Possible NFS problem

After upgrading from rc5 to rc11 I noticed a very strange issue with NFS shares.

Share security mode is 'Public'

I map an unRAID NFS share to a Mede8er MED600x3d media player in order to access my movie collection.

With rc5 everything was OK, i.e. the share was visible in media player and I could see all my movies underneath.

When upgraded to rc11, Mede8er still sees the exported share (e.g. /mnt/user/unraid), but it is empty. In other words there is no content inside the share.

It is very strange since I am able to mount such a share to another Linux machine and see all content.

Nothing strange in syslog.

/etc/exports in rc11:

"/mnt/user/unraid" -async,no_subtree_check,fsid=101 *(rw,insecure,anongid=100,anonuid=99,all_squash)

same in rc5:

/mnt/user/unraid -async,no_subtree_check,fsid=101 *(rw,insecure,anongid=100,anonuid=99,all_squash)

I even removed the "" in rc11and restarted nfsd to no avail.

When media player enters the share I can see same message in syslog for both rc5 and rc11 (no difference):

Feb  3 12:21:57 unraid mountd[4656]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.0.107:716 for /mnt/user/unraid (/mnt/user/unraid)

When the share is working under rc5 I can check what NFS has negotiated in Mede8er:

rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,namlen=255,hard,nolock

Tom, please let me know what changed in NFS implementation between rc5 and rc11. Definitely some change is affecting the player.

Even though that might be a Mede8er problem I need something to start with when I open a ticket with them.

I'd also appreciate any hints how to troubleshoot it, seems like for instance rpcdebug doesn't work as expected. Will Wireshark/tshark be a good starting point?

For now I'm back to rc5.

While this may not appear germane to your situation, I had to power cycle all my Netgear NTV550's (I have three of them) to get them to link up to recognize NFS when I upgraded to rc11.  I never had to do that before when I upgraded.  As a point of info, Samba worked correctly while NFS would not. 

Thank you for the detailed problem description.  There have been a couple minor changes with NFS since -rc5 but nothing that would account for this issue afaik (though obviously something has).  Please copy the attached file to the 'config' directory of your flash and then Stop array and Start array, and then access your share via NFS.  The result should be a number of 'debugging' logging messages in the system log generated by 'user share' file system.  Please capture log and post.  To get rid of the logging, delete or rename the file and Stop/Start the array again.

extra.cfg

Tom, thanks for looking at my problem.

First log is from rc5 where everything works.

2nd one is from rc11 when NFS share shows as empty.

I've been using /mnt/user/backup share in the above tests:

/mnt/user/backup -async,no_subtree_check,fsid=102 *(rw,insecure,anongid=100,anonuid=99,all_squash)

I need to see the entire log for -rc11.  You can send to me if you don't want to post it: [email protected]

I'm having the exact same problem with rc11. I just got the Mede8er X600. I'm reluctant to go all the way back to rc5, so I'll follow this thread closely. I only have problems with high bitrate files, such as Blu-ray 3D.

For Full 3D ISO's I have some stuttering with SMB, but have not seen any issues under NFS. (except the empty folders)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have tested NFS with my Pioneer media player and it is indeed a rc11 issue with NFS, I can see NFS shares but once I click on them they are empty. I reloaded rc10 and NFS and content shows up correctly. I can see this issue being specific to rc11 and thus we should formally treat this one as a bug that needs to be addressed. How do we report this bug?

Yes, I have tested NFS with my Pioneer media player and it is indeed a rc11 issue with NFS, I can see NFS shares but once I click on them they are empty. I reloaded rc10 and NFS and content shows up correctly. I can see this issue being specific to rc11 and thus we should formally treat this one as a bug that needs to be addressed. How do we report this bug?

Yes I'm looking at this.

Sorry, I somehow missed that you already working on it, in the earlier posts, my bad. Looking forward to your updates. Pls let me know if you need any help to test.

Yes I'm looking at this.

Yes, I noticed the same. Another Linux machine doesn't have any problem accessing such unRAID NFS share.

As for mede8er player I haven't seen any details published about their NFS implementation. I know it supports NFS v2 and 3 and possibly 4. It supports TCP as well as UDP protocols.

They blocked telnet/ssh access to the box, so I can't check anything. It is definitely some Linux.

Hope that can help though: http://www.mede8er.org/Firmware_Final/GPL_SOURCE/1186/1186_GPL_source.tar.bz2

Tom --- I have three Netgear NTV550 HD media players and they all exhibit the same problem as described in this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26340.0

It is important to note the last post.  The test bed has far few files on it than the main server and only the main server has the problem.  It is also significant that rc10 (and earlier Betas and rc's) never had the issue.  On the Netgear boxes, I could not find the version of Linux let alone the version of NFS.  However, The last version of the software was released July of 2012 and the previous version was released in August of 2011.  I would imagine that the Linux version (and NFS version) would have been released between those two dates.