Request addition of/support for Docker container in Community Applications

Noob

Hey all! I started a help thread elsewhere on the forum and was directed here. I would REALLY like to be able to use Symform's free, unlimited, cloud backup functionality on my UnRAID server. Just recently someone made a docker container for Symform and it can be found here: https://hub.docker.com/r/trautw/docker-symform/

Is this the right place to request addition/support for Symform in the Community Application repo? It was SO darned easy to install Plex and other supported dockers, I would like to see the same for Symform. Maybe this is a selfish request because I'm not good at configuring things from scratch, but I really think the community will benefit from this functionality, too. Actually, both communities because UnRAID servers probably have a lot of space they could donate to the cloud.

Just a thought. If I'm in the wrong place, please redirect me.

Thanks!

I had a look at running this from CA, unfortunately there isn't any documentation, nor any dockerfile visible, and the creator's github page doesn't have a repo corresponding to this.

Running

docker history trautw/docker-symform 

reveals

a03c867c635e        19 months ago       /bin/sh -c dpkg -i Symform.deb                  57.37 MB
a56893bbb839        19 months ago       /bin/sh -c curl -o Symform.deb http://downloa   19.48 MB
7d415519dc28        19 months ago       /bin/sh -c apt-get -y install curl              12.34 MB
42e9b84d07c5        19 months ago       /bin/sh -c apt-get -y update                    20.38 MB
9cd978db300e        22 months ago       /bin/sh -c #(nop) ADD precise.tar.xz in /       204.3 MB
6170bb7b0ad1        22 months ago       /bin/sh -c #(nop) MAINTAINER Tianon Gravi <ad   0 B
511136ea3c5a        2 years ago  

Looking at the github page for Tianon Gravi didn't reveal anything either (other than an impressive collection of dockerfiles for other stuff)

So that leaves two options:

1.  Wait and see if someone cleverer than I can figure this out.

2.  See if someone will create a symform docker container for you (Not just add it to CA, but create a docker)

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I feel a bit dirty like a github stalker now...  :o

Thank you both. I'll keep close tabs on this thread for the next few days.

I am very appreciative of your help.

*Fingers crossed*

Hey Noob,

Haven't forgotten about this. Just been a bit busy with work this week.  Will get to play again on Saturday.

Thanks!

No worries! I appreciate the update. I'm thrashing my test rig at the moment and everything else is looking very promising.

At the very least, having notice that nothing will happen for a few days means that I don't have to keep checking back here every two hours ;p

I'll have a look again sometime Sunday.

Cheers!

Hey noob, just an update.  Install process on ubuntu 14.04 machine.  Works great. Exact same install process on a docker, can't get it to start.  So if you want it up and working now, feel free to install a ubuntu 14.04 VM and install the DPKG, you'll have no issues.

Hey there!

Thanks for the update. That's very interesting. I wonder what keeps the Docker from starting? As I understand Docker, the idea is to replicate all of the dependencies that a program needs inside its own little container, kind of like a tiny limited VM.

I didn't design my setup for running VMs (no cache drive and smaller amount of RAM, for example) so that's not a preferred method, but I might play with it just to see how it goes.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

One clarification: Are you going to troubleshoot the Docker issue going forward, or should I consider the Ubuntu solution as the answer to my Symform request?

Hey there!

Thanks for the update. That's very interesting. I wonder what keeps the Docker from starting? As I understand Docker, the idea is to replicate all of the dependencies that a program needs inside its own little container, kind of like a tiny limited VM.

I didn't design my setup for running VMs (no cache drive and smaller amount of RAM, for example) so that's not a preferred method, but I might play with it just to see how it goes.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

One clarification: Are you going to troubleshoot the Docker issue going forward, or should I consider the Ubuntu solution as the answer to my Symform request?

The problem with the docker container you found is that there are no instructions on how to use it, and no way to find out how it's been configured, in theory you can run it on Unraid but view it as a plane before take off, we've no flight manual and no way of knowing what switches and buttons to press.

