Disk usage always at 100% and high average response time on SSD Windows 10 VM

My windows 10 vm isn't very performance due to the disk usage always being at 100% (as per the task manager). It is currently set up using the default settings through the VM manager, I haven't tried tweaking the xml but it seems like a driver problem or something. The response time is normally around the 50-500 ms mark, well above what I'd expect off an SSD.

"My windows 10 vm isn't very performance due to the disk usage always being at 100% (as per the task manager)."

So you are saying you have very high disk activity as reported by windows performance manager but disk activity is in the kb. This is what I was referring too when I said high disk activity. I experienced this issue with a fresh install of windows 10 and after following the wiki post install guide I now have no issues. I suspect the key for me was turning off windows indexing.

If this did not resolve your issue then it sounds like your issue may be caused by something different.

I just turned dropbox off (it was indexing) and the system performance increased a bit. It's annoying that the disk performance is bad enough that indexing the files can completely kill system performance. I'm thinking about going native for the disk and seeing if that fixes the issue.

It seems lack of trim (or something like that) has killed my ssd write speed. I'm currently converting it over to a native disk but it can't manage more than 10MB/s sequential write. I'll be investigating methods of speeding it up again but for now it seems it wasn't anything to do with unraid.

It seems lack of trim (or something like that) has killed my ssd write speed. I'm currently converting it over to a native disk but it can't manage more than 10MB/s sequential write. I'll be investigating methods of speeding it up again but for now it seems it wasn't anything to do with unraid.

Interesting. What did you use to test this? I have found that many ssd / hard drive benchmarks do not work properly in unraid due to unraid's cache feature. Though I guess if you pass through a physical disk it'd work.

Well I officially have no idea what's going on. When I copied the image to the disk it wrote at around 5MB/s and it was definitly the ssd's performance at fault. When I booted off the disk (after reinstalling windows) the performance was worse (but understandably so because it was a fresh install) but after one restart suddenly the ssd came good and now it's running at full speed again.