Child share unRAID?

Bjonness406

Is it possible to make child share in unRAID, with individual permissions on the parent share and child share?

What exactly is a parent / child share, and what is your goal in creating one? (I ask because there might be another approach that does work)

Having one share that I can mount on 4 computers, which is read only for everyone.

So the parent share can be documents (read only), then under the documents share, I can have different shares for different users. One for me, one for my brother, one for my mother etc, which is read/write for the correct user and nobody else have access to that folder.

Then I would not get so many network mappings, and it would look a loot cleaner.

Is it possible to make child share in unRAID, with individual permissions on the parent share and child share?

What exactly is a parent / child share, and what is your goal in creating one? (I ask because there might be another approach that does work)

Having one share that I can mount on 4 computers, which is read only for everyone.

So the parent share can be documents (read only), then under the documents share, I can have different shares for different users. One for me, one for my brother, one for my mother etc, which is read/write for the correct user and nobody else have access to that folder.

Then I would not get so many network mappings, and it would look a loot cleaner.

I'm struggling to understand your description of what you want to achieve. When you say "I can have different shares for different users" do you mean "I can have different folders for different users"? In which case everyone mounts a single share called "documents", which contains three sub-folders "me", "brother" and "mother", to which only the relevant user has read/write access and everyone else has no access? That can be done but not via the GUI. But it doesn't use child shares so maybe it isn't what you want.

You'd need to add the three users and their passwords via the GUI and create the documents share (making it private and allocating your required permissions to it) then switch to the command line and use chown and chmod to achieve something like this:

root@tower:~# ls -l /mnt/user/documents
total 1234
drwx------ 1 brother users        32 Apr 25 23:50 brother/
drwx------ 1 mother  users        32 Apr 25 23:51 mother/
drwx------ 1 me      users        32 Apr 25 23:52 me/
root@tower:~#

EDIT: Having said that, I can't work out the advantage of this approach over one with three private shares called "my documents", "brother's documents" and "mother's documents".

I'm struggling to understand your description of what you want to achieve. When you say "I can have different shares for different users" do you mean "I can have different folders for different users"? In which case everyone mounts a single share called "documents", which contains three sub-folders "me", "brother" and "mother", to which only the relevant user has read/write access and everyone else has no access? That can be done but not via the GUI. But it doesn't use child shares so maybe it isn't what you want.

You'd need to add the three users and their passwords via the GUI and create the documents share (making it private and allocating your required permissions to it) then switch to the command line and use chown and chmod to achieve something like this:

total 1234

EDIT: Having said that, I can't work out the advantage of this approach over one with three private shares called "my documents", "brother's documents" and "mother's documents".

That is exactly what I want to be able to do :)

total 1234

I think the benefit of his idea is that when you look at the root Unraid share you can see a documents share vs individual user shares or hidden shares. That way it is easier for novices to find their docs and keep the structure clean. I have also wanted to do this for this exact reason, I didn't know you could do it within the cli. Although I have it configured through AD so it's now moot for me, but I'm definitely saving this for future reference.

I must admit that I didn't do a lot of testing as I didn't know if the result is what was wanted. It relies on the file sharing protocols respecting the POSIX permissions and I don't know that that is necessarily the case for SMB. I use mostly Macintosh computers that mount the share via AFP and a quick test suggests that this protocol does obey the POSIX permissions.

For completeness, then, after adding the three users and creating the "documents" share, the command line work goes something like this:

mkdir /mnt/user/documents/brother
chown brother:users /mnt/user/documents/brother
chmod 700 /mnt/user/documents/brother
mkdir /mnt/user/documents/mother
chown mother:users /mnt/user/documents/mother
chmod 700 /mnt/user/documents/mother
mkdir /mnt/user/documents/me
chown me:users /mnt/user/documents/me
chmod 700 /mnt/user/documents/me

Caveat: I haven't really tested this with SMB.

Archived