[Support] johnodon - zap2xml

tOQ5IRi.png

zap2xml is a small and fast command line script that connects to a Zap2it or TVGuide account, downloads the tv listings data, and converts it to XMLTV or XTVD formatted .xml.

unRAID Templates:  https://github.com/johnodon/docker-templates/tree/master/johnodon

Application Name: zap2xml

Application Site: http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/johnodon/zap2xml/

Github: https://github.com/johnodon/zap2xml

Application Name: zap2xml-2lineups

Application Site: http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/johnodon/zap2xml-2lineups/

Github: https://github.com/johnodon/zap2xml/tree/2lineups

Now available in Community Applications.

Configuration instructions are contained within the templates.  Please post any questions/issues relating to this docker you have in this thread.

Changelog:

07FEB2016

- New icon and banner added to templates

06FEB2016

- Initial release

- Changed color of banner and icon in the unRAID templates (thx Squid)

- Added to unRAID templates:

<Overview>zap2xml is a small and fast command line script that connects to a Zap2it or TVGuide account, downloads the tv listings  data, and converts it to XMLTV or XTVD formatted .xml.</Overview>

<Beta>False</Beta>

<Category>Downloaders: Tools:</Category>

<Date>2016-02-06</Date>

<Support>https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46330.0</Support>

zap2xml

Configuration

/config : Folder where all zap2xml config files, config templates and download cache

/data : Folder where the guide.xml file will be written

You need to create and configure your account on zap2it.com. Follow the instructions at the top of the zap2xml website: http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

On first launch, zap2xml will not scrape guide data. A configuration template will be downloaded to /config/templates/zap2xml.conf. Copy this file to /config/zap2xml.conf and edit per your needs:

user=*zap2it.com_username*-------- change to your zap2it username

pass=*zap2it.com_password*-------- change to your zap2it username

cache=/config/cache-------- zap2xml cache folder

days=14-------- # of days of guide data to download

outformat=xmltv-------- XML format

outfile=/data/guide.xml-------- where to write guide.xml (usually same folder specified in THV container)

Once you have made your configuration changes, you can restart the container. On the next (and each subsequent) launch, zap2xml will scrape zap2it.com for guide data and write it to the location specified in the configuration file. A cron file (/config/mycron) is included to schedule a guide data refresh twice a day (11:30 and 23:30). Edit this file to change the schedule to your liking.

zap2xml-2lineups

NOTE: THIS CONTAINER IS FOR USERS WHO PULL DATA FROM 2 DIFFERENT LINEUPS ON ZAP2IT.COM. YOU WILL NEED 2 USER ACCOUNTS.

Configuration

/config : Folder where all zap2xml config files, config templates and download cache

/data : Folder where the guide.xml file will be written

You need to create and configure your account on zap2it.com. Follow the instructions at the top of the zap2xml website: http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

On first launch, zap2xml will not scrape guide data. Two configuration templates will be downloaded to /config/templates/zap2xml.conf1 and /config/templates/zap2xml.conf2. Copy these file to the /config/ folder and edit per your needs:

zap2xml.conf1

user=*zap2it.com_username1*-------- change to your zap2it first username

pass=*zap2it.com_password*-------- change to your zap2it password

cache=/config/cache1-------- zap2xml cache1 folder

outfile=/data/guide1.xml-------- DO NOT CHANGE (usually same folder specified in THV container)

zap2xml.conf2

user=*zap2it.com_username2*-------- change to your second zap2it username

pass=*zap2it.com_password*-------- change to your zap2it password

cache=/config/cache2-------- zap2xml cache2 folder

outfile=/data/guide2.xml-------- DO NOT CHANGE (usually same folder specified in THV container)

Once you have made your configuration changes, you can restart the container. On the next (and each subsequent) launch, zap2xml will scrape zap2it.com for guide data for both lineups and the resulting XMLs will be merged into a single XML @ /data/guide.xml. A cron file (/config/mycron) is included to schedule a guide data refresh twice a day (11:30 and 23:30). Edit this file to change the schedule to your liking.

• 3 weeks later...

So I setup this up but it doesn't seem to be pulling any data, how long does it take?  Attached are my docker settings.  Also I changed the conf file with my user data, I removed the *s and added my user name and PW  Any idea?

Did you enable the xmltv grabber in TVH?

BHCfYBN.png

Also, it will not pull data until you actually map services to EPG source in TVH.

YZEBoJn.png

Also remember that saarg's TVH expects the guide.xml file to be in a specific folder (/data).  The path you mapped above for /data must match the same path in the TVH mappings.

John

I'm not using TVH, I just want to download the xmltv file to use with another program and point it to the file.  So I guess this won't work, any other way to download the xmltv file?

If that is the case, I would just download the Windows EXE from the website and run it with whatever switches you want.  It will generate an XMLTV file.  My docker is really designed to work with saarg's TVH.

EDIT:  Second thought...my container should do pretty much what you want.  Go to the zap2xml website read up on the conf file.  My container write the data to an XMLTV formatted file...it is just named guide.xml for use with saarg's TVH.  You could easily rename it to whatever you want.

John

I'm not using TVH, I just want to download the xmltv file to use with another program and point it to the file.  So I guess this won't work, any other way to download the xmltv file?

If that is the case, I would just download the Windows EXE from the website and run it with whatever switches you want.  It will generate an XMLTV file.  My docker is really designed to work with saarg's TVH.

