SERIOUSLY! PLEX, hosted on unRAID...is driving me #%&* NUTZ!!

And I just want to triple-check this...

7. Set /transcode >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex (ensures plex doesnt fill docker.img with transcodes) [DONE]

I don't want to muddy the waters here, but I'd recommend creating a subfolder to hold the transcodes.  So:

/transcode >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex/transcode

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I just want to triple-check this...

7. Set /transcode >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex (ensures plex doesnt fill docker.img with transcodes) [DONE]

I don't want to muddy the waters here, but I'd recommend creating a subfolder to hold the transcodes.  So:

/transcode >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex/transcode

In my experience plex does this for you.

Basically if someone is randomly scanning all the external IP addresses in the world and is trying to find open ports they would start with commonly open ports to speed up their random search.  So to be extra safe it is best to use an uncommon port to make their life harder.

I see. Thanks for the info.

So...2 things; as we (finally) near, putting this thread to rest.

1) Once again...I have to thank and commend, the product, support, and forum!

6 is like a quantum leap, from 4 and 5 before it. So polished, powerful, and friendly. Proud to be, a somewhat...early adopter  :)

As for the community; it's priceless! Look...I know I really acted, a bit helpless through this thing. I believe in Google, and I believe in helping those who help themselves.

In this case...I'd already screwed the pooch once; and was completely unfamiliar...with many of the steps, we covered.

I will say this (and I think I said it earlier): I troubleshoot for a living. Sure...I roll my eyes sometimes, like "don't you remember this...from the last 10 times I walked you through it"; or LMGTFY. However...once I do start helping you; then, I want you to do exactly what I say...and don't veer off on your own.

So that's what I was trying to do here. At times...I was 99% about the answer; but I wanted to make sure...better safe than sorry. And...I didn't want to throw off, my Heroes.  ;)

Speaking of which...I could go through and name names; but you know who you are. Again...one of the great things, about the support community; issues are handled as a team...and the response-time is tremendous. Once I start working something...I'm feverish. 1, because I want it resolved quickly; but 2, because once I get on a roll...I like to keep procedures and fixes, fresh in mind.

On some forums...you wait days; here...it's usually minutes! KUDOS!!

2) I am not quite, at #13. Enjoy life., on my list yet.

PLEX is working "better", on my FireTV...than before. That is...the issue before was, it would play one thing (movie, TV episode...what have you); and as soon as I stopped it, and went to play another...it would say it could not find the server. To this point...that hasn't happened (playing several titles, quickly...here and there last night).

What is happening now...that strangely, was NOT happening before; is my PQ is clearly (or not so clearly, lol) getting downgraded (looks like, to 480p). And I get a message like "this device, is not powerful enough to stream at original resolution" (paraphrase)...and it goes away, and plays on.

Now I don't know, where the issue lies; the PLEX set-up on unRAID...or the PLEX settings in PLEX (in which case, I'll hike over to the PLEX forum...and bug them; now that I know my unRAID set-up...is pretty rock-solid).

I just can't help but think...this is a "transcode" issue, yes? And before...I didn't do sh*t with transcode; and never had this issue. The picture was beautiful...and I got full PQ and resolution; I just kept losing the server.

Any thoughts? TIA

You need to make sure your on the latest version of plex for the Fire TV.  On the plex client set it up for direct play for video and audio.  You may also have to increase the bit rate for local content. Depending on your source, it may still trans-code the audio

As a side issue, if you have not already done it, you may want to set your unraid server up with a fixed IP or reserve one on your router where you always have the same one.  Under SMB, I would also set it to be the local Master Browser, assuming it is not set in your router.  I am assuming your using SMB shares.  This can help make your internal network more stable.

EDIT:  If you set a fixed IP, make sure it is outside your DHCP lease pool.

As a side issue, if you have not already done it, you may want to set your unraid server up with a fixed IP or reserve one on your router where you always have the same one.

You know...early on, I was always a fixed-address guy; over DHCP. Then...I decided, everyone else wouldn't do it; if it wasn't more practical.

So...if I make my uR server fixed; am I going to have to do any/major, config changes...to this whole PLEX set-up?

As a side issue, if you have not already done it, you may want to set your unraid server up with a fixed IP or reserve one on your router where you always have the same one.

You know...early on, I was always a fixed-address guy; over DHCP. Then...I decided, everyone else wouldn't do it; if it wasn't more practical.

So...if I make my uR server fixed; am I going to have to do any/major, config changes...to this whole PLEX set-up?

No, you won't have any problems.

