PhreshJive's 8 HotSwap Bay U-NAS NSC-800 Low-Power mITX Silent Virtualized Build

Updated Build:

Hypervisor: ESXI 5.5U1 $0

Case: U-NAS NSC-800 Chassis $225

Screws: Akasa Fine Thread Thumbscrews (AK-CH-S2) $5

PSU: SeaSonic SS-350M1U Power Supply $60

Fans: Noctua NF-S12A PWM Fans x 2 $39

Motherboard: ASRock E3C224D4I-14S $289

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230L v3 25W TDP CPU $269

Heatsink: Noctua NH-L9I $43

RAM: 32GB (Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT2KIT102472BD160B x2) $290

SAS: Onboard LSI 2308 (flashed with IT firmware PH16.0.1-IT)

Storage:

- Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache x 8 $160

- Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series MZ-7TE120BW 120GB SSD x 2 (1 for cache, 1 for ESXI) $135

Graphics Card (for passthrough to Media Player): XFX HD 6670 1GB DDR3 $45

Licenses:

- UnRAID Pro ($75) / Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8 GB ($9)

- PlexPass Lifetime ($75)

TOTAL (without licenses): $1,569

GRAND TOTAL (with licenses): $1,719 USD

Uses: pfSense Router (allowing whole-home VPN) / Ubiquiti UniFi AP Controller, Media Aggregator / Storage / Distribution / Player, AirPrint / Google Print Server, Calibre Server

Power Consumption At Idle: 68.8W (I'll be checking out the power management section; while it has 8 logical processors (vs. 4 with the older build), power consumption seems too high though now powering a separate GPU and using test bench PSU)

Notes on Updated Build:

- Selected ESXI 5.5U1 as it is a supported OS of the motherboard

- Swapped fans to PWM variant for easier cable management and as motherboard has multiple 4-pin headers that can be finely speed controlled through BIOS

- 32GB of memory is the max the motherboard supports

- CPU selected as motherboard has onboard VGA for ESXI and was best price to low W ratio for form factor and Vt-d support

- Motherboard selected as in a form factor that would fit (with some modifications) in case that has onboard SAS controller thereby freeing up PCI-E for passthrough graphics card

Initial Build:

Hypervisor: ESXI 5.1 $0

Case: U-NAS NSC-800 Chassis $225

Screws: Akasa Fine Thread Thumbscrews (AK-CH-S2) $5

PSU:

- SeaSonic SS-350M1U Power Supply $60

- Flex ATX PS to 1U PS Bracket $6

Power Adapter for Motherboard:

- Molex 39-01-2020 Plug & Socket Housing (38C9709) $12

- DROK DC Converter Voltage Regulator 8-32V to 9-46V 12/24V 150W Boost Step Up Power Supply Module $12

Fans: Noctua NF-S12A FLX Fans x 2 $39

Motherboard: Intel DQ77KB $160

CPU: Intel i5-3470T 35W TDP CPU $135

Heatsink: Cooljag Den-B Low Profile Cooling $26

Noctua NH-L9I $43

RAM: Crucial Technology CT102464BF160B 8GB x 2 $120

SAS:

- SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 Controller $57

- Gino PCI-E 4X Slot Riser Card Extension Flexible Flex Relocate Cable $8

Storage:

- Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache x 8 $160

- Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series MZ-7TE120BW 120GB SSD x 2 (1 for cache, 1 for ESXI) $135

Licenses:

- UnRAID Pro ($75) (built identical system for best friend) / Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8 GB ($9)

- PlexPass Lifetime ($75)

TOTAL (without licenses): $1,186

GRAND TOTAL (with licenses): $1,336 USD

Uses: pfSense Router (allowing whole-home VPN) / Ubiquiti UniFi AP Controller, Media Aggregator / Storage / Distribution, AirPrint / Google Print Server, Calibre Server

Power Consumption At Idle: 39.3 W

Notes on Initial Build:

- Reviews that convinced me to opt for that component

- Wanted a system that could be placed in home theater room, was completely silent, compact, a power miser, and handled all the aforementioned uses

- Running always-on VPN on 99% of consumer grade routers, connection suffers severe bandwidth loss due to weak CPUs

- Latest BIOS / firmware was applied to the motherboard / SSDs

- ESXI 5.1 was chosen as was having PSOD / reboot issues with 5.5 and unRAID

- Ordering case from U-NAS was a pleasant experience.  Had minor LED issue and it was rectified by them shipping out a replacement part. Recommend testing orange activity LED in each bay with a hard drive (for those not starting off with 8 drives) as I had a defective SAS backplane

