NAS / Gaming Rig (LinusTechTips)

kenzo47

**FIXED**

If you have only 8GB RAM don't allocate over 80% of your RAM to 1 windows VM. See last posts on page 1 of this thread if you're having the same issue.

Hello everyone,

I just bought unRAID Plus today and I've been following the video by LinusTechTips on how to turn your gaming rig into a NAS as well, video here:

And everything so far works fine but I'm having issues installing my virtual machine. This is the error that I keep on getting.

2016-01-08 17:20:03.065+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.2.18, qemu version: 2.3.0

Domain id=3 is tainted: high-privileges

Domain id=3 is tainted: host-cpu

char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)

2016-01-08 17:22:26.336+0000: shutting down

I select VNC as graphics adapter and I get to the step where I load the Windows 8.1 virtio disk drivers. The installation of windows begins and fails after about 10%.

Things I've tried so far:

Bios Update

Used the stable version of virtio as well as the latest

Unchecked all USB devices

Tried using VNC as graphics adapter

PCIe ACS Override: yes - Doesn't work

My XML File (Windows 10): http://pastebin.com/d72UPnmg

If anyone knows a solution feel free to reply to my post. I'm currently trying to install Windows 10 (which I hate) to see if that works.

Many people have reported that for some reason they need to configure the VM to only use a single core during installation or the upgrade to Windows 10.  Once installed additional cores can be configured to improve performance.

Thank you for the suggestion. A standard Windows 10 install just failed on me with the same error code. I'll try it with a single core right now.

I would use an earlier version of the virtio drivers as there have been reports of issues with the latest versions.  I think 109 is reported as being OK.  I know I used a much earlier version (102 if I remember correctly)

The 102 version doesn't work for me. I'm going to try with version 109-2 right now. Thank you.

I'll explain my reasoning a little more.  You've got a total of 8GB total and you've allocated 7GB to your VM.  If your host (Unraid) runs out of memory I assume it will shutdown/kill the VM.

I got Windows 8 to install by selecting 4096MB RAM and only 1 core. I switched it back to 7168MB and it would crash almost immediately.

It seems you are correct. Booting Windows with 4GB fixes this problem.

Thank you so much!

I'll explain my reasoning a little more.  You've got a total of 8GB total and you've allocated 7GB to your VM.  If your host (Unraid) runs out of memory I assume it will shutdown/kill the VM.

I got Windows 8 to install by selecting 4096MB RAM and only 1 core. I switched it back to 7168MB and it would crash almost immediately.

Thank you so much!

I would expect that unRAID v6 would require more than 1GB to function reliably, particularly when using the more advanced features.  Also, remember that when you assigned 7GB to the VM this was the RAM invisible inside the VM to the guest OS - it did not take into account the additional unRAID overhead of running the VM.

Thank you so much!

I would expect that unRAID v6 would require more than 1GB to function reliably, particularly when using the more advanced features.  Also, remember that when you assigned 7GB to the VM this was the RAM invisible inside the VM to the guest OS - it did not take into account the additional unRAID overhead of running the VM.

Yes, I guess it was a pretty dumb mistake if you think about it. I already ordered more RAM. I didn't expect unRAID to use more than 1GB of memory.

The only thing I need now is to get my soundcard to show up in my VM.

Thank you so much!

Yes, I guess it was a pretty dumb mistake if you think about it. I already ordered more RAM. I didn't expect unRAID to use more than 1GB of memory.

The only thing I need now is to get my soundcard to show up in my VM.

Does illustrate quite nicely why it's best to post the XML and PC specs though..... 

At least you actually took the advice, some people just seem to ignore that advice, probably because it takes a bit of effort, but KVM is so hardware dependant that it's impossible to troubleshoot without it.  Appreciate that you took the trouble...  ;)

Archived