making unraid see raid 0 as one disk?

xxredxpandaxx

I just created a raid 0 array with 3x3TB for my parity disk but unraid still sees it as 3 separate disks. I made the array with the motherboard raid option as I only have one pcie slot and its taken up by my m1015. Is there a way to have unraid see this as one disk or should I just add them to the unraid array as is?

ahh well I guess I will just add the disks to my array then, I was hoping to try and get better parity sync speeds as it takes right around 24 hours to do one. Oh well I guess ill do this when its time to upgrade my motherboard. Thanks!

It's unlikely that creating a RAID-0 for your parity drive will help much with your parity sync and parity check speeds.    These speeds are always limited at any given point by the slowest drive currently "involved" in the process.  [i.e. if you have a 2TB drive with a 4TB parity drive; then after the check passes the 2TB point the 2TB drive is no longer involved in the operation.]

Ya but I would like my 8TB drive as a data drive instead of my parity drive. That was the main reason I wan't to do this, I knew I wouldn't get much speed increase but some is better than none when it takes a day to do a parity check.

If you've got an 8TB data drive, then it won't make ANY difference in your parity check speed whether you use another 8TB drive for parity, or a RAID-0 array.    The RAID-0 array would help a bit with multiple simultaneous write operations to the array; but won't have ANY impact on parity check speeds.

Ya but I would like my 8TB drive as a data drive instead of my parity drive. That was the main reason I wan't to do this, I knew I wouldn't get much speed increase but some is better than none when it takes a day to do a parity check.

If you've got an 8TB data drive, then it won't make ANY difference in your parity check speed whether you use another 8TB drive for parity, or a RAID-0 array.    The RAID-0 array would help a bit with multiple simultaneous write operations to the array; but won't have ANY impact on parity check speeds.

i just wanna share my own experience: since i added Raid0 as parity, my write speeds to array are now at full speed of data disk involved, so i can saturate GBit network easy - that is a huge difference compared with single hdd as parity.

i just wanna share my own experience: since i added Raid0 as parity, my write speeds to array are now at full speed of data disk involved, so i can saturate GBit network easy - that is a huge difference compared with single hdd as parity.

There's no way you can write to a protected array at full disk speed UNLESS all of your writes are cached.    Writes to the protected array require FOUR disk I/O's ... two reads and two writes (one of each to the data disk involved and the parity disk).

The ONLY exception to that is in the special case of a system with ONE data disk and a parity disk ... which is handled as a special case by UnRAID, since it's effectively a RAID-1.

Archived