[SOLVED] Unraid 6.12 Unresponsive - smbd processes

I have upgraded unraid to version 6.12 and unraid continues to crash and becomes unresponsive.  With the system crashing all the time, it is really inconveniencing our family and I am concerned about the potential for data loss.  Unraid 5 worked flawlessly, these issues only started once I upgraded to 6.01 and all upgrades up through 6.12.  I love the features and look of Unraid 6 and would love for this to be stable.  My crashes generally happens within 48 hours, but can take as long as 4 days to see a crash.

Attached is my diagnostics, as you will see the syslog does not show anything strange.  However, on every crash I go to the unraid webgui and click the log button...it opens a new browser and writes the log to this window.  So when I get a crash, I telnet to the console, type diagnostics (which is attached) and then I let the crashed unraid sit.  When I do this, additional entries are shown in the log window that never get written to the syslog.  I copied and pasted the text into a file.  Here is a link to that file:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/29szobjfr4fhm2e/unraid%2091115Log%20Information.pdf?dl=0  Look at 9/11/2015 at 12:35pm  ReiserFS error md3  VS-4010 is reusable.

(Sorry for the pdf format, I used teamviewer and a smart phone to capture this, and I could not select and send to a text file...so I had to print to a .pdf)

At this point unraid is completely unresponsive and I am no longer able to telnet to the console, so I manually reboot.  After rebooting, completing parity check, I then stopped array and started in maintenance mode, I ran reiser check on all disks and the all returned no corruptions found.

When the crash starts, the CPU is at 100 (sometimes listed as 200%)...memory is not at 100%, however smbd process keep spawning and eventually it gets to 100% if left long enough. 

For some reason, I am getting a bunch of smbd processes...see attached smbstatus9_11_15.txt file within the attached .zip. 

Motherboard is C2SEE, 2GB RAM, Celeron E1200 CPU.

Any suggestions???  I really need to get this figured out.  I am running the same applications on my windows 7 PC that is connecting to unraid.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

I am hoping this file

For reference below is my old thread...it was marked solved pending upgrade to 6.12 so I am starting a new case per Jonp's request.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41861.0

tower-diagnostics-20150911-0836.zip

puttysession91115.zip

FWIW I think the previous poster might be onto something. I had a similar issue a few months back myself now that I think about it. I had a disk that would pass all checks I threw at it, but unRAID would still crash randomly. It had errors in the log for that drive but then when i checked it myself, there was nothing. I replaced that drive, and everything seemed to work better after that.

So, I ran reiserfsck on all of my disks including the cache drive and I got no corruptions found.  Some more history...which can be found in my old thread.

Disk 3 and Disk 4 in my old thread had pending sectors...not related to the crash issue, however they needed to be replaced for reliability (please note that while these discs were installed I was still having the crashing described in both of my threads).  They were replaced with a single larger disk...which is my current disk 3.  Current disk 3 was precleared 4 times successfully prior to being installed.

Update:  Since upgrading to version 6 of unraid, this is the longest I have gone without a crash...5 days 1 hour and 17 minutes.  I have only changed two things: First...I changed my CPU from a Celeron E1200 to a Q9300.  I made this change because on every previous crash, my CPU usage was at or above 100%...and I had the Q9300 sitting unused in my "PC Parts Bin".  Is it possible that the Celeron E1200 didn't have enough horsepower for unraid 6????  The second change was made 3 days into the uptime after the CPU change...that was on my Windows 7 PC which has the plex server running, I changed the scan interval from hourly to daily.  I don't think the second change has anything to do with the uptime...but wanted to note of the change. 

I guess if I make it to one week of uptime, I will modify my posting to mark it as solved.

Thanks,

Dan

Pickthenimp,

My system is still Reiserfs.  Still no crashes for me.  My uptime is now at 8 days 2 hours and 37 minutes.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  Since I crossed the 7 day threshold, I am going to mark this thread as solved.  It still baffles me, as I never had these issues with unraid 5 with the Celeron E1200.  But at this point I am just happy for the stability I have had for the past week.

Good luck to you!

Dan

• 2 months later...