[SOLVED] Disk Warning Notifications for RAW values not normalised VALUES

danioj

I have recently put in an old (ish) used 2.5" HDD into my Backup Server.

As far as my knowledge of reading the variables goes the Disk is fine. I don't as a rule look at the RAW values I look at the normalised VALUES.

However, I have received email "Warning Notifications" re the RAW values of Reallocated Sector Count, Reported Uncorrect and Command Timeout. There are no other variables with any concern.

The warning (which includes the reported RAW values) and the specific normalised VALUES are below. Like I mention above I don't usually look at the RAW values so to me the drive is fine. So now I am wondering now if I am misunderstanding the data because I cant imagine the warning notification system is wrong so there must be a reason I am being warned!?  :-\

What do others think?

EDIT: I know I recently posted about Command Timeout on a Seagate drive AND I also know that this variable is not even going to be monitored from 6.2 onwards, but included it anyway just in case.

The Disk is a Hitatchi 2.5" HDD Drive:

VALUE: 100, WORST: 100, THRESHOLD 005

Event: unRAID device sdf SMART health [5]
Subject: Warning [bACKUP] - reallocated sector ct is 1297
Importance: warning

VALUE: 100, WORST: 100, THRESHOLD 000

Event: unRAID device sdf SMART health [187]
Subject: Warning [bACKUP] - reported uncorrect is 8589869114

VALUE: 100, WORST: 70, THRESHOLD 000

Event: unRAID device sdf SMART health [188]
Subject: Warning [bACKUP] - command timeout is 790294495342

For the 2 attributes dealing with pending sectors and reallocated sectors you absolutely look at the raw values to see if there were any sector issues. Each count in the raw value corresponds to 1 troublesome sector. An increase in raw values means you're having more and more sectors go bad or pending going bad.

I'm not certain on command timeout.

Also, the moment my disk has any reported reallocated sectors it gets RMAd or replaced entirely. I dont trust it with my data. I've never had a disk not go entirely down hill once it starts getting bad sectors.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Bugger. I am not using it for data but to run a VM and 2 Dockers on my Backup server (As I don't have a need for a Cache drive in there) as my last mechanical 2.5" HDD just bit the dust. Turns out this is where this one is going too. I backup my VM's daily so I'll run it till it dies but shame it is going to. I'm going to have to stop liberating old drives for this and next time I have to open up I think I'll just put an SSD in there!!

Also, the moment my disk has any reported reallocated sectors it gets RMAd or replaced entirely. I dont trust it with my data. I've never had a disk not go entirely down hill once it starts getting bad sectors.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Bugger. I am not using it for data but to run a VM and 2 Dockers on my Backup server (As I don't have a need for a Cache drive in there) as my last mechanical 2.5" HDD just bit the dust. Turns out this is where this one is going too. I backup my VM's daily so I'll run it till it dies but shame it is going to. I'm going to have to stop liberating old drives for this and next time I have to open up I think I'll just put an SSD in there!!

Last update. I was driving home and the bloody freeway was packed as all hell (AND the kids are not even back at school) so I thought, Ill go get a beer and pop into the computer store for a browse while the traffic dies down!

Needless to say, the beer ended up being a wine and I bought an SSD to replace the faulting mechanical drive discussed in this thread. Whether it was the wine OR BRiT I don't know  ::) BUT I thought it was worth while (seen as I was there anyway ;)) to pre-empt the inevitable and just switch it out now!

I bet my latest spending doesn't go down well! I think I shall pour a G&T BEFORE I announce the latest purchase! LOL!