- VT-d allows for drive spin down and SMART data to be passed to UnRAID in a virtualized environment. Limited number of CPUs (and motherboards) support these instructions. CPU chosen for support, being Socket 1155, most power conservative while having an integrated GPU

- Motherboard selected for Mini ITX form factor, dual Intel Gigabit NICs and mature BIOS; quirk is internal 19V power header (see page 15H), and desire to only have one power cable.  Found Molex connector and step up converter to use one of the 12V lines and convert it up to 19V (came close to 19V from factory - used a multimeter to get it precisely to 19V then applied nail polish to the screw voltage selector)

- Voltage converter affixed to bottom of unit using Velcro

- For cable management, purchased a Molex cable extractor tool to remove any extra connectors on the Seasonic which proved to be excessively difficult and ended up snipping the wires as close to connector as possible.  Re-used two of the extracted cables for the 2 Pin Molex socket housing

- Included fans with the U-NAS are quite silent.  Noctuas probably not a necessity but did so nevertheless

- PSU fan has yet to turn on - it is completely silent

- Applied both fixes listed in ATLAS thread (editing the passthru.map and the unRAID.vmx files) to render the SuperMicro 4x PCI-E SAS card functional under ESXI 5.1

- Riser cable included with the U-NAS is for a 16x PCI-E and the 4x connector on the Intel MB is closed off at the end

- Cutout for end of PCI-E bracket needed to be knocked out from the inside using a hammer and a slotted screwdriver; end of bracket on PCI-E might also need to be Dremelled down slightly.  On first attempt, ended up removing the end piece where the tip of the bracket goes. On second try, it was hammered out (the proper way)

- Choice of physical hard drives was solely based on a ridiculously low drought-style price that was found (and have a 5 year warranty to boot)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris: Build quality is rock solid.  Very impressed with the case.  On the side where you see all the Molex power adapters, I kind of wish there were hooks to attach cable ties through.  Read this review and was convinced that it was perfect for what I wanted to accomplish.  If I had to nitpick. quality control regarding placement of LEDs could be improved in the drive cages as some are slightly brighter then others most likely due to a placement issue.

Burt Jr.: Processor hovers at 55 C.  Memory at 40 C. During a Parity Check, Hard Drives hover at 38 C.  Everything has been stable other then some issues related to my attempt at using an mSATA drive (DO NOT EVEN BOTHER) and an unrelated issue once changing over to two SATA SSDs after patching ESXI 5.1 and having extremely slow parity checks.  Once I re-installed ESXI 5.1 and didn't patch any of the updates, it has been stable. Might try out a Noctua NH L9I instead of a completely passive heat sink as I am very doubtful it will change much from a sound perspective.

As I still have both systems, I checked on the one presently running pfSense and a few of the other VMs.  CPU was running at 66C using the passive cooler without much of a load.  Did not want to see what it would reach once I transcode a few streams with Plex despite the CPU having a maximum operating temperature of 90C.

I placed an order for the Noctua NH-L9i and will report back. 

Wanted to report that with the Noctua CPU heatsink/fan, running the same VMs and using the included Noctua heatsink compound, temperatures now run a full 10 C lower with a negligible difference in sound.  I cannot hear the system when my forced air HVAC system is on. 

I should note that while I am using the low-noise adapters for the rear fans, for the CPU cooler I opted to go without it.

Hi PhreshJive,

Thanks for posting this, it has been extremely helpful.

I'm working on a copycat build right now and I think my shipment from U-NAS may have been missing some parts. It came with nothing except the case itself. No screws, nothing. Were those SSD mounting plates included in your shipment?

I'm also using the same PSU/bracket. Do you have anything supporting the internal end of the PSU, since it doesn't reach the case's built-in risers? Or is just the bracket sufficient?

Thank you!

Can't blame you for buying this 2T drives for $20 a piece. Was this an advertised special or a bit of luck with a particular store?

But have to warm you that 2Tb Seagates do not have a great reputation.

In the recent BackBlaze drive study, one model had a 28% failure rate.

So keep a close eye on their smart reports for sign of failure!

