about no doc's for the MegaCLi, and -help sucks as well....

I take it these controllers that are reported as "Drive Spin Down support: NO" should be avoided?

I found one card:

LSI MEGARAID 8PT SAS/SATA 6GB/S PCIE RAID MRSAS9240-8I/SGL

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/lsi-megaraid-8pt-sas-sata-6gb-s-pcie-raid-mrsas9240-8i-sgl

But according to the Data Sheet from LSI, it uses the SAS2008 controller "LSISAS2008 controller – PowerPC 440 @ 533MH" which you have found does not support drive spin downs :(

http://www.lsi.com/DistributionSystem/AssetDocument/MR_SAS9240-8i_PB_120709.pdf

also as this is a LSI branded controller, does that mean it does not need to have its bios flashed? (Apologies if I am being ultra dense here :P)

Edit: noticed megaraid_sas drivers are not available yet with unRaid; nevermind :)

I have updated the zip now.

Would you mind going through all three stages again (So I know this is done completely and help others).

...sure, will do....need to find some time...probably not earlier than this weekend, if you don't mind...

I know how it is myself  ;) thanks for pitching in for all!