In theory you can run just about any container on Unraid, but you need to know how and you need to know that the container actually works.. It may, for all you know, be one mans abandoned attempt at getting it to work, albeit unsuccessfully.

For an idea of "instructions" compare the docker hub page for Plex, one of our containers vs the symform container you found.

Very interesting.

Well, I might have some time to learn about XML files over the holidays so if I can pickup any useful amount of skill during those couple of weeks I'll do what I can to troubleshoot as well.

I am also going to test an Ubuntu VM at that time.

I know I keep saying this, but thank you both, again :)

Very interesting.

Well, I might have some time to learn about XML files over the holidays so if I can pickup any useful amount of skill during those couple of weeks I'll do what I can to troubleshoot as well.

I am also going to test an Ubuntu VM at that time.

I know I keep saying this, but thank you both, again :)

Community Applications does have a feature to help you use "wild" dockers. If you get one working then you can just copy the template XML from your flash.

That's a bummer. I don't know the person who uploaded that container, so it may very well be broken.

At least there is one option for the time-being. Does using an Ubuntu VM on the NAS create any vulnerabilities for my system? If so, how can I mitigate or overcome these risks?

That's a bummer. I don't know the person who uploaded that container, so it may very well be broken.

At least there is one option for the time-being. Does using an Ubuntu VM on the NAS create any vulnerabilities for my system? If so, how can I mitigate or overcome these risks?

No different to having an Ubuntu machine on your LAN really.  Same risks and same precautions to be taken.

Well, this has been a real struggle over here. I've made and destroyed a LOT of VMs over the last week. My server just wasn't designed with this kind of load in mind. I get near 100% RAM usage, plus my disks spinning up for random OS read/writes/updates/etc (because I don't have a cache drive) just so I can run a 40MB program...

I tried installing the VM on a USB flash and running it that way, but the setup took more than a day at USB2.0 speeds and then it ended up telling me that my install was 'broken' when I did sudo apt-get update.

I have several plugins installed that work brilliantly on unRAID, but making a VM just for this one app is not going to be a good solution for my hardware. Had I known, I would have built something else. I'm at a loss.

The docker doesn't work. There isn't a plugin for this app. The VM runs my system hard constantly and, so far, hasn't worked. Any other suggestions that I haven't tried?

Well, this has been a real struggle over here. I've made and destroyed a LOT of VMs over the last week. My server just wasn't designed with this kind of load in mind. I get near 100% RAM usage, plus my disks spinning up for random OS read/writes/updates/etc (because I don't have a cache drive) just so I can run a 40MB program...

I tried installing the VM on a USB flash and running it that way, but the setup took more than a day at USB2.0 speeds and then it ended up telling me that my install was 'broken' when I did sudo apt-get update.

I have several plugins installed that work brilliantly on unRAID, but making a VM just for this one app is not going to be a good solution for my hardware. Had I known, I would have built something else. I'm at a loss.

The docker doesn't work and there isn't a plugin for this app. VM runs my system constantly and, so far, hasn't worked well anyhow. Any other suggestions that I haven't tried?

Use a cache drive ;)

You should always have 100% ram usage. Unused ram is worthless ram. Most ram will be used as a cache for filesystem or other buffers. Memory will be freed up when an application needs it.

Well, that's an interesting way to look at things. Maybe I should explain further and you can evaluate the situation for yourselves.

I have a quad core CPU in my NAS box for transcoding. I have 4GB of ram for the same purpose. Normally at idle, with no VM running, my RAM usage is about 20%. If I start a Plex transcoding operation it jumps to near 100%. If I fire up an Ubuntu VM it goes to over 90%. I have never tried to run them both, but it is possible that unRAID would dump the Ubuntu VM into swap and then free up space for transcoding. Maybe I'll reconfigure all of this (again!) and see what it does.

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...