Cache pool only RAID-1?

saarg

I tried to look around for an answer, but didn't find any, and thought I'd ask before trying.

Is the cache pool only RAID-1 or is it possible to use jbod?

unRAID only supports RAID-1 on the cache drive. 

Whether this is true if you bypass the GUI then I am not sure if this limitation still applies.

You can set up a raid-0 cache pool.  When you click on the 'cache' device after array Started and cache is mounted, scroll down to 'Balance' section and you will see default Balance options are:

-dconvert=raid1 -mconvert=raid1

You can change the 'raid level' by editing these options and click Balance.  For example, to have data raid0 but leave metadata raid1 you could change to:

-dconvert=raid0 -mconvert=raid1

You can monitor syslog to watch balance operation proceed.

Note that, at present, the s/w will "revert" the default balance options back to:

-dconvert=raid1 -mconvert=raid1

That is, we don't store your selection.  Similarly if you add a device to an existing pool it will automatically kick off a balance with the default options.  We plan to address this in a future release, but for now you can experiment with it.

• 3 months later...

I do only know basics about about raid levels, but metadata is a new term for me. Google helped me a little, but not enough to base decision upon it.

If I set up a new raid0 ssd cache, do I want to keep the metadata, or do I want to set -mconvert=raid0 ? What is the difference?