Tvheadend or mythtv

squirrellydw

Try both and see what you prefer  ;)

Well I could do that and that would probably be the best but I like to get opinions from others.

Also can you add channels from Kodi that aren't part of over the air TV.  For example I use the NBC Sports channel in Kodi and login with my parents information.  Anyway I can add that to the guide section and launch it from there?

I used Myth for about the last year and it served me well.

I recently moved to TVH since Schedules Direct (tv_grab_na_dd) now works.  WebGrabPlus+ is just a monster and takes FOREVER to grab guide data.  The internal grabbers work a 1000 time faster.

Here is my observations...

- Myth was the nice tv listings interface.  However, I was the only one who ever looked at it so giving that up was not a big deal.

- TVH channel changes are MUCH faster!

- You can configure a hell of a lot with Myth without the need for external scripts (i.e commercial flagging)

- Sucks that you have to actually RDP into Myth to make changes.

- TVH...all changes can be done via the web interface.

John

I assume you run TVH on unraid, what version are you running.  There are like 10 different version to choose from.

edit....also any idea about this

Also can you add channels from Kodi that aren't part of over the air TV.  For example I use the NBC Sports channel in Kodi and login with my parents information.  Anyway I can add that to the guide section and launch it from there?

I assume you run TVH on unraid, what version are you running.  There are like 10 different version to choose from.

All of the TVH containers are provided by the same author...saarg.  I use his Stable one which is v4.0.8:  tobbenb/tvheadend

edit....also any idea about this

Not natively.  The only way I know of this being done is via something like PeudoTV Live Kodi addon.  I think you can mash together different sources in that...but it is a beast!

John

There is only two versions (3 if you include the old 3.4 stable) actually. The stable and the unstable version. The unstable version has multiple templates for how many dvb tuners the user have. So if you use a dvb card, choose the template that has your amount of tuners.

There is only two versions (3 if you include the old 3.4 stable) actually. The stable and the unstable version. The unstable version has multiple templates for how many dvb tuners the user have. So if you use a dvb card, choose the template that has your amount of tuners.

Saarg...I haven't even looked at the unstables yet (v5 right?).  Any major improvements between v4 and v5?

John

Saarg...I haven't even looked at the unstables yet (v5 right?).  Any major improvements between v4 and v5?

John

Still version 4 ;) It's 4.1 something. There is a lot going on with the development. I don't have it in my head though. Is there a setup wizard in the stable? There is in the unstable at least.

Despite the fact I'm making the containers, I'm still running tvheadend in a VM and it doesn't get updated much, so can't comment on stability  ::) I'm about to make the switch in the weekend, but have to reconfigure tvheadend from scratch, so it takes a little bit of time...  :)

John

All this good stuff (mainly timeshift actually, but still good notes)! http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=258230

The setup wizard is kind of nice though, but by now you've probably done this enough to not need it anyway.

OK,i'm going to try out TVHeadend but have a few questions.

1. what do I put in the "data" section of the docker?

2. in the config section I will put "/mnt/cache/appdata/tvheadebd"

3.  what do I put in the "recordings" section of the docker?

thanks anything else I need to know for now?

I've got /data = /mnt/config/appdata/tvheadend/data

/config = /mnt/config/appdata/tvheadend/config

/recordings = /mnt/user/recordings (Set as cache only)

/recordings is for the timeshift and recordings.  In the tvheadend config I have recordings set at /recordings and timeshift as /recordings/timeshift

1. This is where your xml file will end up if you use my WebgrabPlus+ EPG container and johnodons zap2xml (i think). Let it be at the default if you're going to use it. If not, you can remove it after you installed the container. Edit the container and choose the remove button at the end of the line.

2. Yes, but it's already filled in.

3. This is where you choose where the recordings are stored. Either a share or a separate hard drive if you use parity. 

These are my volume mappings:

/config            /mnt/cache/Docker/TVHeadend    <--TVH config files

/data              /mnt/user/PVR/guide    <-- EPG data  (array)

/recordings    /mnt/user/PVR/recordings    <-- recorded programs  (array)

/timeshift        /mnt/cache/Timeshift    <-- timeshift for livetv (cache only share)

/icons            /mnt/user/PVR/icons  <-- channel logos

I use a cache only share for timeshift so it is not writing to parity drive constantly.

John

Well I thought I would give TVheadend a try too.  What's the best way to setup Schedules Direct? I currently have 10 months left on my sub and would like to use it will TVHeadend.

Thanks

JM

See this post by bungee:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37671.msg442261#msg442261

You basically need to create a conf file for the tv_grab_na_dd grabber (fyi...dd = data direct = schedules direct).

docker exec -it *nameofcontainer* bash

(where *nameofcontainer* = the case sensitive name of your TVH container)

tv_grab_na_dd --configure

This will walk you through creating your conf file by asking questions about your schedules direct sub.  The resulting file (tv_grab_na_dd.conf) will be written to /root/.xmltv/.  However, this is the wrong location since you ran the above script as root.  You need to copy the conf file to the right place:

cp /root/.xmltv/tv_grab_na_dd.conf /config/.xmltv/tv_grab_na_dd.conf

Only thing left to do is enable the XMLTV: North America (Data Direct) grabber in TVH an restart TVH.  You will then need to assign an EPG Source for each channel.  Until you actually assign the EPG Sources, no data will be pulled.

John