New Norco 4224 backplanes don't have 2 power hookups?

SnickySnacks

I purchased a new 4224 and while hooking it up realized that the backplanes only have 1 power connector each, unlike the earlier models which had 2.

I've tried looking into this to see if anyone else has one of these, but I can't find any pictures of any backplanes with anything except 2 power connectors.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

It's not hurting anything since I don't have redundant power supplies, just thought it was odd. The boards are dated 2013 26

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

Looks like they are also Sata4 rated 12Gbs!

Not that the extra power socket was really doing much.

1) If you connected the second socket to second cable to the recommended single rail power supply, you were protecting from cable failure. Have that happen much?

2) If you connected the second socket to another rail, you would raise actually raise the power consumption unless there was circuitry to match voltages across rails. Even the slightest mismatch in rail voltage, and the higher voltage rail would leak power into the power supply via lower voltage rail..

3) If you connected the second socket to a second power supply, see above on a larger scale. I have seen this :)

• 2 years later...