[SOLVED] Issue with make_bootable_mac on OSX El Capitan 10.11.2 (15C50)

danioj

I have just decided to setup my testbed unRAID environment and I am having an issue with the make_bootable_mac script I have never had before.

I follow the instructions in the video here: http://lime-technology.com/getting-started/

Everything is easy really. Get to the double click "make_bootable_mac" part of the guide and this happens:

INFO: make_bootable_mac v1.1

INFO: The following drive appears to be the unRAID USB Flash drive: 
/dev/7.8s
Basic DataUNRAID

To continue please enter your admin Password:
INFO: Writing MBR on /dev/7.8s
dd: /dev/7.8s: Operation not supported
INFO: Mounting /dev/7.8s
Unable to find disk for /dev/7.8s
syslinux for Mac OS X; created by Geza Kovacs for UNetbootin unetbootin.sf.net
hdiutil: unmount: "/dev/7.8ss1" failed to unmount due to error 2.
hdiutil: unmount failed - No such file or directory
couldn't open device: No such file or directory

INFO: the unRAID USB Flash drive is now bootable and may be ejected.

logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

As you can see it is "suggesting" that everything succeeded but the errors clearly indicate that it hasn't. Just for kicks I tried to boot from it anyway, just to say I had tried. Of course it didn't work.

I have had a look at the script but to be honest this is a bit beyond me.

Can anyone help?

EDIT: I have tried to do this on both my iMac and my Macbook Air. Same result. Same errors. Identical.

Solved my own issue. It turns out it was because I did not select the correct Scheme. I had previously left it at the default of "GUID Partition Map"  :-[

I don't remember OSX ever asking for me to select a Scheme before when formatting a USB drive  ??? I am sure that is more my memory than anything else  :-\ However, the option wasn't in LT's video either  :o

Anyway, after I selected the Scheme to be MBR (Master Boot Record) and formatted, make_bootable_mac run fine  ;D

Hope this helps others out if they need it  8)

NB: Not sure why the smileys in the post! LOL!

Screen_Shot_2016-01-10_at_6_26.05_PM.png.4c7d1790f4b3eda05ff89b6ef5594676.png

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hijack, but I would love to get MacOS working on VM.

This is not the place to discuss this. Please edit or remove your post.

Thanks.

I think you misunderstood my intent there. I was referring to something like a digital download, or just the software for purchase... The issue being that both El Capitan & Maverick are both "Free" upgrades and cannot be purchased, there is no market.

I did find my own answer though and it was to purchase Snow Leopard(10.6) from Apple, which was the last OS version they actually are still selling. For 9.99$ for the DVD, and free shipping. And this is how their customer support said is the only way to get El Capitan Retail.

I create my unRAID boot flash devices on a Mac. I use Disk Utility and always start off by re-partitioning the flash, rather than just erasing (formatting) it. That ensures the correct partitioning scheme is chosen. See http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45889.msg438672#msg438672

Edit: In my example, I'm actually using Mountain Lion. Disk Utility has changed its appearance quite a bit with the release of El Capitan.

I think you misunderstood my intent there
No, I understood your intent perfectly. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6135949?tstart=0

So you are saying we are only allowed to setup VM of MacOSX if unRaid is installed on an Apple Mac? While I cant argue with the post you linked, they are several guides on the forums about setting up MacOSX VM. So there are all running on a MAC or they shouldnt be posting about it?

So you are saying we are only allowed to setup VM of MacOSX if unRaid is installed on an Apple Mac? While I cant argue with the post you linked, they are several guides on the forums about setting up MacOSX VM. So there are all running on a MAC or they shouldnt be posting about it?

Your request has nothing to do with this topic. You acknowledged that you hijacked the thread and now you're persisting in being rude.

I think you misunderstood my intent there
No, I understood your intent perfectly. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6135949?tstart=0

This specific thread in General Support (V6) that you posted in is about an issue with the preparation of an Unraid boot USB flash drive using a Mac computer. It has NOTHING to do with setting up a VM. If you wish to talk about vm's, please start your own thread about your issue in the KVM section of the forum.
  • 1 month later...

You definitely should add a comment, that the drive has to be formated with MBR partition schema. Disk Utiliy's default is GUID and therefore many will run into this issue, me too, though I'm a longstanding UNRAID user but had to do a clean install for some reason.

Peter

• 3 months later...