BUT, here's the catch.  Assume that you change your router, and its default DHCP addresses are 192.168.2.xxx and the previous router's was 192.168.1.xxx

Now any computer you have that is set to DHCP will be on a different subnet from your unRaid server (if you set a static IP within unRaid) and won't be able to communicate to it.

Assign static IP addresses, but do it within the router to minimize issues  (I'm a fan of everything that is connected via ethernet should be a static address, and only mobile devices uses DHCP).  Regardless, all servers (and ethernet connected printers and the like) should always have a static IP

No, you won't have any problems.

BUT, here's the catch.  Assume that you change your router, and its default DHCP addresses are 192.168.2.xxx and the previous router's was 192.168.1.xxx

Now any computer you have that is set to DHCP will be on a different subnet from your unRaid server (if you set a static IP within unRaid) and won't be able to communicate to it.

Assign static IP addresses, but do it within the router to minimize issues  (I'm a fan of everything that is connected via ethernet should be a static address, and only mobile devices uses DHCP).  Regardless, all servers (and ethernet connected printers and the like) should always have a static IP

Absolutely Squid. Better safe than sorry...as far as your warning is concerned; but I am actually decently versed, when it comes to networking.  :)

As a side issue, if you have not already done it, you may want to set your unraid server up with a fixed IP or reserve one on your router where you always have the same one.  Under SMB, I would also set it to be the local Master Browser, assuming it is not set in your router.  I am assuming your using SMB shares.  This can help make your internal network more stable.

OK; uR server is now fixed...and router always was.

What's this all about?

smb1.png.6e00ae830645c28138b78b6c56ddbbbf.png

I don't think the message got through. What I think Squid was saying, was to leave the server itself set to DHCP, but reserve a static address in the router so unraid always gets that static IP as long as it is connected to that router.

If you change routers, you will have to set up port forwarding again, and it's simpler if you can do the static IP assignment and the port forwarding both in the router, and leave the server to pick up the new static IP that you assigned it from the router's DHCP server.

My apologies if that isn't what Squid meant.

I don't think the message got through. What I think Squid was saying, was to leave the server itself set to DHCP, but reserve a static address in the router so unraid always gets that static IP as long as it is connected to that router.

If you change routers, you will have to set up port forwarding again, and it's simpler if you can do the static IP assignment and the port forwarding both in the router, and leave the server to pick up the new static IP that you assigned it from the router's DHCP server.

Yeah; someone will have to clarify  ???  :-[  ???  :o  :-\

Basically what I meant.  But I was going with the whole default subnets thing.  Whenever I change routers it seems that the replacements default subnet differs from the original.  Which means that right off the bat if I have assigned a static IP to the servers (or to any computer) locally instead of through the router those systems are unable to communicate to any other computer that is not assigned a static IP.

Set up everything locally to get its IP through DHCP and set up static IPs in the router to minimize issues.  Sure you'll still have to on a replacement router set them up again, but at least you won't be banging your head against the wall as to why your desktop can't find your server.

And my opinion is that everything hardwired (ethernet) or permanently placed WiFi devices (printers) should all be issued a static IP by the router as it gives both SMB and Samba an easier job of connecting to the devices

^^ OK, well...if we don't think it's going to cause any issues, that rear their head...in an impeding way; I'm going to stick with the newly fixed address for the uR server, and not the other thing.

I'm not sure, I even get what you guys are getting at? You make it sound like, you change routers...once every 6 months, lol.

I don't; and when I do get a new one; I just set it, against my old scheme  ???

Again...unless you really think, this is at the crux of my transcoding issue; as opposed, to just your opinion of a best practice. Can we move on?  :)

dynamic or static IP has no bearing on your firetv quality issues.

Move on to digging through the firetv plex settings as that's likely the culprit.

I agree; and again...I think you guys, were just trying to suggest a best practice.

IMAO (In My Amateur Opinion); I think we need to start, by looking here?

New%20Bitmap%20Image%202_zps9d9ilb26.png

I agree with the others.  The play back quality issues is with the client/server. Those settings need to be adjusted.  Also be aware that the transcoding requirements can be highly dependent on the encoding of the source martial.  Your at the stage now that any issues are plex related.  Just to make sure, your fire tv is hardwired into your network correct?  Your not using wireless?

All I was pointing out about hard coding the IP and Master Browser was to make sure that the internal network communications was stable.  They have absolutely zero impact on your transcoding issues.  I did not mean to get you off on another direction.

If you want to know more about the Master Browser functionality, there is a lot of information on it on the web.  One good overview is here.  He also publishes an excellent tool, LANScanner to identify and troubleshoot master browser info.  One common error that some people make is to have multiple workgroups in their windows network and then wonder why they can see other computers in the network neighborhood.

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/