Adaptec ASR-5805 controllers *how to* (applies to most ASR)

Adaptec ASR-5805 controller can be made compatible to work with unRaid using the following instructions. The card supports backplanes such as Supermicro SAS-846EL1.

These instructions should apply to pretty much all ASR controllers (5085, 5405, 5445, 5805xx, 2045, 2405x, etc) since they have the same ACU. However, I only tested it on my ASR-5805Z card.

1. Enter ACU by pressing <Control-A> during Adaptec BIOS messages on boot.

2. Select "Array Configuration Utility".

3. Select "Initialize Drives". For each drive you want accessible by unRaid, select the drive in the left column, hit "Ins" to move to the right column and execute the initialize.

4. Select "Create JBOD". Repeat the process as above 3. This will change each drive to JBOD status, and make it accessible in pass-through mode.

5. Exit ACU

Voila!

PS: Unfortunately, ASR-5805 does not pass the drives temperature to the unRaid. There might be a way, I just haven't found it. It does monitor them internally.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

"Possible" megabump, but hey....

Will this format the drives? I have some drives with data that i want to connect to a 5805 controller, and i really dont want to format them...

Just want them to show up in my linux distro, running software raid 5..

• 7 months later...

I was wondering the same thing. I'm in the process of upgrading my 20 drive array into a 24 drive enclosure with an Adaptec 5805 controller.

The 20 drives in my previous enclosure were driven by 2 x Supermicro SAS controllers (don't have the specific model handy at the moment).

On boot the drives show up on the adaptec controller initialization screen, but then it says "no logical drives found". UNRAID is unable to see any of my drives.

This is 65 TB of data, so reformatting the drives is obviously not an option...