Owncloud sucks caldav, cardav - alternative needed

I am fed up with owncloud as a means to maintain a caldav and cardav server. Nothing but problems since day one that to be fair whilsy I have always managed to fix the issues by finding other people with same issues on internet why should I have needed to.

And then in v8 they out of the blue drop native support and make them addons that wait for it... dont work until some random ssl thing is fixed. And even then you install and the icons have gone MIA.

Life is too short and confidence is lost so I am seriously entertaining the idea of using one of the other setups that have a longer track history and hopefully are of a better quality.

Anyone else int he same boat or can recommend anything?

Well that was depressing. Lovely bit of software in every way except it doesnt support calendar or contact sharing.

There is reference to this being added in the coming 2 branch but as far as I can see thats experimental.

back to the drawing board.

Well that was depressing. Lovely bit of software in every way except it doesnt support calendar or contact sharing.

There is reference to this being added in the coming 2 branch but as far as I can see thats experimental.

back to the drawing board.

well that's a bit silly, sort of defeats the purpose.

Thanks guys. I am amazed this space isnt filled to the brim with projects but it seems that even the most mature of them have problems.

This is one area where it needs to be rock solid as a family maintained contact and calendar server represents a load of work and often unique info. It needs to just work

Having a look at this one now

https://github.com/Kozea/Radicale

I am trying to wrap my head around all the different possibilities of what one can do with a home unRAID server with all these Dockers...

For ages, I have used unRAID as my storage and media acquisition platform. Sab, SB, CP, Plex, etc.

I had never known, nor thought of having a "central" family calendar-contact thing. I am wondering what other nifty things are out there that I have not thought I could do. I try to scan this sub-forum all the time, to "discover" stuff. Some stuff is over my head, like the TFTP/PXE stuff (I get the gist, but not how it can be applicable to my real world use). SmokePing, Quassel (who is on IRC all the time? what am I missing there?)

I have been using ownCloud with calendar, contacts, and picture uploads from smart phones in my business for a long time on unRAID with little to no problems.  I started with a Xen VM then converted to the ownCloud Docker with a MariaDB Docker as the database.  I don't understand why you are having so many problems.

I do know that MySQL is the recommended database for performance reasons.

Here is a real example. I just updated OC to v8 and without warning i now need to learn how to make it work again with addons. So I consult the docs (because it never warned me it would change until after it done the change - genius idea that one... :( and the docs are pretty clear. So I follow them and w00pee still no icons for my users to press for calendars and contacts.

I am sure I can probably make it work or it will be fixed 8.1 which is here now but not ready for auto update but is quality control gone in the app world? Things like calendar and contacts are core and need to just work.

So far as bad as OC quality control is (they broke IOS cal and contact support completely for a couple of versions) it might be the best of a bad bunch

rant over :)

Yes, V8 did have a few challenges with calendar and contacts, but I found it pretty easy to sort out.  Copy the calendar and contacts apps folders to the /var/www/owncloud/apps/ directory and then login as the administrator and enable them in the "Apps" because they are disabled by default.  They will then show up for users and work as expected.

So I have been reading the OC bug trackers and forum and whilst I havent found this bug I found a load more that are fixed in 8.1.

I have still lost confidence in OC but I am prepared to give it another chance using the "devil you know" school of thought :) So rather than manually fix I am going to hold off for 8.1 as an experiment.

The more I look thought the more I think we need to try and keep our community away from bleeding edge and recent OC releases.

I mean how did 8.1. get released with the entire birthday calendar broken ! lol

https://github.com/owncloud/calendar/issues/824

As if to prove my point.

OC 8.1 auto update hasnt turned up. A bit of digging finds they seem to be holding it back until 8.1.1 because guess what they broke calendar and iPhone sync for a load of users.

it doesn't take long to get a bad reputation, but it takes an age to get rid of one.

• 3 months later...

Wonder of wonders I think i have finally found a viable replacement (and its a thing of beauty)

InfCloud is an open source CalDAV/CardDAV web client implementation released under GNU Affero General Public License (version 3.0).

http://www.inf-it.com/open-source/clients/infcloud/

DEMO: http://www.inf-it.com/infcloud/

with backend of:

DAViCal is a server for calendar sharing. It is an implementation of the CalDAV protocol which is designed for storing calendaring resources (in iCalendar format) on a remote shared server.

http://www.davical.org/

anyone any experience of this or a docker (essentially anything that will save duplication of effort)

Edit: https://hub.docker.com/r/janlo/davical/