Starting from scratch again with version 6 [Solved]

I upgraded from version 5 to version 6, using the easiest upgrade.  I have two issues I cannot correct:

1)  The system refuses to use a cache drive.  If I set up a cache drive, the data gets written to the cache drive but never gets written to the array.  I have to manually copy everything to the array then get rid of the cache drive.

2)  My windows computers do not automatically find the server any more. If I run Windows Explorer and go to "network", the unraid server is not there.  I have to manually type in the name of the server.  This initially worked after going from version 5 to version 6, but now no longer works.

What I would like to do is start from scratch.  Do I follow the steps for performing a clean upgrade to version 6?  Is there anything I should save or do before I do this?

Thank you.

So even if you go into settings, then into scheduler and set the "mover" it still doesn't move correctly? Wasn't sure if you've actually set a mover schedule yet. Sounds to me like that you haven't told unRAID when to move the files yet?

As to the Windows 10 and network. I do not believe this is an unRAID issue as Windows 10 will randomly have issues finding other Windows machine, including other Windows servers, on the network. I have just set mine up as a read only network share so the folder is always visible under "this computer" in Windows 10.

Hope that helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So even if you go into settings, then into scheduler and set the "mover" it still doesn't move correctly? Wasn't sure if you've actually set a mover schedule yet. Sounds to me like that you haven't told unRAID when to move the files yet?

As to the Windows 10 and network. I do not believe this is an unRAID issue as Windows 10 will randomly have issues finding other Windows machine, including other Windows servers, on the network. I have just set mine up as a read only network share so the folder is always visible under "this computer" in Windows 10.

Hope that helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I only have limited time to deal with network issues (in fact, I have to work this weekend, so won't be able to do anything until next weekend).

I opened a thread on the windows 7 not finding the network, as now some of the programs I have refuse to find the network.  This happens both on my computer and my wife's computer (both windows 7), and never happened before on either of them, so I'm thinking it's an unraid (or networking) issue. 

If I wait overnight (or manually run the mover), I can look in the logs and see that the mover started but skipped everything.  Unfortunately, I erased the syslog and don't have any error messages.  I can easily get them back if I put the cache drive into service, though.

I've taken the cache drive out of service and put it back into service multiple times.  That hasn't helped. I'm not sure what to do now other than restart everything from scratch.

How exactly are you using the cache drive? Writing directly to the cache drive will not necessarily result in files getting moved. You write to a user share that is set to Use cache disk: Yes and then the files for that user share will be written to cache and moved from cache at the scheduled time.

How exactly are you using the cache drive? Writing directly to the cache drive will not necessarily result in files getting moved. You write to a user share that is set to Use cache disk: Yes and then the files for that user share will be written to cache and moved from cache at the scheduled time.

That's how I use it:  I write to the share, and this gets written to the cache drive.  The data on the cache drive does not get written to the array -- ever.  I have all my shares set to use the cache drive (or at least they've been set that way for 10+ years I've had unraid and I've never changed them back).

Tonight, I'll re-enable the cache drive so I can get the error messages. 

Thank you.  Let me give some more background.  I've been using a cache drive for years, at least the decade I've had this unraid server working.  I've used the cache drive for versions 4, 5, and 6.  I upgraded from version 5.x to version 6.1.4 using the "easy" upgrade.  The process seemed to work well, except that the files written to a share (that is, to the cache first) seem to have errors when copying.  I have to copy everything from the cache to a local computer, turn off the cache, and copy everything manual by to the array.  By the time I realized what had happened, I had gigabytes of material on the cache, which had to be manually copied.

I re-added the cache drive.  As far as I can tell, all of the shares have the cache enabled. I then copied a file to a folder on a share (called "family").  The folder is named "temp".

Here are the errors in the syslog:

Apr 24 03:40:01 Data logger: mover started

Apr 24 03:40:01 Data logger: skipping "Family"

Apr 24 03:40:01 Data logger: mover finished

If I look at the cache drive (I also enabled seeing the drives themselves, which I usually do not have enabled), the cache drive has that data under \servername\cache\family\temp.  If I go to the family share, under "temp", the file is also there (but I assume that's unraid's software tricking windows explorer into seeing this). 

I also enclose the data diagnostics.

I've had this problem since I've done the upgrade from version 5 to 6, about six months ago. I just didn't have time until now to solve it.

Thank you for any help.

data-diagnostics-20160424-0614.zip

Comparing your Family.cfg to some of my shares .cfg it looks like the format may be slightly different. Try going to the shares settings page and resave its settings.

Yes!!  Thank you!  This worked.  I enabled the cache drive again, then went and for each share, selected Shares then the share, then set "use cache disk" from "yes" to "no", and then I applied this.  I then immediately set "use cache disk" from "no" to "yes", and then I applied this.

I copied one file from my local computer to a folder on one of the shares.  This morning, I checked and the cache drive is empty and the syslog says the following:

Apr 25 03:40:01 Data logger: mover started

Apr 25 03:40:01 Data logger: moving "Family"

Apr 25 03:40:01 Data logger: ./Family/Temp/IMG_0053.AVI

Apr 25 03:40:01 Data logger: .d..t...... ./

Apr 25 03:40:01 Data logger: .d..t...... Family/

Apr 25 03:40:01 Data logger: .d..t...... Family/Temp/

Apr 25 03:40:01 Data logger: >f+++++++++ Family/Temp/IMG_0053.AVI

Apr 25 03:40:10 Data logger: ./Family/Temp

Apr 25 03:40:10 Data logger: .d..t...... Family/Temp/

Apr 25 03:40:10 Data logger: ./Family/

Apr 25 03:40:10 Data logger: .d..t...... Family/

Apr 25 03:40:10 Data logger: mover finished

So, the data finally got moved!  I've been trying to solve this for over 6 months (intermittently), but never thought the solution could be so simple!  Thank you again.