danioj's testing of unRAID 6.2 soon™ Edition BETA -> RC -> FINAL

danioj

I had decided some time ago to not just rely on and wait for the FINAL BUT to give the new unRAID 6.2 soon™ Professional Edition ;) a thorough testing myself on my Test Server BEFORE I deployed it on either of my Main or Backup Servers.

Then I though, why not make it a public testing. From the first BETA version of unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-beta18 through to the inevitable FINAL.

So my intention here is to test as much of the new and exisiting CORE NAS orientated features of 6.2 as the setup will allow me.**

It is not my intention to try much with respect to Docker and Virtual Machines. 1. The Hardware I am using doesn't really support it and 2. I am sure others will be all over that area. Too many cooks!  ;)

** Note: I have also decided throughout the journey to FINAL to support gfjardim's efforts in his alternative (and as of this post 'untested' - so you have been *WARNED*) to the much loved preclear script's by Joe.L and Bjp999 in his Preclear Plugin BETA: Main Post: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39985.0 Preclear BETA Post: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39985.msg453938#msg453938

Hardware Specifications:

Case: Custom Office Works Keji Desktop File Storage Organiser 5 Drawer Black

Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-M LX PLUS LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU: Intel® Celeron® Processor G550 (2M Cache, 2.60 GHz)

Memory: G.Skill 1666 Ripjaws 4 GB 4096 MB

Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620

Disk Specifications:

Parity 1: Western Digital Blue WD800AAJS (00PSA0) 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Parity 2: Western Digital Blue WD800AAJS (00PSA0) 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Data 1: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380815AS (9CY131-020) 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Data 2: Western Digital WD Blue WD800JD (60LSA5) 80GB 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

Data 3: Western Digital WD Blue WD800JD (60LSA5) 80GB 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

Note: Be mindful that the Hardware isn't brand new and to some degree that will limit my performance testing ability and conclusions. I might scale it as I go on. I have some hooks into some more spare parts.

Intended unRAID Configuration:

Parity: 2 Disks (Dual - P + Q)

Data: 3 Disks

Cache: No

Docker: Disabled

Virtual Machines: Disabled

Plugins: Community Applications, Unassigned Devices, Preclear

This is a start of what is no doubt going to be a LONG journey through to unRAID 6.2 soon™ FINAL. Please feel free to make requests, input, discuss and all round participate. The more the merrier. Above ALL my aim is that it contributes to the stability of unRAID and I hope it helps / supports people out along the way.

You can also catch me on IRC:

Server: chat.freenode.net Ports: 6667 [sSL: 6697]

Channels: #unRAID and #Linuxserver.io

It begins .....  8):)

Activity Log

12/3/2016: Successfully upgraded from 6.1.6 to 6.2.0-beta18 using the plugin method described in the Announcement post. No issue.

All 5 disks showing unassigned and unRAID GUI is zippy and behaving as expected.

Installed Community Applications (CA) Plugin AND then via CA, Unassigned Devices (UD) Plugin and Preclear [bETA] Plugin. No issue.

All 3 Plugins behaving constant with 6.1.9. Temperatures now visible (via UD Plugin). No issue.

Commence Preclear (using Plugin) of all 5 drives at the same time. Preclear now visible on Main Tab (in addition to Plugin Settings Page) as expected. No issue.

I like it!  I'm currently picking my way through trying to recompile it for DVB support.  I'll let you know what I find out...

bzroot-gui is a bit of a mystery at the moment in terms of how it integrates with the existing files, but I think I may have figured it out.

• 6 months later...

@Mods you can delete this thread if you like. Life happened and I didn't end up doing as I had planned. It's now just a waste of space, only me and Neil posted anyway.

I know for a fact (did it with CA's thread) that you can delete entire threads yourself via Tapatalk.

Just tried. Nope. Can't do it via Website either.

Will have to be a Mod. Ill put's my bet on @trurl being the one!

@Mods you can delete this thread if you like. Life happened and I didn't end up doing as I had planned. It's now just a waste of space, only me and Neil posted anyway.

I know for a fact (did it with CA's thread) that you can delete entire threads yourself via Tapatalk.

Just tried. Nope. Can't do it via Website either.

Will have to be a Mod. Ill put's my bet on @trurl being the one!

meh, you're doing it wrong.

i deleted a thread the other day.

I could remove it, if you insist, but I don't really want to, as it started out as a nice piece of work.  If nothing else, would you like it saved just to provide a template for the next time you or anyone else wants to do something like that?  If not, we'll do whatever you want.