Nice, neat compact build!

garycase: Actually managed to purchase 17 of them. It was quite the ordeal; could say a bit of luck, a bit of knowing the ins and outs of the store's policies and corporate structure. Pretty sure a photo of myself and friend is posted on a dartboard in the employee lounge at a particular location for convincing management to order them for us.  It was a final clearance item (cost in system was close to $80 each) - one was DOA (replaced by Seagate) and another was an open box with a 750GB in it, so factually I got 16 x 2 TB and was scammed out of 1. Not complaining though...  ;D  One of the reasons why I wanted VT-d was to power down the drives when not in use... but considering 5 year warranty, high MTBF, and cost... here is to hoping that UnRAID saves my @ss should the day come!

bjp999: Will watch those SMART values regardless though I should clarify that the Backblaze blog post actually cited a 25.4% failure rate on a Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200 RPM (ST31500341AS) model and a whopping 120% failure rate on the 1.5TB 5900 RPM (ST1500DL003) version of the same drives that I purchased.  Some apparent issue existed overall with the 1.5TB sized drives.  2TB+ were in-line with standard failure rates.

trimalchio: Yes, had the same spacing issue with the PSU.  What I did was I had around some thin pieces of rubber sheets - don't ask me what they were from - but had two different thicknesses and cut two rectangles together to place under the non-supported end.  Didn't want pressure being exerted on the back / plate.  Did the job and I'm sure a thin piece of wood or anything else will do. 

And as far as no screws / missing SSD mounting plates - should have had a small box that had them and all the screws - e-mail [email protected] and Ye should respond who was a pleasure to deal with.  Ended up using just one of the mounting plates and offset the second SSD inwards slightly (once I replaced with the new CPU heatsink/fan) on the first using Velcro (haven't taken updated photos yet) - they don't heat up at all as I didn't have little risers like the reviewer had.

Just want to add another interesting note: I am presently in discussions with ASRock requesting a dollar value in order to crowdfund the creation of a modified version of their E3C224D4I-14S motherboard.  Nothing like it exists in the market and it would be ABSOLUTELY perfect for this UnRAID case/build.  Unfortunately in its present format, the I/O connectors were placed on the longer (8.4") side.  Anyone who looks at the specs for the motherboard and this case should come to the conclusion that if one wanted to silently virtualize (in a very compact low-powered form factor) UnRAID placed a home theater environment (with up to 40/48TB using presently released 5/6TB drives), Plex Server, Plex Home Theatre / XBMC, a pfSense router, and any other VM one could throw at it, the proposed alternative version of that motherboard would be quintessential. Since the ASRock board has an onboard graphics controller, one would be able to select either the 2 Core Xeon E3-1220L v3 (13W TDP) or the 4 Core E3-1230L v3 (25W TDP), both of which support VT-d. 

In my opinion, the chosen Intel motherboard / CPU is the closest to perfection at present for this build but unfortunately the PCI-E slot must be used for the SAS card and no Mini-ITX board has two PCI-E slots to be able to accommodate a SAS card and an ATI graphics card to passthrough to a Plex Home Theatre / XBMC VM.

Will keep everyone posted.

Update: Received a response from ASRock and to re-design the board, they are asking for an absurd $60,000 USD.  I cannot feasibly fathom posting such a project to a crowd sourcing site and receiving the necessary monetary response from users of this and other NAS software forums, AVS, TomsHardware, Tweaktown, HardForum, Overclock, and the rest of the upper echelon of tech enthusiast forums. Went back to the drawing board and have now asked U-NAS whether they would be willing to create a redesigned back plate as it is user replaceable by removing screws holding it in place and some minor Dremelling the standoffs where the PSU and PCI-E card lay thus placing the motherboard on the top of the unit while the PSU and PCI-E card could be housed where the motherboard is now.

Conceptually, the attached diagram (and linked original) should give you an idea of what I am talking about with the SSDs being attached above the PSU or under the motherboard depending on clearance.  Should work out as a low profile bracket (such as the one figured on this ESXI passthrough compatible passively-cooled ATI card) should have a size of 3.118 inches and the Mini-1U PSU that I used has a height of 3.2 inches

RearPlate.jpg.316060b6825fd002edbf4d44d475fb74.jpg

Very nicely done.    By the way, although I don't buy anything but 4TB drives these days, I'd certainly make an exception if I could get 2TB units for $20 !!!    Amazing you got 17 of them at that price ... although I admit I'd buy 17 in a heartbeat if I saw them for that price.