I use a Mac not windows so that won't work

EDIT:  Second thought...my container should do pretty much what you want.  Go to the zap2xml website read up on the conf file.  My container write the data to an XMLTV formatted file...it is just named guide.xml for use with saarg's TVH.  You could easily rename it to whatever you want.

John

I will check this out when I get home, the problem I had earlier was I looked for that file and didn't see it.  That's why I was wondering how long it should take to pull that data and make the file.  Do I need to put my Data folder somewhere else?

Just like to drop a line and say thanks for this docker. 

I have nothing against webgrab++ but I was relieved on how quickly this zap2xml script worked after spending a couple of hours with webreb++ which i found a bit daunting.   

I'm new to unraid/docker but it required only a couple of steps, had it configured and up and running in a few mins, tho i have to admit i've used this script on a mythtv box in the past.  I was surprised that worked like a charm and how easily it was able to integrate with tvheadend.

Thanks !   

Just like to drop a line and say thanks for this docker. 

I have nothing against webgrab++ but I was relieved on how quickly this zap2xml script worked after spending a couple of hours with webreb++ which i found a bit daunting.   

I'm new to unraid/docker but it required only a couple of steps, had it configured and up and running in a few mins, tho i have to admit i've used this script on a mythtv box in the past.  I was surprised that worked like a charm and how easily it was able to integrate with tvheadend.

Thanks ! 

You are quite welcome!

John

I'm just wondering why you are against a docker container of your software?

You are aware that this is done to make it easy for users of unraid to easily install apps?

It's for personal use and is definitely not done to steal the code.

Do you plan to release a container yourself?

Your code has not been touched...only integrated into a Docker container.

If you insist that I cease redistribution for non-commercial use, I will do so.  However, I ask that you provide the license for the perl script itself.  If one does not exist, I have a simple solution going forward.

Your choice.

John O'Donnell,

You have taken my work and hosted it for redistribution without consultation or permission and rudely ignore emails.

I do insist that you respect the rights of authors and cease redistribution. 

Those that choose to put their own work on github and license their own work in other ways have the freedom to do so.

But when someone decides not to do that they have the right to make that choice.  I have written and supported my project for 9 years.  Users wishing to use my work can continue to download it directly from my homepage.

John O'Donnell,

You have taken my work and hosted it for redistribution without consultation or permission and rudely ignore emails.

I do insist that you respect the rights of authors and cease redistribution. 

Those that choose to put their own work on github and license their own work in other ways have the freedom to do so.

But when someone decides not to do that they have the right to make that choice.  I have written and supported my project for 9 years.  Users wishing to use my work can continue to download it directly from my homepage.

I have received exactly one email from you...ONE!  And that was a reply to my email asking for a direct download link to the source so I would not have the need to include it on my github repo.  I'll post that email thread here for everyone to see.

Please remove and cease the redistribution of my software.

https://github.com/johnodon/zap2xml/blob/master/files/scripts/zap2xml.pl

Users can choose to manually download the software from the homepage,

but it is not for integration or redistribution (as is stated on the

homepage).

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:13 PM, John xx <xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi.

>

> Any chance you can provide a static download location for the perl script?

> I built a Docker container that uses zap2xml.pl to grab guide data and make

> it available to tvheadend and other PVRs

> (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46330.0).

>

> I would like to be able to add code to grab the latest version.

>

> John

>

> ps. Awesome utility! Thank you for creating it.

Now for the rude part...

Piss off...I'm done with you.  Do your worst (whatever you think your recourse is).  I asked for a copy of the license and you did not provide one.

Oh and by the way, I had a friend of mine write a perl script called scrapezap.  Quite a coincidence isn't it.

I have received exactly one email from you...ONE!  And that was a reply to my email asking for a direct download link to the source so I would not have the need to include it on my github repo.  I'll post that email thread here for everyone to see.

A similar note was sent to your other email address in case you did not read that one.

Now for the rude part...

Piss off...I'm done with you.  Do your worst (whatever you think your recourse is).  I asked for a copy of the license and you did not provide one.

Oh and by the way, I had a friend of mine write a perl script called scrapezap.  Quite a coincidence isn't it.

I'm glad you like my work, but I think this makes your attitude, your sense of entitlement to other people's work, and your intentions quite clear. 

Quite the contrary...I wanted to use the source but you immediately replied with your attitude.  Do you think I actually want credit for your work?  I merely want to make it available in other situations.  Downloading it from your website does not meet the needs of this community. 

John O'Donnell,

You have taken my work from my home page which states that it is not to be redistributed and, without permission (without even asking), you have packaged it up and redistributed it. 

If my non-redistributable work is not distributed in a method to your liking then it is simply not appropriate for you.  You don't get to set the terms of my software.  There are other products out there with license terms compatible to your use.

Please remove the hosting of, and cease the redistribution of my work. 

John O'Donnell,

You have taken my work from my home page which states that it is not to be redistributed and, without permission (without even asking), you have packaged it up and redistributed it. 

If my non-redistributable work is not distributed in a method to your liking then it is simply not appropriate for you.  You don't get to set the terms of my software.  There are other products out there with license terms compatible to your use.

Please remove the hosting of, and cease the redistribution of my work.

Why can't you give him a direct link to the script so he doesn't have to redistribute your work? Problem solved.

You did make this tool for people to use it I assume?