[HELP] Deluge + Socks5 Proxy

Anyone have Deluge working with a Socks5 proxy (namely PIA)?

There are 4 different areas where you can set a proxy:

Peer

Web Seed

Tracker

DHT

Do all of these need to be configured with socks5 to be completely safe?  I have had some issues with DHT and Tracker...anyone run into the same?

EDIT:

Here is what I am seeing...

Prior to configuring the proxy (all set to none), I was able to add a magnet and it started downloading right away. 

Once it completed, I deleted the torrent and data.

I then configured all 4 areas for use with my PIA socks5 proxy info.

I added the same magnet (again) and it downloaded without issue.

I then tried to add a different magnet and it never starts to download.

When I look at the Status for the torrent that is giving me grief, I see:  demonii.com: Error:

If I catch the torrent just as it is trying to update the tracker, I see this:

Tracker:  udp://open.demonii.com:1337/announce

I thought I read somewhere that socks5 does not play nicely with UDP.  True?  Is it safe to not use a proxy for the Tracker if that is indeed the issue?

interesting!, im running the same setup as you, dockerised version of deluge running with SOCKS5 defined pointing at PIA, i havent noticed any tracker issues before but i probably haven't been paying too much attention so it may of been failing without me noticing.

A quick google of SOCKS5 and UDP brought me to the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOCKS, this line is particularly interesting:-

SOCKS5

The SOCKS5 protocol is defined in RFC 1928. It is an extension of the SOCKS4 protocol; it offers more choices for authentication, and adds support for IPv6 and UDP, the latter of which can be used for DNS lookups.

So on the face of it, it looks like SOCKS5 SHOULD support UDP, whether its safe to expose your real ip to the tracker i wouldnt like to say at this point, I guess another question might be, does PIA support UDP via SOCKS5 proxy? im assuming it does but might be worth checking.

another interesting discussion, looks like your not alone https://code.google.com/p/libtorrent/issues/detail?id=568

...does PIA support UDP via SOCKS5 proxy?

I think that this may be the important piece here.  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about PIA Socks5 proxy not supporting UDP.  I'll see if I can find it.

John

Good stuff John, please update this thread with anything you find out as i am keen to see the outcome of this, as detailed earlier im running the exact same setup as you.

For anybody wondering why im not using vpn its just simply the hassle of setting it all up to tunnel correctly, socks5 is just easy to use and i dont have to worry about what is or isnt going down the tunnel.

I switched to a newer docker, and it seems to be working with proxy, and udp trackers as well..  Switched to binhex/arch-deluge and created a 2nd deluge on the system.  Just can't exactly figure out how to get my old seeds into the new deluge without issues, lol. 

*EDIT*  Was able to move the torrent files from the old state directory in the deluge config directory to the new one, fixed my seeding/downloads.  Also was able to get the windows thin client connected by manually adding the login info I wanted into the auth file, then turning on the allow remote connections checkbox.  That never seemed to work on the nekroze (and I couldn't get it to work in the needo one either).  Very happy camper now, lol.

• 5 months later...

out of curiosity, I am running binhex deluge VPN with airvpn now, but also have a PIA account, never tried to setup sock5 proxy. is it faster than using a full openvpn?? I am on a 175/175 fiber line but can never max out. if it is how do I get it up and which docker should I run and what do I put in the settings

For me i'm on a 50/50 with the the openvpn docker I can get about 2.1 to 2.5 MB seconds (which is almost exactly half of the speed) with the proxy I max out a 6 MB. So yes there is a difference, but this udp bug keeps me for using regularly.

It's probably related to deluge and not the docker image.

my personal take on this is dont use socks proxy, its just not safe enough, this is the main reason i got pushed into the direction of vpn tunnel, its a lot easier to secure using iptables. i had a shock trying to use deluge and socks proxy5, just try changing your username or password in deluge for your proxy provider, yep it just carries on talking over your internet connection instead, it does not block if it cant authenticate, im assuming the same would be if the proxy went down too, not good, i personally dont want to take that risk, no real point paying for a proxy if you cannot guarantee it will be used eh.