Can't access unRAID server from 1 PC on network

I got my girlfriend a new laptop for Christmas....typing on it right now.  I'm getting it all setup for her, but for some reason I cannot access unRAID on it.  I can get to the web interface in a web browser; unMENU is no problem either.  But any attempt to access \\Server (I changed the name on mine) from Explorer is met with an error.  I've tried both wireless and wired.  I've tried typing in the IP address directly as well...same result.

I've searched and read through various threads and have tried all the suggestions, but I just cannot seem to get to my server via this particular laptop.  My laptop works fine both wireless and wired.  My other 2 desktops work fine.  And every other PC I've hooked up temporarily has worked fine.

I have everything on the same workgroup; I named it "HOME".  This laptop can see the other PCs, but it just can't see the unRAID server at all.  I've tried everything I can think of, but I'm not getting anywhere.  I was hoping to have all this worked out before Christmas, but I'm just getting more and more frustrated.  I built my unRAID server back in '08, and this is the first time I've had a PC in my house unable to access it.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 Ultimate on it.

Try \\IP.ADDRESS.OF.SERVER

Tried that.

I've tried typing in the IP address directly as well...same result.

What is the error that explorer gives you? 

Is there any firewall on the laptop... maybe even antivirus? If so try disabling it & seeing if you still get an error.

Error code is 0x80004005

Unspecified error

I tried before ever installing AV.  I now have MS Security Essentials installed.  I've tried disabling it.

I also tried disabling the firewall...no luck.

I can ping the server fine.

Two Questions:  First, are you using Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer?  Second, are you trying to get to the Standard WEB GUI or are you trying to browse the shares?  If it is the latter, try this:

Go to  'Control Panel', 'Network and Sharing Center'.

Under the "View your active networks", click on blue link under 'Network'

Pick the "Home or Work" as the current setting.

Go back to the 'Network and Sharing Center' screen and click on "Change Advanced Sharing Settings'"

Now open up the 'Home or Work' setting and set:

"Turn on Network Discovery" to 'on'

"Allow Windows to Manage Homegroup Connections...."  to 'on'

Reason:  Many laptops may default to "Public" which is extremely restrictive on allowing connections to networks.  But that setting provides the most security when using public networks at coffee shops, McDonald's, etc.

I'm using both Windows Explorer and IE.  I can get to the standard Web GUI with no problems and can even get to unMenu (:8080) just fine.  I'm trying to browse the shares using WE without any luck.

I think I already tried everything you mentioned, but will look again when I get the laptop back in my possession again next week.

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on it myself and selected the "Home" setting during installation.  I've done this on hundreds of PCs/laptops before and have never had this issue.  I've tried both wireless and wired using \\Server and \\192.168.1.129 in WE; both of which work on every other PC on my network.

I'll update once I get the laptop back and double check your suggestions.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!  Keep them coming!

Two Questions:  First, are you using Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer?  Second, are you trying to get to the Standard WEB GUI or are you trying to browse the shares?  If it is the latter, try this:

Go to  'Control Panel', 'Network and Sharing Center'.

Under the "View your active networks", click on blue link under 'Network'

Pick the "Home or Work" as the current setting.

Go back to the 'Network and Sharing Center' screen and click on "Change Advanced Sharing Settings'"

Now open up the 'Home or Work' setting and set:

"Turn on Network Discovery" to 'on'

"Allow Windows to Manage Homegroup Connections...."  to 'on'

Reason:  Many laptops may default to "Public" which is extremely restrictive on allowing connections to networks.  But that setting provides the most security when using public networks at coffee shops, McDonald's, etc.

Got the laptop back and double-checked all these things.  I already had all my settings as you described them.

Control Panel > Credential Manager.

Under Windows Credential's look for 'server' and delete.

then try again.

There wasn't a 'server' listing under windows credentials.  There weren't any credentials listed at all.

Try \\IP.ADDRESS.OF.SERVER

Tried that.

I've tried typing in the IP address directly as well...same result.

What is the error that explorer gives you? 

Is there any firewall on the laptop... maybe even antivirus? If so try disabling it & seeing if you still get an error.

Error code is 0x80004005

Unspecified error

I tried before ever installing AV.  I now have MS Security Essentials installed.  I've tried disabling it.

I also tried disabling the firewall...no luck.

I can ping the server fine.

You may have to uninstall the security software. You should be able to reinstall after he issue is resolved. Try Firefox or chrome.

Have a look at the settings of this computer and compare it to other Win7 computers that are working on your network.  Begin by opening Windows Explorer.  Make sure that you have the left pane open.  Got to 'Network' at the bottom.  Right Click and select 'Properties'. 

Compare the settings that you see.  If everything looks OK, then click on the "See full map"--- That link is at the end of the abbreviated map at the top of the window.  Compare again. 

I know that this is really, really frustrating for you.  But unfortunately, this is the world of Windows Networking.  At times, a single computer will refuse to find a network or will refuse to find a particular computer on that network.  You bang your head against the wall and swear until the air turns blue.  Then suddenly and without any real change to anything it may start to work...  The solution turns out to be more witchcraft than science.

Tempted to try swapping the original HDD back in and see if that OS install can see it.

Also try a USB linux boot drive.

May end up reinstalling Windows as a last resort.

Gotta wait a few days until she brings it back again.

Thanks for all the tips so far!

You may have to uninstall the security software. You should be able to reinstall after he issue is resolved. Try Firefox or chrome.

I can get to the GUI no problem in Firefox.  Trying to get to the shares in Windows Explorer.  Or even see the Server in the Computers listed on my network.  I can see all the other computers on the network and I can ping the server.  So strange.

Just stumbled upon this thread while looking for a solution to my issue.  I seem to be having the same problem.  Desktop (wired) and another laptop (wireless) connect just fine while the third computer, also a laptop (wireless) does not (all windows machines, Vista, 7 , and Win 8 ).  I too can access the web GUI but cant access it through windows network places.  Ran through the same potential fixes provided but they also did not work for me. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

bump.

i am having the same issue. i have unraid hosted in esxi and have multiple other VMs that can access my unraid share but not one that is server2008r2. as with the others i can ping it, i can even launch the conslole with chome/firefox but i cant get to the network share.

i have tried all the suggestions in the thread to no avail.

Archived