[SOLVED] disk light showing constant disk activity

My morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but it looks like you're running PLEX.

And I don't see a Cache Drive.  Is that correct? 

If so, PLEX constantly queries the user share of movies and shows to see if anything has changed...so that it can update its database.  That would keep one drive spun-up.  Many folks put the PLEX app on the cache drive where its isolated from the array.

It that's not the case, I'll get more coffee and take another look.

I was intrigued by your syslog and dumped out the list of plugins.

upgradepkg --install-new /boot/packages/sqlite-3.7.5-i486-1.txz ... [br]    upgradepkg --install-new /boot/packages/zlib-1.2.5-i486-4.txz ... [br]    dynamix.active.streams has been installed.[br]    dynamix.disk.health has been installed.[br]    dynamix.plugin.control has been installed.[br]    dynamix.system.stats has been installed.[br]    dynamix.web.server has been installed.[br]  * Multi-core par2cmdline-0.4-tbb has been installed[br]  | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix.active.streams-2.1.0-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix.disk.health-2.1.1-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix.plugin.control-2.1.1-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix.system.info-2.1.1-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix.system.stats-2.1.2-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix.system.temp-2.1.0-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix.web.server-2.1.0-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/ssh/putty-0.62-i486-1rj.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/curl-7.21.4-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/freetype-2.4.11-i486-1_slack13.37.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/git-1.7.4.4-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/infozip-6.0-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libidn-1.19-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libjpeg-v8a-i486-2_slack13.37.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libmcrypt-2.5.8-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libpng-1.4.12-i486-1_slack13.37.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libtool-2.4-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libX11-1.4.3-i486-2.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libXau-1.0.6-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libxcb-1.7-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libXdmcp-1.1.0-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libXpm-3.5.9-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/libzip-0.9.3-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/lm_sensors-3.3.4-i486-1_slack13.1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/m4-1.4.16-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/openssh-5.9p1-i486-3_slack13.37.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/openssl-0.9.8y-i486-1_slack13.37.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/openssl-solibs-0.9.8y-i486-1_slack13.37.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/par2cmdline_tbb-0.4-i486-1kh.tgz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/pcre-8.12-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/powerdown-2.06-noarch-unRAID.tgz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/pyopenssl-0.11-i486-1alien.tgz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/python-2.6.6-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/python-cheetah-2.4.4-i486-1alien.tgz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/python-yenc-0.3-i486-1alien.tgz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/sqlite-3.7.5-i486-1.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/t1lib-5.1.2-i486-3_slack13.37.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/unrar-4.2.4-i486-1alien.tgz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/packages/zlib-1.2.5-i486-4.txz[br]  | Installing new package /boot/plugins/dynamix.webGui-2.2.3-i486-1.txz[br]  | Upgrading openssl-0.9.8y-i486-1_slack13.37 package using /boot/packages/openssl-0.9.8r-i486-3.txz[br]

I am running Plex but this has been running for a year or two.  The drives were not doing this until about 2 nights ago.  I was doing a health check on the disks about a week ago which I know uses the smartctl command.  I am not sure if that has anything to do with it and maybe the command is never finishing or if the system is trying to spin down the disks and never finishing or what.

I deleted those in the /boot/config/plugins directory and I did the powerdown command and it rebooted.  Then I noticed the dynamix directory back in there (I deleted it before) so I deleted it again and I found in /boot/plugins, there was a couple of dynamix files so I removed them.  I then attempted to do the powerdown command and it's stuck.  More to follow....

I have rebooted with no dynamix stuff and I moved the plex server from /boot/extra to just /boot so it would not start.  The disk activity is still the same.  I can't bring up the web interface at all.  Looks like the /mnt/user directory is not mounted for whatever reason.  I do see the usb flash drive mounted so I grabbed the syslog after clearing it and booting up and logging in.  I have attached it.  No plugins seem to be running.

syslog.zip

emhttp is getting a segmentation fault when I try to run it manually:

root@media0:/boot/config# /usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

[1] 8923

root@media0:/boot/config#

[1]+  Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /usr/local/sbin/emhttp

A look in syslog shows this:

Jun  4 17:21:19 media0 kernel: emhttp[8909]: segfault at 0 ip 40231760 sp bffce420 error 4 in libc-2.11.1.so[401b8000+15c000]

I went in the /boot/packages directory and removed everything.  I then did a sync and a halt and I can now access the web interface.

A parity check was running and I canceled it. This was most likely due to me issuing a halt.  The web interface is slow still and I still have the constant disk access.  :-\